Shooting Anamorphic (Laowa Nanomorph 20mm T2.2)

After the countless and extremely technical discussions about the compatibility of the most exotic lens-port combinations, I would also have a question and my own strange combination.
I am too illiterate to try to make any calculations and assumptions on my own so I am asking you techies. (As I ask the question imagine my face like that of the famous math meme...)

Confused Math Man Meme Generator

I would like to ask you in general what considerations should be made in putting an anamorphic lens behind a dome but let's take a specific lens: Laowa Nanomorph 20mm T2.2.

https://laowacine.com/product/nanomorph-20mm-t2-2-mft/

I found this table:

Screenshot 2023 10 07 at 10 00 56 AM

It has a MOD of 430 mm (not promising for focusing the virtual image generated by the dome).
What is the minimum porthole size of this lens?
How do I calculate the position this lens should have inside the dome?
The data indicate an FOV of only 65° compared to how wide the view seems in the footage.

Thank you for your help.

David,

I have a naomorph 27 mm setup on a fuji aps. I use the Nautical 180 mm with a 55mm n100 to N120 adapter withe the focus knob. I need to  use a +2 diopter to get it to focus 10-14 inch from the film plane(tested dry).  I have not tested in real conditions. Will have a trip at end of month, will get a chance to get some wet tests. Will post as soon as I can footage.

Fantastic lens topside.

P1010121.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tobyone said:

David,

I have a naomorph 27 mm setup on a fuji aps. I use the Nautical 180 mm with a 55mm n100 to N120 adapter withe the focus knob. I need to  use a +2 diopter to get it to focus 10-14 inch from the film plane(tested dry).  I have not tested in real conditions. Will have a trip at end of month, will get a chance to get some wet tests. Will post as soon as I can footage.

Fantastic lens topside.

P1010121.jpg

The 20mm has the same MOD: 43cm / 1’4″

I have ready available a 230mm dome and i have to focus an object at about 5m / 16'

Posted (edited)

Where is the virtual image focus distance (underwater) on that dome? Try a +2 diopter.

Check these resources .:https://www.hydroflex.com/flat-and-dome-lens-ports

On a 8 inch dome(true hemispherical) the virtual image should be around 10-15 inches in front of dome. The lens needs to be able to focus down to 10 inch to focus on the virtual image.

Placement of the lens as to the dome front is somewhat critical. The Nodal of lens, point should be at the radius point in the dome. 

Edited by Tobyone
expand info
  • Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.