Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

TG-6 & Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Lens issue

Started by hedonist222 ·

  • 41Posts
  • 41Replies

Read-only discussion

TG-6 & Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Lens issue

41 posts
  1. 52 minutes ago, TimG said:

    Yeah, not a terribly helpful reply.

    I must admit to being stumped! It should work....

    I don't know the TG series in any detail, but there is no setting that might narrow the zoom range without you necessarily realising? But you've probably looked at that many times!

    Only a couple of thoughts (sorry): it is at a feasible you could call them and talk it through? I do appreciate that timezones and cost is less than helpful. Perhaps if you emailed them in advance and explained the situation and asked for a time to call using, say, Skype Out and talk it through with someone who knows the system?

    If that's no good, maybe you have to return it? But I do appreciate that is not straightforward either and could prove costly.

    Argh. How annoying for something that shoudl be straightforward.

     

    not that I could find by going through the menu

    I watched several backscatter intro and reviews and they never mention needing to edit any settings or zoom out

    unfortunately on several occasions I've received less than stellar responses from them... 

  2. By the way. Your photography is stunning, Tim. Both on and subsurface.

  3. 3 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

    not that I could find by going through the menu

    I watched several backscatter intro and reviews and they never mention needing to edit any settings or zoom out

    unfortunately on several occasions I've received less than stellar responses from them... 

    Hmmm, annoying. I wish I could suggest more. Chris might have some ideas - he's amine of brilliant information and knowledge. It's so frustrating.

  4. 2 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

    By the way. Your photography is stunning, Tim. Both on and subsurface.

    Oh wow, thanks for that. Much appreciated!

  5. Since this is a wet lens, have you tried burping the lens?  Sometimes air gets trapped between the lens and the port, you need to remove the lens underwater to get the air out.  This used to happen to me often with my Sony RX100Va.

  6. 10 minutes ago, Dann-Oh said:

    Since this is a wet lens, have you tried burping the lens?  Sometimes air gets trapped between the lens and the port, you need to remove the lens underwater to get the air out.  This used to happen to me often with my Sony RX100Va.

    yes but that shouldn't matter because clearing air in gap is to avoid air bubbles distorting image

    air could not bring the lens hood into the photograph - but yes I did 

  7. Actually air between the lens and the wetlens can lead to a wider FoV on the native camera lens and thus to vignetting. But in that case we're not speaking of bubbles but a fairly tight seal. The thread might be tight enough to prevent too much leaking at pool depth though, but I'm not sure. 

  8. 6 minutes ago, hyp said:

    Actually air between the lens and the wetlens can lead to a wider FoV on the native camera lens and thus to vignetting. But in that case we're not speaking of bubbles but a fairly tight seal. The thread might be tight enough to prevent too much leaking at pool depth though, but I'm not sure. 

    Well I did burp the system thoroughly

    Several times

     

     

  9. I think you need to be very specific, tell them you're not in UW wide angle mode (not that it makes a difference) and yes, I've burped the lens and ask specifically if it is normal to need to zoom in a little to avoid vignetting.  They say no vignetting at 24mm - but I'm not really sure what that means - the lens is a 25 - 100mm equivalent.

    I am also suspicious about the AOI branding on the lens - does it have an AOI model number on the lens?  All of the images on the Backscatter website show Backscatter branding.

  10.  

    50 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I am also suspicious about the AOI branding on the lens - does it have an AOI model number on the lens?  All of the images on the Backscatter website show Backscatter branding.

    I have the AOI UWL-04 wide lens. On my TG-6, I have to zoom in a couple clicks to keep the lens hood out of the frame. I realize this may be not relevant to your situation.

  11. 7 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I think you need to be very specific, tell them you're not in UW wide angle mode (not that it makes a difference) and yes, I've burped the lens and ask specifically if it is normal to need to zoom in a little to avoid vignetting.  They say no vignetting at 24mm - but I'm not really sure what that means - the lens is a 25 - 100mm equivalent.

    I am also suspicious about the AOI branding on the lens - does it have an AOI model number on the lens?  All of the images on the Backscatter website show Backscatter branding.

    thats what I did

    mentioned  I am in Aperture mode and have burped the lens underwater

    Yes, says AIO all over

     

    On the back it says Backscatter M52 Wide Lens

    I emailed them a day ago and now its 10 pm in California and they have not responded

    I tried calling via skype as well but no response

  12. Can you share photos of the backside of your lens? where the Backscatter branding is?

     

    I am thinking you actually have the AOI UWL 04 which is designed for a 28mm lens and that would explain the vignetting you are seeing.

     

    Edited by Dann-Oh
  13. 1 hour ago, Dann-Oh said:

    Can you share photos of the backside of your lens? where the Backscatter branding is?

     

    I am thinking you actually have the AOI UWL 04 which is designed for a 28mm lens and that would explain the vignetting you are seeing.

     

    Not really

    See photo

     

    xuNQQta.jpg

  14. I  mean I appreciate your help but whatever I've said so far has been sure

     

    but photo for reference

  15. I just received my M52 lens today. Im running a TG-6 with the Olympus housing. I haven't taken it underwater yet but i screwed on the lens, adjusted the hood and i have zero vignetting no matter which mode i am in.

    Edited by mattleach2114
  16. 4 hours ago, mattleach2114 said:

    I just received my M52 lens today. Im running a TG-6 with the Olympus housing. I haven't taken it underwater yet but i screwed on the lens, adjusted the hood and i have zero vignetting no matter which mode i am in.

    Can you zoom all the way out and take a photo?

     

    Show that here

    Thanks

  17. what strange customer service from back scatter...

    bewildering

    beating around the bush

    vague responses

    I feel I need to get to the bottom of this with them

  18. Sorry just saw your reply. Here is a quick photo from this morning zoomed all the way out

    P5200055.JPG

  19. 1 hour ago, mattleach2114 said:

    Sorry just saw your reply. Here is a quick photo from this morning zoomed all the way out

    P5200055.JPG

    do you have any of the accessories modes on?

    maybe pt-01?

     

  20. Had to look it up in manual but No accessory options are selected.

    On a side note, if i select the accessory F2, my viewfinder shows similar to your image

    Edited by mattleach2114 — correction
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.