Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Magic Filter

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 42Posts
  • 42Replies

Read-only discussion

Magic Filter

42 posts
  1. Hi Alex,

     

    I don't plan on mounting it UW, I hope to be able to cut the filter to fit in front of the objective lens of my wifes P&S...keeping it inside the housing.

     

    Need something for our Sulu Sea trip next year.

     

    s.

  2. Ok rookie question. So I am shooting D100, Aquatica Housing, 8"dome 12-24lens SW-CY filter. So why would I use a Diopter and if I need one any idea which one??

  3. Need more info I use Nexus D70 and use sigma 15mm and 10.5 mm . Can you tell me how different between use graduate filter infront of lens during shooting and using graduated filter programme in nik filter and D-lighting technique to reduce contrast between highlight and detail I'm very interesting but still doubt how you can

    see in viewfinder which way is the darker side? did you have any mark?

    can contact me on PM or my mail sumanatemeya@yahoo.com

    NAt

  4. oppS! I did it again!!!

    sorry

  5. Wow,

     

    I have been out for a trip lately and I completly missed these threads. This filter is GREAT.

     

    Please count me in for 1, for the 10.5.

     

    Thanks for sharing all this knowledge.

  6. Hi Alex

     

    I'll be take one for a 10.5

     

    Let me know when they are available.

  7. hey alex,

    i'd defintely be in for a filter for the sigma 12-24 :D

    hope to male it to your talk to night, if work does not interfere

    /paul

  8. Just to reassure everyone. Even if I am not reply - I am registering your intent - and those who have emailed, Private messaged or posted me a message will have first dips when production is done.

     

    Paul, my talk is in the second half of BSoUP tonight - so if you can make it by 9-9:30 you will still catch it.

     

    Alex

  9. Alex,

     

    Ok, now I get it. Wasn't sure what you meant by the "Magic" reference. Guess I need to spend more time watching these threads...except diving is so much more fun!

     

    Put me down for two, 10.5 and the Sigma 15.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Rand

  10. Hi

    Waiting for the magic filter for my 16 and 10,5 fisheyes.... Looking forward to get it ...

    Aparently, it is already impossible to get the Kodak CC40R gel... At least, I haven't been able to find a single piece in Spain, France and Portugal... And, even worse, many shops told me that this gel is not made anymore.....

    Cheers

    Matetes

  11. I'd be interested in one for the Canon 15mm.

     

    Thanks.

    Edited by gregarius
  12. Add me to the list for the 10.5.

    and thanks Alex!

  13. Alex ... can you slip one in ya bag for me when ya come down here .. sounds like a nice little toy for my sardine run trip next year ..

     

    i am kinda under the impression that unlike with CY filters with this one you will be able to use a strobe as well and it own't make the image 'too' red .. is that a good assumption of how this bad boy might work ...

  14. The Magic Filter is designed for available light shooting only.

     

    That said there may be instances when it could work with flash - but it is not ideal - and I can't think of an example where this would be more beneficial to shooting with filter and flash than shoot with either filter only or flash only.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. This discussion has the most recent news on the Magic:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9213

  15. Hi Alex,

    What about a 72mm thread for my 14 mm Sigma ?

     

    Marc

  16. Hi Alex,

    What about a 72mm thread  for my 14 mm Sigma ?

     

    Marc

     

    Can you just use a 72 to 77 step-up ring?

    Edited by herbko
  17. The Magic 77 front of lens filter is just a large gel disc - which is 75mm diameter. It is designed to be placed behind and held in place by a dioptre or a UV filter. We don't plan to make any other sizes at present - but you could easily trim this filter to fit.

     

    I am not familiar with this lens - but most ultra-wides have domed front elements which make them unsuitable for front mounted filters. If your 14mm takes a thread filter then you could mount a trimmed Magic behind a UV or dioptre filter.

     

    Alex

  18. Hey Alex, this is going to be Great!!! I hope to have one before the Bahamas trip next month...as mentioned in my P.M. to you, I might like to have one for the 12-24 my wife is going to buy as soon as I remind her.....as well as one for the Nik. 10.5...Thanks again, let me know how soon!!

     

     

    John

  19. Ok Alex,

    You can put me down for a 77mm when they become available.

     

    Thanks,

    Marc

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.