Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sardinops Sagax Run video

Started by Drew ·

  • 40Posts
  • 40Replies

Read-only discussion

Sardinops Sagax Run video

40 posts
  1. How long was the ride out on the dinghy? The sea did not look very calm! My main bane of scuba diving, motion sickness!  ;) I once threw up on  a 2 minute boat ride from the beach in front of the hotel to the divesite in Dumaguette, the Philippines  ;)

    Errr in that case, I'm glad Eric is doing this trip. The seas usually are ocean swells with wind either creating counter-waves (BIG and ROUGH!) or just rough. And you are out on the boat ALL DAY! :D Also don't forget... it is winter there so even if you can handle the water temp, you come up to cold breeze which can bring your core temp down very quickly.

    Actually I remember Dumaguette has an offshore wind which causes swelly conditions.

    Edited by scubadru
  2. Errr in that case, I'm glad Eric is doing this trip. The seas usually are ocean swells with wind either creating counter-waves (BIG and ROUGH!) or just rough. And you are out of the boat ALL DAY! :D  Also don't forget... it is winter there so even if you can handle the water temp, you come up to cold breeze which can bring your core temp down very quickly.

    Actually I remember Dumaguette has an offshore wind which causes swelly conditions.

     

    Ouch, I might have to rethink this kind of trip! The time in Dumaguette that I threw up, it was a quick boat ride from El Dorado resort to Atlantis housereef so it was not even a trip over to Apo Island (I threw up there too). Although as I get older, motion sickness seemed less severe (may be I am just used to it). Last Lembeh trip was the first time in a long time that I did not throw up even once. The liveaboard crews who were used to see me heaving in dinghy, upon surfacing, resting on the boat were very very surprise! ;)

     

    How many dives did you do in one day. While the camera battery won't be an issue, I could see problem with strobe batteries and possibly CF card (unless I can afford an 8 GB card). Were you on a big boat and just get the dinghy to drop you off at bait ball (hopefully not in small boat all day long)?

    Edited by ssra30
  3. SSRA30

    I linked a report on the run... you may want to read it before sending in the check.

     

    Somewhere in there is the report.

    Edited by scubadru
  4. Thanks for the link and a very good reading, hmmm, yes, I wil definitely have to rethink this whole sardine run. Incredible dives but geez....

    A while I go, I heard of an island not too far from Bali that also has similar baitball type dive, major cleaning station for Mola Mola etc. Anyone has any idea where that is. It is kind of a bit out of the way with supposedly only one dive operator. It is not Nusa Penida or other places around Bali that most people usually go diving.

  5. Thanks for the link and a very good reading, hmmm, yes, I wil definitely have to rethink this whole sardine run. Incredible dives but geez....

    A while I go, I heard of an island not too far from Bali that also has similar baitball type dive, major cleaning station for Mola Mola etc. Anyone has any idea where that is. It is kind of a bit out of the way with supposedly only one dive operator. It is not Nusa Penida or other places around Bali that most people usually go diving.

    SHHHHH!!!! Don't tell anyone about that!

  6. HOw big is the download?

     

    Would love to see it but don't have patience...i hate my slow internet....

     

    Mike, just for you and other modem users, here is a 6.3MB file of the same video for the modem types. You will need Quicktime 7.0 for both and ON2 codec for the big file.

    Mini sards vid 6.3 MB

    The big sard 13.8MB

    Edited by scubadru
  7. Justin and Shawn... just so you guys feel some pain:

     

    Here's some diver with baitballs:

    Video of divers with baitballs

     

    You will need quicktime 7 to view these.

    Edited by scubadru
  8. Hey Drew that was cool, did you shoot that on ya PD170 it was 4.3?

     

    Those birds are amazing, what a great expreience. I bet ya got into deco as well :lol:

  9. Yup PD170 at 5:4

    And that alarm going off isn't mine... I've got enough headaches on the run not to go chasing after baitballs at different depths.

    Edited by scubadru
  10. Damn you Drew - you're driving a stake through my heart! :lol::lol:

     

    Really - awesome bait action with nice viz - but if I were to come I would be the guy swimming all over your video and ruining the ball. haha

  11. Oh yeah - and I *still* can't take you seriously until you fix your broken link avatar :lol:

     

    BTW, I also was re-checking out the Sardine Run Teaser you have up there...man that is out of control incredible! I like the music with it also...gets me revved up for big animal action.

    Edited by jbonehoss
  12. Scubadru,

    I loved it, the music fit the mood. Really look forward to a final cut. Anytime I see something that makes me envious, it has to be good. I'm green and its not easy being green.;-)

    Steve B)

  13. Drew,

    Great diver shots...what was the dark mass behind all the divers and bubblles? Plankton, polution, cloud cover...oh that's right...sardines!

     

    Ok...so rub it in. If we had said..."nah, not interested" that would be just cause to rub it in. But we said "damn, would kill to go but will be killed if we do". that is more grounds for pitty than anything us.

     

    Mercy, mercy and please don't tell us how great it was when you return.

     

    Shawn

  14. Apologies, seems the render was corrupted by my bum graphics card. Anyhow the corrected version is up and even smaller since it's MP4.

     

    Justin and Shawn... how do they say it in Boulder... eat your heart out baby!

    Edited by scubadru
  15. Dru, can't speak for Justin and Shawn, but I certainly did.

    Steve B)

  16. Shawn just for laughing about my housing saga, here's 2003 and 2004... reactivated just for you!

     

    2003 video

     

    2004 video

    Edited by scubadru
  17. Drew - just downloaded the big one - absolutely awesome. Incredible action, well cut, tells the story better than anything I've ever seen (and that includes that French doco/movie a few years back).

     

    Can't believe you did the music and the movie - talk about multi talented!!

     

    Are you going back this year?

  18. Sure Anthony. I go every year. Wetpixel is going too... you should come... it's more fun than the tuna (but you do get bigger sharks there.)

  19. Would give just about anything to come Drew. Thanks for the invite.

     

    I looked with wishful eyes at the wetpixel trip and tried to figure out how to pay for such a thing, but at this stage, I doubt I could even afford the flights :)

     

    Now...if only I could figure out how to get Forbes to pay for it...

     

    :blink::o

  20. Waitminnit mate

    I happen to know that Australia has cheap flights out of the country. I worked in Oz for 1 year + and returned often cos my RTW tix originated from there (ok there was this "sheila" in sydney too).

    No big business so Forbes won't be interested.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.