Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5D official announcement

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 126Posts
  • 126Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D official announcement

126 posts
  1. Keep the faith Todd this owl can be had from a closer distance.

    Contax N1, 70-300 at F4, Velvia 50, rated at 40 iso, full frame scan.

     

    Phil Rudinpost-2618-1124745597_thumb.jpg

     

    Phil if that is the Florida version it is the non-transient and not on the endangered list. The version in Canada is the transient version and endangered. The Biologist that took me out explained this to me so I can't take credit for the showing of knowledge.

     

    Nice shot!

  2. While your on the subject of lenses and sensor size, can anyone tell me if the new Canon EF-S 60 mm macro shots life size (1:1) or an image the size of 35 mm at 1:1?

     

    Phil Rudin

  3. All I know about this bird is that they had to stop building an addition to the airport becaues of these birds being within the construction area.

     

    Phil

  4. All I know about this bird is that they had to stop building an addition to the airport becaues of these birds being within the construction area.

     

    Phil

     

    Maybe it is then. That sounds like the protection they are offered here. Still a great shot either way!

    Edited by yahsemtough
  5. Hi Todd,

     

    I have it easy...the birds fly to me! :)

     

    lucy.jpg

     

    10D, EF 100-400L @ 400mm, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/1600

     

    Stu

  6. While your on the subject of lenses and sensor size, can anyone tell me if the new Canon EF-S 60 mm macro shots life size (1:1) or an image the size of 35 mm at 1:1?

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    As far as I know 1:1 still means the image on the sensor is the same size as the subject. I haven't seen any lens makers using a fudge factor on it.

  7. Does Canon make a 1.6x converter so that all your lenses have the same angle of coverage on 5D as you have been used to for the last few years? :D

     

    I do make a fair point. I have several lenses that would work on FF but I have only shot them on APS-C sensor sized cameras. I'd need a 1.6x to adjust!

     

    Alex

     

    Well, I've never adjusted to something like 44.8-112mm f2.8 since owning an APS-C camera. However I think I will try my 15mm fisheye without a transition converter :)

     

    But you're right. I am used already to my 100-400 L on APS-C. That will definitely be strange to have only 400mm@FF again. And the fisheye with smaller FOV is usable for certain things too which might be unsuitable with 180°. As a Canon user you can not have it all with one camera / image chip size as Nikon photographers can.

     

    Julian

  8. @Stu,

     

    great picture. Imagine what resolution will be left with the 5D when you crop such panoramas. I recently did some 6:2 panoramas, 3 Megapixels left. Wish they would have been taken with a 5D already :)

     

    Julian

     

    edit: off topic pic removed. simply to excited about this new camera to keep on topic :D

    Edited by Jolly
  9. As a Canon user you can not have it all with one camera / image chip size as Nikon photographers can.

     

    Julian

     

     

    Sure, i guess that is why Canon users have what? 10 choices of underwater DSLR and we have 3..... now if they would only announce that D200!

  10. Hi Todd,

     

    I have it easy...the birds fly to me!  :)

     

     

    10D, EF 100-400L @ 400mm, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/1600

     

    Stu

     

    Hey I remember that shot from a little while back. Great one. Bird Whisperer

     

    PS Thanks again everyone for the lens selection help awhile back too!

    Edited by yahsemtough
  11. Any word on accessories? like a battery grip?

     

    I wish they had made the 5D with the same weather proofing they did for the D series. I may keep saving my pennies and catch a 1Ds MkII. I'm running in circles of indecision!

     

    Thank goodness for the edit button I answered my own question... 2 more reviews for us fence sitters..at least it won't be out until Oct/Nov.

     

    Techwhack review

     

    Image resource review

    Edited by decapod_dude
  12. I am not familiar with the EOS range. But if I were weighing up the differences between the 5D and 1DS (and 1DS Mk2) I would be interested in whether the 5D have same AF as 1D series? And how does it compare with synch speed with UW strobe?

     

    I think that the small size has to be an advantage for travelling divers. Its a lot smaller and lighter than 1DS and the same will go for the housing.

     

    One thing that Canon shooters should be aware of is that despite what impression you may get from the forums, Nikon DSLRs are far more popular than Canon for UW shooting (about 4:1). So housing manufacturers are not going to support every model in the Canon range. Now I hope that they will see the advantages in the 5D and back it. But I think that like in the old film days you can't just buy a camera and expect there to be a housing.

     

    Alex

  13. @Alex: I thinkt this ratio comes from the days of Analog Shooting where UW-Pg was very Nikon sided. A lot of people don't change because of their investment they made into Glass what I can understand. But what I'm observing is that:

     

    1) a lot of Nikon users are very unhappy whith the products/product strategy of Nikon in the DSLR sector

    2) More and more shooter take the jump to Canon regardless of the now unusable Lenses

    3) Most newbies to SLRs start with Canon

     

    So if Nikon dosn't do something pretty fast, the Ratio will change pretty fast over the next few years.

     

    @all

    This camera is really on the spot what was missing in the line up.

    I would love to take the jump but the investment is high:

     

    2 Bodies (i don't like to make an expensive trip without backup) 7000€.

     

    If there will be a Sea&Sea Housing so that i don't need need new ports it will be probably around 3000€.

    If not the best way will be Ike propably -> 1500-2000€ Housing 1000-1500€ Ports.

    Seacam, UK or Subal are nice but to expensive.

     

    So Investment will be around 10k-11k € and I don't think i will be able to get too much money out when I sell my current setup.

    Edited by Simon K.
  14. Two disadvantages that I can see in this camera:

    - No real spot, its better then what there is now but still not the real thing.

    - Slow sync speed with flash, a real issue in the u/w photography.

  15. Hi Simon,

     

    Do you think that the 5D will fit in your S&S D60 housing - with a few mods? This might be the cheapest option and you wouldn't have to wait for the new housing?

     

    Alex

  16. @Alex: I thinkt this ratio comes from the days of Analog Shooting where UW-Pg was very Nikon sided.

     

    I was wondering about that. Many of your observation is definitely true for land photographers. However when looking at the underwater side in the last 3-4 years, I don't know how many people housed their Canon D30/D60.

    Canon sold a lot of original Rebel dSLR but it had very little housing supports beside Ikelite, same as the new 350D. Most housing manufacturers also skipped over 10D and 20D is really the first Canon in the last few years that had significant amount of supports from various manufacturers. On the other hands, Nikon D100 and D70 had all kinds of housing supports so I would imagine that there were a lot more housings for Nikon sold in the last few years than Canon.

  17. Aquatica was quick to the game on the Rebel housing and have followed up on the 20D.

     

    They have also housed the Nikons you mention

  18. Two disadvantages that I can see in this camera:

    - No real spot, its better then what there is now but still not the real thing.

    - Slow sync speed with flash, a real issue in the u/w photography.

     

    I don't know much about spot metering, and I'm not an experienced topside shooter. Is it really useful to have smaller than 3.5% spot metering? I can't think of a need for that underwater.

     

    Of course a higher sync speed is great up to the point of having it fast enough to start cutting off the strobe light ( around 1/500 for most strobes ) after that reducing the aperture would do about the same for exposure. The difference between 1/200 and 1/250 is about 1/4 stop; not much. The 300D is spec at 1/200, but it works up to 1/320 on manual. It'll be interesting to see if the same is true of the 5D.

    Edited by herbko
  19. Also to add to herb's points. The 5D has a special low ISO setting of 50!

     

    Alex

  20. Also to add to herb's points. The 5D has a special low ISO setting of 50!

     

    Alex

    Don't get me wrong, its looks like a really nice camera with a lot of advances.

    But for a camera with that price tag ($3299) It’s looks odd that there are some important features(at list to me) that aren't there but they are in my 'entry level' camera that cost 1/4 of the D5.

    Edited by Arnon_Ayal
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.