Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wetpixel Live: Sony a7R V for UW Shooters?

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 54Posts
  • 54Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Live: Sony a7R V for UW Shooters?

54 posts
  1. 12 hours ago, waterpixel said:

    It does,  all Sony A7x from A7II offer ISO 50 as base ISO (but ISO 100 remains the minimum for auto ISO)

    ISO 50 is extended ISO, the camera takes a shot and over exposes it by one stop and then adjust the exposure in processing and you lose a stop off the highlights.  Highlights riding on the edge will clip when processed and not be recoverable in post.

  2. 43 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    ISO 50 is extended ISO, the camera takes a shot and over exposes it by one stop and then adjust the exposure in processing and you lose a stop off the highlights.  Highlights riding on the edge will clip when processed and not be recoverable in post.

    Base ISO is a notion. A sensor has got no ISO it has a certain sensitivity at a given exposure time and aperture

    So what the sensor can or not see only depends on the aperture and exposure time

    However afterwards there is an analog amplifier. This is what maps to ISO. The base ISO is simply the level of gain that is applied to the signal which the manufacturer believes is getting the best performance out. In addition to this there is a level of exposure which is based on middle grey this is again a convention

    A camera may have a base ISO of 50 and another one of 100 but at the end the one with 100 has higher dynamic range this is all you need because you will simply manipulate the exposure to fit in your envelope

    So you never trust the camera when it tells you that is overexposing that is not necessarily true and based on a jpeg with 10 stops DR max

  3. 11 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    I was not being negative. I was being practical

    There is nothing wrong running to the end of the line especially for those shooters that are near to retirement (not your case)

    I do not see however any significant benefits of DSLR at present with the exception of the behaviour of some macro lenses which has more to do with the lenses than the format

    I fully agree with Adam, I know several folks that are still shooting Nikonos and Nikonos RS film cameras. I would expect the transition from DSLR to mirrorless to be about the same as the transition from film to digital, I know I went kicking and screaming from film long after many of my U/W photo friends went digital. 

    On the issue of retirement this will be my twentieth year and I own the A1 and A7R V and I am not about to run to the end of any line. Just because you're old doesn't mean you need to act like it. I intend to try to have the best I can afford until I can't stand up with a tank on and then I will spend another decade exploring the wonders of shooting at the surface. 

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  4. I fully agree with Adam, I know several folks that are still shooting Nikonos and Nikonos RS film cameras. I would expect the transition from DSLR to mirrorless to be about the same as the transition from film to digital, I know I went kicking and screaming from film long after many of my U/W photo friends went digital. 

    On the issue of retirement this will be my twentieth year and I own the A1 and A7R V and I am not about to run to the end of any line. Just because you're old doesn't mean you need to act like it. I intend to try to have the best I can afford until I can't stand up with a tank on and then I will spend another decade exploring the wonders of shooting at the surface. 

    Everyone makes their choices. I do not think hanging on to gear that works is an issue or acting or being old

    My comment was only practical you have something that works and you get the results why change at all

    Some other people instead embrace change it is just a preference. You did and others won't or will just when they must

  5. On the transition thing, I can't say that moving from a D5 to a Z6 and Z9 for topside use was anything approaching traumatic. One of the biggest (and most annoying) changes was remembering to press the shutter before looking through the viewfinder. The rest have been pretty minor.

    But I do think Massimo is right: if you have something that works and you get the results you want, why change it? Yeah, I love the flashy new toys and the thought of some of the capabilities. But really, will the new tech help me take better pics? Marginal. I really have my doubts. It's the same bloke behind the camera. With a D500 I can't say I need faster AF or more pixels; I do like the idea though of reviewing an image in the viewfinder.

    I'm no Luddite and thought the Spinning Jenny and the Ravelling Nancy were wonderful developments. Sure mirrorless will be the way to go for the future underwater (as it is now topside). When I need something new as the D500 system is either clapped out or there is something dramatically new, it'll be mirrorless. Till then, hello D500, my friend. 

    But if I was starting from scratch now, yep, I'd be checking out mirrorless options.

     

  6. Since many people have a large fleet of Nikon lenses, is there a proven Nikon F to Sony E adapter with autofocus?

     

    Edited by Davide DB
  7. 11 hours ago, TimG said:

    if you have something that works and you get the results you want, why change it? Yeah, I love the flashy new toys and the thought of some of the capabilities. But really, will the new tech help me take better pics? Marginal. I really have my doubts. It's the same bloke behind the camera. With a D500 I can't say I need faster AF or more pixels; I do like the idea though of reviewing an image in the viewfinder.

    I'm no Luddite and thought the Spinning Jenny and the Ravelling Nancy were wonderful developments. Sure mirrorless will be the way to go for the future underwater (as it is now topside). When I need something new as the D500 system is either clapped out or there is something dramatically new, it'll be mirrorless. Till then, hello D500, my friend. 

    But if I was starting from scratch now, yep, I'd be checking out mirrorless options.

     

    I feel the same way.  At the moment there is just no compelling need to switch and I would have to sell a bunch of gear, as I have no desire to run two different systems for underwater and above water photography.  I sometimes wish for a smaller housing and some of the mirrorless provide that, but otherwise, my D500 is better  at this than I am so continuing to improve skills would make a difference in my photos, but buying a new camera would not.  But buying new cameras is more fun that working on skills.  Boys and their toys.

    If starting new, I imagine I would go with Sony but I am looking forward to seeing what the Nikon Z8 brings to the discussion.  It could be a solid competitor to the Sony and offer some greater compatibility with existing Nikon lenses, and allow use of my 8-15 without dealing with aftermarket converters.  I suspect no manufacturer is rushing to get a fisheye into production for their mirrorless cameras.  Huge telephotos and fast lenses are what most consumers are clamoring for. 

    I will likely stay with the D500 for the foreseeable future, but look forward to the discussions and reviews when the Z8 comes out.

  8. Great review, Alex! I think you've convinced me to upgrade to the A7R V before too long.

    I have a question about this sentence: "I had heard people struggling with the Sony’s with the EMWL, but I assume that the new, dedication Focus Unit (the first stage of the EMWL) has solved the problems."

    Has Nauticam released a new or updated focus unit? If so, I wasn't aware of that. Focus unit #3 for the Sony 90mm has been around since the initial release of the EMWL.

    Edited by Isaac Szabo
  9. In another thread on here, it was mentioned that the focusing behaviour of the aperture changed with the newest Sony cameras (not sure, which model is the first with the new behaviour) which allows the EMWL to be used without issue. Sorry, I can't reference the thread, but it is not the focusing unit that solved the issue, as the issue was caused by the way the camera acquired focus in the first place and nothing Nauticam could have done would have fixed that. Maybe @Alex_Mustard might want to change that line from the review.

  10. In another thread on here, it was mentioned that the focusing behaviour of the aperture changed with the newest Sony cameras (not sure, which model is the first with the new behaviour) which allows the EMWL to be used without issue. Sorry, I can't reference the thread, but it is not the focusing unit that solved the issue, as the issue was caused by the way the camera acquired focus in the first place and nothing Nauticam could have done would have fixed that. Maybe [mention=713]Alex_Mustard[/mention] might want to change that line from the review.

    The A1 A7RV A7IV and A7S3 have a choice between standard and focus priority for the aperture drive
    Not sure about old models


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. All the Sony cameras I have used (A7RIV, A7C and A6600) have settings to optimise AF.  These are:

    • Priority Set in AF-S and AF-C where you can choose between AF, Release and Balanced Emphasis (default)
    • Aperture Drive (not on A6600) where you can choose between Focus Priority, Standard (default) and Silent Priority

    My preference is to have sharp focus so I have all these set as follows:

    • AF for Priority Set in AF-S and AF-C
    • Standard for Aperture Drive to minimise any focus shift problems.  Focus Priority will open the aperture up for fast focussing above f8 and then close it down again when the shutter is released but depending on the lens being used can cause focus shift

    I have had no issues with focus using the EMWL on my A7RIV.

    In the article Alex mentions several times about the Canon 8-15 on Metabones IV converter hunting for focus.  I've been using the Canon 8-15 on the latest Metabones V converter for over 3years on my A7RIV and have never noticed any focus hunting.

    Another macro lens option is the Sigma 150 macro with Canon EF mount.  I  have been using this with my Metabones V converter on my A7RIV and it works fine.  Focus speed is slow,  but it wasn't exactly a speed demon when I used it on my Canon dSLRs.

    Edited by Gudge — Revised comments on Aperture Drive and added comment on Sigma 150 macro.
  12. All the Sony cameras I have used (A7RIV, A7C and A6600) have settings to optimise AF.  These are:
    • Priority Set in AF-S and AF-C where you can choose between AF, Release and Balanced Emphasis (default)
    • Aperture Drive (not on A6600) where you can choose between Focus Priority, Standard (default) and Silent Priority
    My preference is to have sharp focus so I have all these set to favour AF and have had no issues with focus using the EMWL on my A7RIV
    In the article Alex mentions several times about the Canon 8-15 on Metabones IV converter hunting for focus.  I've been using the Canon 8-15 on the latest Metabones V converter for over 3years on my A7RIV and have never noticed any focus hunting.

    Other than the button and the led the mark IV and V perform the same and have the same software
    That’s unlikely to be the reason for issues


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. 12 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    Other than the button and the led the mark IV and V perform the same and have the same software
    That’s unlikely to be the reason for issues

    Perhaps the Mark IV Alex used didn't have the latest firmware version installed.  I've kept the firmware version on my Mark V up to date.   There have been 6 since I purchased my Mark V in early 2020, and many more for the older Mark IV.

  14. Perhaps the Mark IV Alex used didn't have the latest firmware version installed.  I've kept the firmware version on my Mark V up to date.   There have been 6 since I purchased my Mark V in early 2020, and many more for the older Mark IV.

    Yes is at version 070 and there are many options to set


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Excellent review Alex, it has put into perspective particularly for full frame DSLR users the strengths and weaknesses of moving to the Sony A7R V or A1 which has the same specs and a bit more. 

    I will second those users of the Canon 8-15 zoom who are having no issues with AF speed or lock-on issues. I started using the 8-15 with Metabones III and Sony A7R II. At some point I think when I went to A7R III/IV I had to do a firmware update because of the issues expressed in the review. It now has worked up to A1 without further issues. I also have the Sigma MC-11 and if I were ask to make a recommendation Sigma would be my choice, it has worked flawlessly out of the box.

  16. On 2/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, Davide DB said:

    Since many people have a large fleet of Nikon lenses, is there a proven Nikon F to Sony E adapter with autofocus?

     

    Hello!

  17. Try B&H photo they have several. 

  18. On 2/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, Davide DB said:

    Since many people have a large fleet of Nikon lenses, is there a proven Nikon F to Sony E adapter with autofocus?

     

    Here is a write up that comes up near the top on Google - no idea how good the advice is or which work best and the answer probably varies depending on which lenses you are adapting.

    https://briansmith.com/nikon-lens-adapters-sony-e-mount-cameras/ 

    As is clear from the Canon fisheye - using non native lenses is requires both the right adaptor and even the right firmware to get it to work.

    Alex 

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  19. 27 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:

    Try B&H photo they have several. 

    Phil, don't get me wrong. I know exactly how google for shiny new toys on the net.

    I was asking for a "proven" adapter, if any. But my real question was: if many WP users come from D850 or D500 why I don't see mention about using Nikon lens on Sony camera?

    Maybe is a naive question. Sorry in advance.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.