17 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:
You will both change your gear when your camera will fail and you won't find spares it is my guess
The D850 is vintage 2017 still being made
The D500 is vintage 2016 discontinued
I think this year Nikon will discontinue more DSLR. And of course they are discontinuing lenses too.
Normally you can keep going at least another 5 years predating spares etc. So I would say 2027/2028 is your time if you are pushing it
The point is that the longer you wait harder it gets to adapt obviously if you were shooting a mirrorless topside this would be less traumatic
Spares are still plentifully available from Nikon for the D2X which is from 2004, so if one is minded to keep a D850/D500 going, this would potentially extend their life to at least 2042. Should see us out @TimG!
There is no evidence to support that now mirrorless is here, all existing SLRs will suddenly cease to work, become suddenly irreparable, and only function as expensive paperweights!
Before I get called out as being an old time Luddite again, I would imagine that I will have switched camera type a year or two before then!
In fact, very few people keep their cameras and lenses until they wear out. They upgrade them because of enhanced performance in newer models. Camera manufacturers discontinue cameras for commercial reasons. In fact, they want us to buy new cameras as often as possible and spend lots of money marketing new products to persuade us to do so.
As underwater photographers, we are a very niche user group, and the mainstream camera and lens manufacturers do not factor our needs into their design and production schedules. Any underwater specific performance advantages are serendipitous.
The existing ecosystem has evolved and expanded since the inception of the full frame SLR to offer a great deal of choice. Within this range of choices is a much smaller subset of options suitable for underwater use.
Inevitably, it will take time for this subset of options to become available in any new format.
My experience thus far has not indicated that switching to mirrorless is traumatic. I agree that new features need to be learnt, but this is something that most experienced photographers can achieve relatively quickly.
This emphasizes why, for those that have SLR camera systems that they are happy with, I still feel there is no advantage in switching to full frame mirrorless now. There is nothing (yet) that is being missed out on by keeping your powder dry for the time being.
Before I get lynched (again) I should also for the record state that I do plan to switch, but only once there is a clear advantage in (my) doing so.