Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon EF 8-15mm Fisheye Questions

Started by JayceeB ·

  • 64Posts
  • 64Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon EF 8-15mm Fisheye Questions

64 posts
  1. I am looking at adding the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye to my R5 kit.  From what I’ve read on this forum, there really isn’t a zoom range, you will either shoot at 8mm for a round effect, or 15mm, but nothing in between.  I also understand that to shoot 8mm, you must remove the dome hood.

    Here are some questions I’m hoping folks with experience with the lens can advise me on:

    1. Do I really need a zoom gear, or do most users set it once for the entire dive, particularly considering you have to remove the dome hood for 8mm?
    2. If a 1.4x teleconverter is added, what zoom range can be used with no vignetting?  In actual use, is this additional zoom range useful?
    3. This one might be for Marelux, but what extension is required with the 8-15 + 1.4 teleconverter + EF-RF adapter?  I see an entry on the port chart for 8-15 (I’m assuming that compensates for the EF-RF adapter?), but no mention of a teleconverter configuration.
    4. And lastly, what make and model 1.4 teleconverter works best with the R5 camera + 8-15 Fisheye?

    Thank you.

  2. I have used the Canon 8-15mm for over six years now with Sony cameras and the Nikon 8-15mm with Nikon cameras. Both are excellent choices and both convert well to mirrorless cameras with a verity of adapters. I have also used 100mm, 140mm, 200mm and 230mm domes with the Canon lens. For me the best choice is the 140mm dome port. I zoom the lens all the time during dives and have never used the lens without a zoom gear. 

    With the Marelux housing the recommended port extension for both the 140mm and 230mm ports is the extension ring 30. 

    With the Kenko 1.4X teleplus pro 300 you would need to add extension ring 20 to the Marelux system. 

    As you have listed above to use the 8mm end of the lens you must remove the dome shade to prevent the vignetting. Marelux has the best solution I have used for this problem with the bayoneting dome shade. This shade can be easily removed and reinstalled underwater. I reviewed this port in uwpmag.com issue #128 which you can find in the back issues if you are interested.

     

    IMG_3429.jpg

    IMG_3426 (1).jpg

    IMG_3422.jpg

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  3. Phil, thanks very much for your response. 

     

    I'm assuming you've probably used the 8-15 with the Kenko 1.4.  Any comments on the usefulness of the extended range?

  4. Seems popular but I have never used it myself. 

  5. The 8-15 becomes a 11-21mm lens with a 1.4x so you would be able to utilise the 15-21mm part of the range of the lens without vignetting.  That would be about 10.5 - 15mm as marked on the zoom ring.

  6. Thanks, Chris.

    Do you think it would be a reasonable test to get a feel for the zoom difference by using my 15-35 rectilinear and seeing the reach difference between 15-21?

  7. The easy way to see the crop it you already own the 8-15 lens is to just switch the camera to APS-C mode. You will get a 1.5x crop the tele is 1,4x. 

  8. Brilliant :).   I'll do that when I receive the lens in a day or two. 

  9. 2 hours ago, JayceeB said:

    Thanks, Chris.

    Do you think it would be a reasonable test to get a feel for the zoom difference by using my 15-35 rectilinear and seeing the reach difference between 15-21?

    Rectilinear field of view is different to fisheye at the same focal length.  at 10.5 mm you'll have full 180° diagonal fisheye.  Then at 21mm you will have about a 124° diagonal field of view which is about equivalent to that obtained with a 12mm rectilinear lens, however on the horizontal axis the field should be about 102° which compares to 100° for a 15mm lens.  An exact comparison is difficult as the fisheye covers progressively more field as you move away from the centre - the corners stretch more than the areas closer to centre. 

    For practical purposes it will cover about the same subject size as your 15mm rectilinear at full zoom with the 1.4x.

  10. Thanks, Chris.  That helps.  Not as much zoom range as I was thinking.  I will try it with the actual lens in APS-C mode, as Phil suggested, before investing in a teleconverter.  I pick up the lens today, but still need an EF to RF adapter before using it.

    I'm adding the fisheye to my kit specifically for travel instead of the 230mm dome + rectilinear.  I know it's not an equivalent replacement, but understand the tradeoffs and advantages.  I will also use it for local shore diving turtle shots.

  11. I now have the KenKo 1.4X Teleconverter in house to try with the Canon 8-15mm full frame fisheye. The images are taken with the Sony A7R IV and are arranged as follows.

    #1-8mm without lens hood

    #2-At 15mm

    With the 1.4X teleconverter you get a zoom through range from 14mm to 21mm cropped. Without the Teleconverter you get 8mm circular and 14 to 15mm without vignette and/or top and bottom crop.

    #3-Tele set at 8mm with hood, notice the vignetting and clipping of the image at top and bottom.

    #4-Tele with crop 14mm.

    #5-Tele with crop 16mm

    #6-Tele with crop 21mm 

     

     

     

     

     

    DSC03158.jpg

    DSC03159.jpg

    DSC03146.jpg

    DSC03150.jpg

    DSC03154.jpg

    DSC03152.jpg

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  12. Wow!  Thanks for doing this, Phil.

     

  13. Now I just need to find feedback on whether the R5 works with any of the Kenko 1.4x teleconverters + 8-15mm Fisheye.  Seems the Kenko TC's are hit and miss with various Camera + Lens configurations. 

     

    Perhaps I'm asking for trouble stacking an R5+EF-RF Converter+Kenko 1.4x+EF 8-15mm Fisheye.

  14. Thank you! This is very valuable information. I just bought the Nikon 8-15mm fisheye, Kenko 1.4x teleconverter, zoom gears, and 140mm glass dome (with removable shade). Hope to have it in the water sometime in the next week or so. 

    I am unfamiliar with this setup, but the extremely close focus yet wide angle interests me. I have seen some images of CFWA with the 8-15mm, but I am wondering if it is possible to shoot both standard macro and wide angle on the same dive? If so, is this versatility better with or without the teleconverter?

    Larry

    Edited by UWPics
  15. 19 hours ago, JayceeB said:

    Now I just need to find feedback on whether the R5 works with any of the Kenko 1.4x teleconverters + 8-15mm Fisheye.  Seems the Kenko TC's are hit and miss with various Camera + Lens configurations. 

     

    Perhaps I'm asking for trouble stacking an R5+EF-RF Converter+Kenko 1.4x+EF 8-15mm Fisheye.

    I have adapted the Canon 8-15 with the KenKo 1.4 teleconverter and Sigma/Metabones Canon to Sony adapters and it works fine. Excellent AF the only problem is a comparable zoom gear with the KenKo mounted. I see no reason why it would not work with the R5 in the same way.

    15 hours ago, UWPics said:

    Thank you! This is very valuable information. I just bought the Nikon 8-15mm fisheye, Kenko 1.4x teleconverter, zoom gears, and 140mm glass dome (with removable shade). Hope to have it in the water sometime in the next week or so. 

    I am unfamiliar with this setup, but the extremely close focus yet wide angle interests me. I have seen some images of CFWA with the 8-15mm, but I am wondering if it is possible to shoot both standard macro and wide angle on the same dive? If so, is this versatility better with or without the teleconverter?

    Larry

    Hi Larry,

    I have attached photos with and without the KenKo 1.4X at the closest AF focus distance from the box. Photos without the KenKo are at F/8 and those with the KenKo are at F/32 just to compare the background differences. As always the circular shot has the blue cromatic aberration ring. 

    #1 & 2 are the 8-15mm without the teleconverter at closest focus

    #3 & 4 are with the Teleconverter at closest AF first at the wide end of the lens and then at the 21mm end. With the teleconverter you will be touching the port glass or very near the port glass. Without the teleconverter you have a bit more room from the subject but not more than a few extra millimeters. 

     

    DSC03161.jpg

    DSC03162.jpg

    DSC03172.jpg

    DSC03171.jpg

  16. 8 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

    Hi Larry,

     I have attached photos with and without the KenKo 1.4X at the closest AF focus distance from the box. Photos without the KenKo are at F/8 and those with the KenKo are at F/32 just to compare the background differences. As always the circular shot has the blue cromatic aberration ring. 

    #1 & 2 are the 8-15mm without the teleconverter at closest focus

    #3 & 4 are with the Teleconverter at closest AF first at the wide end of the lens and then at the 21mm end. With the teleconverter you will be touching the port glass or very near the port glass. Without the teleconverter you have a bit more room from the subject but not more than a few extra millimeters. 

    Thank you Phil, these shots are great! You have certainly demonstrated the close focus (macro) capabilities. I am really looking forward to getting this setup in the water next week to experiment with it.

    Larry

  17. On 11/19/2022 at 7:03 AM, JayceeB said:

    Now I just need to find feedback on whether the R5 works with any of the Kenko 1.4x teleconverters + 8-15mm Fisheye.  Seems the Kenko TC's are hit and miss with various Camera + Lens configurations. 

     

    Perhaps I'm asking for trouble stacking an R5+EF-RF Converter+Kenko 1.4x+EF 8-15mm Fisheye.

    This was my experience when I tried to use my Canon 8-15 with an older Kenko 1.4X teleconverter on my Sony A7RIV with the Metabones adapter.  I believe the latest versions may not be so problematic.

    In the end I went a different route and used the Sony 1.4X telecoverter with the 8-15 and Metabones adapter and it works perfectly.  The Sony 1.4X teleconverter is a lot more expensive than a Metabones but I justified the extra expense because I am using it with telephoto lenses on land as well.

  18. 22 minutes ago, Gudge said:

    This was my experience when I tried to use my Canon 8-15 with an older Kenko 1.4X teleconverter on my Sony A7RIV with the Metabones adapter.  I believe the latest versions may not be so problematic.

    In the end I went a different route and used the Sony 1.4X telecoverter with the 8-15 and Metabones adapter and it works perfectly.  The Sony 1.4X teleconverter is a lot more expensive than a Metabones but I justified the extra expense because I am using it with telephoto lenses on land as well.

    Out of curiosity I'm assuming you are mounting it Camera-1.4x-Metabones- Canon 8-15.  I'm assuming it focuses just fine even though the spacings are out due to the adapter?  I'm guessing the image quality should be a notch higher as well?

  19. 22 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Out of curiosity I'm assuming you are mounting it Camera-1.4x-Metabones- Canon 8-15.  I'm assuming it focuses just fine even though the spacings are out due to the adapter?  I'm guessing the image quality should be a notch higher as well?

    Yes, the mounting order is Camera-1.4x-Metabones- Canon 8-15.  Focus is good, I don't notice any difference with and without the 1.4X teleconverter in use.  I can't really comment on difference in image quality between using a Kenko or Sony 1.4X teleconverter because I never used the Kenko 1.4X teleconverter in anger as I couldn't get it to work reliably on land.  However, I'm more than happy with the image quality I'm achieving.

    Something I never got when I used the Kenko 1.4X/Canon 8-15 was complete EXIF data from the lens in use,  I got the aperture and focal length of the lens but these were not the equivalent values as modified by the teleconverter.  I also didn't get any data on telling me a teleconverter was being used..  With the Sony 1.4X I get equivalent focal length and aperture plus data on the comibination of lens and teleconverter used.  Here's a screen grab from LR:

    image.png.285911d80ef4cf779e00702754c46e76.png

  20. 1 hour ago, Gudge said:

    Yes, the mounting order is Camera-1.4x-Metabones- Canon 8-15.  Focus is good, I don't notice any difference with and without the 1.4X teleconverter in use.  I can't really comment on difference in image quality between using a Kenko or Sony 1.4X teleconverter because I never used the Kenko 1.4X teleconverter in anger as I couldn't get it to work reliably on land.  However, I'm more than happy with the image quality I'm achieving.

    Something I never got when I used the Kenko 1.4X/Canon 8-15 was complete EXIF data from the lens in use,  I got the aperture and focal length of the lens but these were not the equivalent values as modified by the teleconverter.  I also didn't get any data on telling me a teleconverter was being used..  With the Sony 1.4X I get equivalent focal length and aperture plus data on the comibination of lens and teleconverter used.  Here's a screen grab from LR:

    image.png.285911d80ef4cf779e00702754c46e76.png

    Thanks for the reply, intuitively I would guess it wouldn't work as the installing a spacer between many lenses and the 1.4x loses infinity focus.  Wondering if it would also work with other combinations like Canon R series -R1.4x - RF-EF adapter - lens.   Might be worth trying if people happen to have the equipment available.  Just to be clear it focuses in air as well as water behind a dome?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.