Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon EOS R5 C

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 74Posts
  • 74Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon EOS R5 C

74 posts
  1. 1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:

    But then why exactly did you shoot 8K I guess it is my question

    I'm not shooting 8k video for personal consumption or to share with friends and family.. that's overkill. I don't have an 8k TV to display it on and no plans to purchase one in the next few years. I personally think the case for 8k resolution at standard TV sizes and viewing distances isn't really there. You're not going to notice a resolution difference between 4k and 8k sitting 10 feet away from a 65" TV. Maybe once we start getting 120" micro led TVs...

    8k is for commercial work, and higher-end productions do absolutely want the higher resolution for natural history content.  Requirements are driven by commercial customers.

  2. On 7/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, dreifish said:

    Haven't tested the power bank, but I think it's a non-issue. Reef Photo Video reports about 7 hours of run time with the power bank. Plenty to last you a full day of shooting.

    For reference, the standard Canon  lp-e6nh battery is ~14 watt hours. The battery packs used in the nauticam housing are ~72wh. So you should be getting 6x the run time.

    I finally got the 72WH Anker battery pack and ran some tests filming continuously in 4k60p h.265 with auto-focus continuous and face tracking enabled (with me moving around randomly throughout my work day as a target.

    To no great surprise, the internal battery lasted 45 minutes. With the battery pack connected, the combined total recording time was 4 hours and 35 minutes. Just slightly over 6x. 

  3. 10 hours ago, dreifish said:

    I finally got the 72WH Anker battery pack and ran some tests filming continuously in 4k60p h.265 with auto-focus continuous and face tracking enabled (with me moving around randomly throughout my work day as a target.

    To no great surprise, the internal battery lasted 45 minutes. With the battery pack connected, the combined total recording time was 4 hours and 35 minutes. Just slightly over 6x. 

    I replied on your other thread

    The internal battery appears to do a really poor job

    Now Nauticam should consider a complete redesign of their GH6 housing to have the battery pack as I said since day 1 and then we have options as frankly not everyone needs a full frame camera and almost nobody needs 8K

  4. Hi Davide,

    Which of the dome reels specifically did you think had a lot of noise? I didn't notice on quick scan through the backscatter review, and it wasn't mentioned as an issue in the text (which I thought was pretty fair overall in its observations and conclusions).

    In my personal experience, the only codec that is noisy is the Raw codec, if and there if shooting above ISO800. I haven't tried applying noise reduction to know how well it cleans up, but straight out of camera with WB adjustments, raw is noisy. More noisy than the A1 h265 codecs (or the internal R5C h265 codecs, which are slightly noisier than the A1 in my view).

    Andrei

  5. The last two reels. Colors are amazing but a lot of noise. Really too much IMHO.

    Yes several reviews states that RAW is noisy but I didn't think was so much.

    The video seems not shot in RAW actually

  6. 2 hours ago, dreifish said:

     

    In my personal experience, the only codec that is noisy is the Raw codec, if and there if shooting above ISO800. I haven't tried applying noise reduction to know how well it cleans up, but straight out of camera with WB adjustments, raw is noisy. More noisy than the A1 h265 codecs (or the internal R5C h265 codecs, which are slightly noisier than the A1 in my view).

    Andrei

    Do you have some clip online?

    How is the trim of the housing?

  7. Super interesting thread and details here on the 5C. This thread will be a reference to this camera underwater for years to come.

     

     I've just picked up the 1DC in unmarked condition with 2000 shutter clicks - like new and had a Seacam 1DC housing refurbished from the factory. The 1DC @ 4K : 422 has incredible colour rendering. But it seems like this setup is light years away from the 5DC. I also have a C200 housing but no cam yet - on the hunt for a good one. Looking at all the 5C stuff in this thread and online it seems like I have gone the right way - down the Canon rabbit hole for underwater.

    For a while there it seemed like Canon had lost its way but they are back with a vengeance with the 5C. Its incredible how fast things are moving with video capture.  

     

  8. On 12/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Davide DB said:

    The last two reels. Colors are amazing but a lot of noise. Really too much IMHO.

    Yes several reviews states that RAW is noisy but I didn't think was so much.

    The video seems not shot in RAW actually

    Hi Davide,

    Did you mean this one from the R5C? I didn't really see much noise in it to be honest..

     

     

  9. 1 hour ago, dreifish said:

    Hi Davide,

    Did you mean this one from the R5C? I didn't really see much noise in it to be honest..

     

     

    Seeing on a 4K monitor I see a lot of noise at 18" on the blue background on the left side. But maybe it's a crop.

    Anyway.... Maybe it's me but I don't want to pass as a pixel peeper because I'm all the opposite :P

    I have seen other land videos and the quality is very high.
    Perhaps, "having the budget" (I repeat: having the budget) and doing only video, I would go for the C70 which has the DGO sensor and for the deep Mediterranean would be a killer feature.
    However, very personal consideration, when I watch these videos, as well as many others posted here or on Youtube, at first I am amazed but then a feeling of puzzlement always rises up.
    The environment and water conditions are totally different from the Mediterranean where I dive and make videos every week. In Tuscany and Campania, where I dive mostly, in summer we have viz exceeding 30m. But it's hard to make comparisons because I have seen footage in a few meters of water, made with even more expensive systems not achieve anything like that here in our waters.
    Last but not least, you also have to evaluate the skill of the operator and the person doing the post production (often but not always the same person).

    P.S.

    How did you trim your housing?

  10. Hi Davide,

    I see the noise that you're talking about on that specific shot. The rest looks pretty clean. Maybe something was off with his settings on that specific shot and tried to recover it in post? It's hard to say.

    I have a full R5c setup that I broke in on my Alor trip last October. After getting used to the camera, housing, WACP 1 and Canon EF 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 II lens, I can say that the camera can produce some beautiful video. I shot the entire trip exclusively in 8k/60 RAW.

    As far as noise goes with the RAW, it's pretty clean if your shooting it with the correct settings and keeping your ISO on or near the base ISOs. I mostly shot at 800.

    I've not seen a reason to even use noise reduction on most of the footage I shot.

    I'll post some clips when I get a chance.

     

  11. 1 hour ago, Taylor said:

    I'll post some clips when I get a chance

    Looking forward to see some clips.

    This along the C70 are the only two cameras caught my attention lately.

  12. On 12/16/2022 at 1:53 PM, Davide DB said:

    Seeing on a 4K monitor I see a lot of noise at 18" on the blue background on the left side. But maybe it's a crop.

    Anyway.... Maybe it's me but I don't want to pass as a pixel peeper because I'm all the opposite :P

    Just watched the video again on my 32" 4k monitor. The only place I see noise in the blue background on the left side is the macro shot at 0:15 seconds. My guess is that it's a macro shot at a tight aperture, meaning the ISO is probably higher.. 1600 or 3200? Even so, the noise is not particularly bad in my view.

    In my own experience, shooting mostly at or below ISO 800, noise is fine even in RAW.

  13. Still looking for underwater video shot with this camera ;)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.