Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon EOS R5 C

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 74Posts
  • 74Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon EOS R5 C

74 posts
  1. Speaking about underwater Canon colors IMHO this is a good example. Of course kudos to this talented guy.

    P.S.

    For those applauding for every log video of an A7S I-II-III-IV, this is a 2013 EOS 1D-C.

     

  2. 17 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I suspect a sensor mounted on a big heatsink and IBIS may be mutually exclusive.  If you want to remove heat from a sensor so it can have extended shooting times it needs to be bonded to a heat sink to transfer the heat away so the fan can disperse it. 

    The IBIS relies upon the sensor being very light - low inertia so it can be moved very rapidly to compensate for camera motion.  The heat sink would make this more challenging. 

    (This could be completely wrong as I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do know just about enough about semiconductors to be dangereus..)

    Based on my understanding the Canon R5 C (and basically all other video/hybrid cameras with active cooling, AFAIK), it's not the CMOS photo sensor itself that's mounted to a heat sink, it's the processor. The heat isn't generated by the CMOS photo sensor, it's generated by the media processor that needs to process and encode 8k at 60p and handle all the autofocus calculations and so on.  

    So there wouldn't be any physical limitation to having IBIS and a heat sink for the media processor, it's just that Canon has decided that for most video use cases, professionals would prefer a non-stabilized sensor since it's less likely to produce artefacts. This is an interesting video on the topic. 

     

  3. Damn.. I was super-excited about the R5 C and finally last week B&H Photo shipped my pre-order, so I now have not one, but two camera bodies.

    Of course, I quickly looked to see if a housing is available. And found this https://www.nauticam.com/products/na-r5c-housing-for-canon-eos-r5-c-camera

    $ 7,129.00. :o

    Has it been officially annouced? No details on the website yet, but what could possibly justify 2x the price of other Nauticam SLR housings?

    If Nikon didn't have such terrible underwater white balance (purple everywhere, like OG Sony bodies pre A7S III/A9), I'd be looking at the Z9 again. The Z9 housing is also $ 7,223.00

    It's like Nauticam's decided that anything with 8k60p capabilities merits a 2x price increase. At this price point, it's competing with real cinema cameras like a C70 or even Red V-Raptor. 

    Why Nauticam, Why?!

  4. Because they can and they are GOING too.

    9 hours ago, dreifish said:

     

    Why Nauticam, Why?!

    Because they can and they are GOING too ! Maybe Seacam will come out with something. Will be a similar price but Seacam quality.

    Nauticam prices have escalated rather Sharpley lately.

  5. Andrei, I completely agree with you.

    Here are some of my personal considerations.

    • A housing is an accessory of a camera and unfortunately its price has always been proportional to the price of the camera body, regardless of its possible complexity. Nauticam is adapting.
    • There is an increase in the price of raw materials worldwide. Aluminum has increased by 50% in one year. Actually, the cost of the material in something as complex as an underwater housing I think affects virtually nothing. But Nauticam has increased the price of all its housings.
    • The original GH5 cost less than 3000 euros. The GH5SV and GH6 4000 euros. For comparison, the new Aquatica GH6 costs 3000 euros.

    IMHO Nauticam is reaping the benefits of becoming a market monopolist.

    It's a shame that this all comes immediately after I sold all my ports and lenses and switching to WWL and CMC.

  6. I don't think this is fully explained by raw material price increases or even monopoly prices. What I find interesting is that the price is the same as the Z9; i.e. flagship big-body camera price.

    Historically, DSLR housings have been ~$3500 for standard models and ~$6000 for the flagship bodies with an integrated grip that also led to larger houses. 

    Now, we have the R5 C at $7000, same as the Z9 and the Canon R3.

    Meanwhile, the Sony A1 and the FX3 housings remains $4540 (a lot more than the old $3500 price point, but.. not double). The R5 housing, the closest analog I guess, is $5000. Something doesn't add up. Perhaps the R5 C will have a cinema-camera style housing? The C70 is also ~$7500.

    Anyway..  

    Not sure I can afford this upgrade anymore. 

  7.  

    The Nauticam Board of Directors, or its owners, may have an acute case of greed, or the company might be overextended. One can wonder, in the absence of any explanation, as otherwise their almost doubled prices are hard to explain.
      
    By way of contrast, the Isotta EOS R5C housing is $2,930, great price for an excellent housing, plus one can buy directly from them and bypass local sales taxes. It has the standard 3 bayonet blade Sea&Sea port opening, which also accepts adapters for other port types, such as Subal.

    The Subal R5C housing is $4,308, also top notch, also available directly.

    isotta-Canon-EOS-R5-2.jpg

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  8. No photo description available.

  9. On 4/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, Kraken de Mabini said:

     

    The Nauticam Board of Directors, or its owners, may have an acute case of greed, or the company might be overextended. One can wonder, in the absence of any explanation, as otherwise their almost doubled prices are hard to explain.
      
    By way of contrast, the Isotta EOS R5C housing is $2,930, great price for an excellent housing, plus one can buy directly from them and bypass local sales taxes. It has the standard 3 bayonet blade Sea&Sea port opening, which also accepts adapters for other port types, such as Subal.

    The Subal R5C housing is $4,308, also top notch, also available directly.

     

    Those are housings for the R5, not the R5C - which is a different camera.  The Nauticam R5C housing is set up to use the camera in a cinema style housing and has space for a supplementary battery pack for longer shooting times.  It's quite a specialised housing for designed for video use and not all comparable to the Isotta or Subal housings that you mention.  The price for the comparable Nauticam housing for the R5 is $5159, more or less the same price as the Seacam housing.

  10. Well, I am glad they chose to incorporate cinema-style zoom and focus gears, that's definitely a plus. Also the USB-c battery pack is probably necessary. I wonder what sort of run time you can get with that battery pack.

    That said, I'm not sure the Nauticam r5c housing can really be described as a cinema-style housing. I mean, it still looks very short and wide, not long and cylindrical like most cinema housings. I wonder what the bouyancy is like without arms or floats. It would be great if it was neutral or even slightly positive without attachments, since you can always use the rails to add weight and fine-tune the trim. But if it's negative, adding boyancy by way of float arms will create a lot of issues with trim and stability in trim, no doubt.

    Guess we'll have to wait and see feedback. I'm having a hard time deciding between this option and the Z9 now, since price points are similar and the z9 seems to have a better internal raw codec from an editing perspective.

  11. New in-depth review of the R5 C looks quite promising. I like that you can adjust noise reduction in camera and looks like you can achieve really excellent dynamic range of 12.5-13 stops as a result, either in camera shooting in the 4k60p h.265 codec or in post applying noise reduction to the 8k60p raw files. 

    This is much better than the R5 (10.7 stops in 4k h.265) can do and better/equivalent to the z9 (12.6 stops in 4k60 h.265). In fact, the dynamic range matches the Sony A7SIII (12.4 stops in 4k h.265), A7 IV (12.9 stops in 4k h.265) & A1 (12.7 stops in 4k h.265) and the Panasonic S5 (12.1 stops)/S1H (12.7 stops) results, which is as good as it gets in a hybrid camera. It also matches the C70 (12.3 stops in 4k RAW, 12.8 stops in 4k XF-AVC), so in my view, there's really no reason to pick the c70 over the R5 C. It's a solid step up from the GH5II (10.5 stops) and GH6 (11 stops).

    Short of getting an Alexa or Red Raptor, you're not going to find a hybrid or video camera that achieves better image quality results. All with Canon's underwater white balance, which is also as good as it gets.

    I've pre-ordered the Nauticam housing with the USB-C battery pack, which should sort out the battery issues.

     

  12. Finally habemus papam!!!

    Looking forward to see some underwater clip.

     

  13. Hi dreifish,

    I'm currently looking for a replacement for my GH5 as well and considering the R5C and R3. I'm very curious to hear what you think of the R5C and it's housing.

    When do you expect to get it setup and underwater?

    Cheers

  14. Hi Taylor,

    I'm next on the list for Reef Photo's R5C orders.. so hopefully within this week or next I'll get the housing. Have camera body and 14-35F4/15-35F2.8 that I'm currently testing on land. I hope to be able to take it to the Red Sea at the beginning of August for some real field testing.

    Andrei

  15. That's great. 

    I'm super interested to see how much video shooting you can do on that power bank as well. I think that's one of the biggest weaknesses of the R5C is the power draw.

    Have you tested the power bank yet?

     

  16. 3 hours ago, Taylor said:

    That's great. 

    I'm super interested to see how much video shooting you can do on that power bank as well. I think that's one of the biggest weaknesses of the R5C is the power draw.

    Have you tested the power bank yet?

     

    Haven't tested the power bank, but I think it's a non-issue. Reef Photo Video reports about 7 hours of run time with the power bank. Plenty to last you a full day of shooting.

    For reference, the standard Canon  lp-e6nh battery is ~14 watt hours. The battery packs used in the nauticam housing are ~72wh. So you should be getting 6x the run time.

    Edited by dreifish
  17. That's great news. 

    Thanks for the info.

     

     

  18. On 4/29/2022 at 3:33 PM, Davide DB said:

    It's a pity that Nauticam didn't use the "cinema" style also for the GH6 which is a camera totally video oriented. After so many years we are still victims of the Canon lock-in.

     

    https://www.nauticam.com/collections/canon-mirrorless-housings/products/na-r5c-housing-for-canon-eos-r5-c-camera

     

    That is a definite mistake for the GH6 from Nauticam

    The camera has the best codecs to record on card and instead no battery pack and the usual M24 big cable that makes the set up much less sturdy

    I really do not understand the logic of doing a housing for a camera that is totally video orientated that is really for stills and for that reason I will not be investing in it despite I have the camera

    If a manufacturer wants to have a chat with me on how to design a proper video orientated housing for the GH6 they can give me a call

    I started discussions with aquatica but they too went out and made exactly the same mistake of nauticam

    It is very disappointing the lack of understanding of housing manufacturers and this seems entirely to depend on who they talk to when they design a solution

    So there is a battery pack for the R5C that has mediocre codecs on card but can record prores raw and then does not need the battery instead for the GH6 that has a relatively small battery pack and great codecs on card nothing

    I wrote all of those things early march

    https://interceptor121.com/2022/03/02/panasonic-gh6-my-preliminary-key-observations-for-underwater-use/

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.