Back to Bonaire

I'm on my way back to Bonaire this May 18th. This will be my 12th time there since 1986. Over the years I have seen a steady decline in the health of the Reefs. Has any one been there recently and can give me an update ?

Hey Marc

I'd be interested to hear about that too.  Like you, I have been many times and was definitely seeing a decline in the health of the reef and the consequent decline in marine life. Our last trip there was in 2019, pre-pandemic, and have to admit we were starting to get bored with the diving there - even macro life was becoming sparse.

If you're looking for something in the region, have you looked at Saint Maarten? We spend almost three years living there and loved the diving. Really good marine diversity and abundance.

• Sad 1

We were in Bonaire in August 2023, and I was disappointed with the reef health and fish life.  The dominant colour was reddy brown, and there was a lot of stony coral tissue loss disease developing, even despite the traffic light system (move from a green site, to amber, then red, and disinfect daily).  Some sites were pretty sparse for fish, particularly those around the Hilma Hooker.   The best life we found was a couple of days after the full moon,  when the reef at Buddy's was just nuts - fish everywhere. 

Ostracods were around, we found some down south near the kite surfing beach.   DIdn't do too many of the northern sites, and some of the most northern sites were closed to protect against SCLTD. 

Turtles not in abundance. but lots of arrow crabs, a few seahorses, and some lettuce slugs up north. Lots of flamingo tongues.  My favourite site for vistas was Weber's Joy - gorgeous, and no-one there. Certainly less red than the south.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am returning there this Saturday for a week after having spent the same week there last year.  I was focused more on improving my diving than my photography last year, but would love any suggestions for shore dives good for close up wide angle of reefscapes, schooling fish, etc. I will definitely return to to Salt Pier and Hilma Hooker but would love other suggestions for shore dives.  Will have a couple of boat dives too and may be able to give recommendations.

And I’ll be sure to report back on the conditions!  Thanks all. 

Edited by ADB New York
Forgot last sentence
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a wonderful trip.  I am sure the reefs have been in much better shape, and that is sad, but it’s a great island for scuba.  So many divers there, the pick-up trucks dotting the shore dive locations, a very relaxed vibe.   I need to learn much more about coral.   Here is a photo of a brain coral, which to my untrained eye looks impacted by disease and/or bleaching,  

DSC_4085.jpeg

• Like 2

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.