Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

TG-6 & Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Lens issue

Started by hedonist222 ·

  • 41Posts
  • 41Replies

Read-only discussion

TG-6 & Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Lens issue

41 posts
  1. Hello everyone

     

    Why is the lens hood showing up in photographs?

    I tried rotating it 90 degrees but its the same?

     

     

    P5161267.jpg

  2. The longest hood petal should be horizontal and the short petals vertical, perhaps show a image of the lens hood installed on the housing?

  3. Or do you have the right extension ring and the lens is too far back in the port?

  4. 1 hour ago, TimG said:

    Or do you have the right extension ring and the lens is too far back in the port?

    No extension ring

    Lens designed to screw in directly to housing port

  5. OK, have you actually got the lens hood on inside the port? If so, can you just take it off? Then try.

  6. 4 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    The longest hood petal should be horizontal and the short petals vertical, perhaps show a image of the lens hood installed on the housing?

    I have it like that and same issue.

     

    If I reverse it, its even more amplified obviously.

  7. 40 minutes ago, TimG said:

    OK, have you actually got the lens hood on inside the port? If so, can you just take it off? Then try.

    appears to be bolted onto lens via 4 hex screws

     

    ill see if I can remove it

  8. Sure. If it's hex screws it should be easy to remove - if you have the right screwdriver!

  9. I was able to remove the hood but it appears that its not designed to be used without the hood as it took an allen key

    something appears strange with this 

  10. 6 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

    I was able to remove the hood but it appears that its not designed to be used without the hood as it took an allen key

    something appears strange with this 

    Oh right. Just googled the lens now and, yeah, sorry, I can see now how it fits on to the camera etc. Very strange you are having that problem.

    The Backscatter website says it works in Microscope Mode. Are you using that? Can you attach a pic of the setup?

  11. thanks for your help, Tim

    but its a wide angle - why would I use it in microscope mode? This comment is obviously directed at backscatter and not you

    I've seen multiple videos on this lens and backscatter but no mention if it requires any software setup

    strange very strange

    photographs here:

     

    http://imgur.com/a/kMULF70

    Edited by hedonist222
  12. Thanks. It certainly looks setup right.

    This is what the Backscatter website says:

    • 81° Underwater Field of View
    • Sharp Corners
    • No Vignetting
    • Anti-Reflection Coating
    • Zoom Through for Tighter Shots
    • Works with TG-5 & TG-6 Microscope Mode for macro while installed

    Is it the same problem through all off the camera zoom range?

    It's odd. It looks as though it is screw-on and go. Can you go back to the supplier?

  13. 25 minutes ago, TimG said:

    Thanks. It certainly looks setup right.

    This is what the Backscatter website says:

    • 81° Underwater Field of View
    • Sharp Corners
    • No Vignetting
    • Anti-Reflection Coating
    • Zoom Through for Tighter Shots
    • Works with TG-5 & TG-6 Microscope Mode for macro while installed

    Is it the same problem through all off the camera zoom range?

    It's odd. It looks as though it is screw-on and go. Can you go back to the supplier?

    yeah its simply screw on

    I haven't tried but I'm fairly certain if I zoom it, it won't show the hood

    physics..

     

    its this lens: https://www.backscatter.com/Backscatter-M52-Underwater-0.50X-120-Wide-Angle-Wet-Lens

    • 120 Degrees Wide
    • Sharp Corners
    • No Vignetting
    • Anti Reflection Coating
    • Zoom Through for Tighter Shots
    • Includes Dome Cover, Rear Lens Cap, Custom Backscatter Travel Case

     

    I've emailed backscatter but they take ages (more than a day to respond)

     

    lets see what they say

     

     

  14. 1 hour ago, hedonist222 said:

    yeah its simply screw on

    I haven't tried but I'm fairly certain if I zoom it, it won't show the hood

    physics..

     

    its this lens: https://www.backscatter.com/Backscatter-M52-Underwater-0.50X-120-Wide-Angle-Wet-Lens

    • 120 Degrees Wide
    • Sharp Corners
    • No Vignetting
    • Anti Reflection Coating
    • Zoom Through for Tighter Shots
    • Includes Dome Cover, Rear Lens Cap, Custom Backscatter Travel Case

     

    I've emailed backscatter but they take ages (more than a day to respond)

     

    lets see what they say

     

     

    Thanks for that - at least now we are talking about the same thing!

    It is really odd. I would have thought you screw/bayonet it on and you're done.

    Time zones differences don't help on corresponding with them of course. But, as you say, let's see what they say.

  15. Need to confirm a few things to get to the bottom of this -   Are you using any type of adapter or quick release setup between the port and the lens?  I note your lens is labelled AOI - I know the backscatter lens is made by AOI, but is it the same lens as the backscatter one?  The AOI version is called the AOI UWL-400A. 

    Vignetting can be caused if the wet lens is mounted too far from the camera lens and some wet lenses need to be zoomed in until the vignetting stops.  The Backscatter lens is supposed to have no vignetting at the widest on the TG-6 though.

  16. 2 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Need to confirm a few things to get to the bottom of this -   Are you using any type of adapter or quick release setup between the port and the lens?  I note your lens is labelled AOI - I know the backscatter lens is made by AOI, but is it the same lens as the backscatter one?  The AOI version is called the AOI UWL-400A. 

    Vignetting can be caused if the wet lens is mounted too far from the camera lens and some wet lenses need to be zoomed in until the vignetting stops.  The Backscatter lens is supposed to have no vignetting at the widest on the TG-6 though.

    No adaptor or quick release

    Lens directly screwed on to housing

    I have the m52 lens that comes as a package with the tg6

    Yes, supposed to have no vignetting at the widest but it's clearly there

  17. I would just call Backscatter directly. I'm sure they can help you troubleshoot this over the phone.

  18.  

    I had a similar lense with my tg5 and it was vigneting  also so i had to  use it with zooming in a bit..

     

     

    Edited by lutfu
  19. my email to backscatter: their less than helpful response

    Hello,

    I am using the m52 120 degree wide angle lens with my tg-6 in olympus housing.
    Why is the hood showing up in photos?
    See attached.
    Thanks
     
    their less than helpful response
     
    Hi,
    What mode are you shooting in? It’s best not to use the underwater wide angle setting on the camera. Also, what housing are you using? Make sure to allow the pocket between the lens and the camera housing fill with water. 
     
    Please reach out if you have any other questions.
    Thanks,
     
     
    I am not using the underwater wide angle setting. I am using aperture mode.
     
    And it should not appear according to the product description:
     
     

    asdfCapture.JPG

    asewCapture.JPG

  20. Yeah, not a terribly helpful reply.

    I must admit to being stumped! It should work....

    I don't know the TG series in any detail, but there is no setting that might narrow the zoom range without you necessarily realising? But you've probably looked at that many times!

    Only a couple of thoughts (sorry): it is at a feasible you could call them and talk it through? I do appreciate that timezones and cost is less than helpful. Perhaps if you emailed them in advance and explained the situation and asked for a time to call using, say, Skype Out and talk it through with someone who knows the system?

    If that's no good, maybe you have to return it? But I do appreciate that is not straightforward either and could prove costly.

    Argh. How annoying for something that shoudl be straightforward.

     

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.