i completely agree that PDA's have no storage facilities themselves.
But in theory would it not be possible to just use the PDA as a computer basically ... you can move the images from media card to external USB hard drive ... it may be slow but it will happen right ?
If you want to as well you can get Video output for some PDA's especially the new media based ones.
I am not trying to convince myself .. infact if nothing else this thread has just put off off buying anythign for the time being !! I will just get people to rip CD's or DVD's for me when i dont have another option for now ...
It all started with a iPod idea .. then the p2000 came in ..flashtrax stayed in the background for the the whole time as this device hasn't changed in forever and only takes CF cards so the p2000 beats it hands down. The PDA idea came to me so i threw it in here .. and thanks very much for the usefull input ..
.. I would love to be able to afford the tablet style PC's ... they are very usefull and handy for travel .. but not quite what I am after ... I am after a pocket size (even if it is a big pocket size) device that has good battery life, able to store (even if to external hard drive), takes SD and CF cards. I also want to have those simple little functions like organiser .. wifi (and bluetooth, both these came to me when searching what PDA's have nowadays, very handy for checking up on my emails and wetpixel while in the airport etc.)
That article on the PDA side of things is very insightfull and gives me good hope to being able to make what I want to happen happen ... I think I will think about this some more ... It does appear that the transfer time can be slow ... but as I stated .. I am more than likely going to be drinking a beer while doing this .. or at the very least on a 40 min to 1hr surface interval ... and it fits in with my camera equipment bag ... it seems perfect in oh so many ways.
James it may be very good at those things.
but a $300 pda can accept CF and SD cards .. has WIFI, bluetooth ... big screen .. and runs windows ... attached to a hard drive has storage ... ? you see what I am getting at ... ? when you look at other electronics these multimedia storage devices are a little bit of a con.