Scamming Attempt

TimG

Guys

Sad to say we have just had another serious attempt to scam a member. Luckily through natural wariness and quick actions, this was headed off. Many thanks to the member concerned for drawing it to our attention so quickly.

We've suggested some guidelines before and, given what just happened, it's worth repeating them:

- be wary if someone offering you equipment is a new member - especially a brand new member.

- be wary if you are offered equipment which has not previously been advertised for sale.

- be wary especially if they then pass you on to a third party - even a fourth party!

- be wary of claims a large purchase must be paid by PayPal Friends and Family and not the commercial route.

- be wary if photos sent claiming to illustrate the goods are generic and not specific to the item.

- be wary if there is some weird despatch route, payment system, avoidance of import rules.

- be wary if internal alarm bells sound - respect those spider-senses!

- look for Waterpixels forum membership history.

- look for clear knowledge of the item for sale.

- look for straight-forward, simple payment methods particularly ones that you know have safeguards.

If in doubt, delay and drop one of the Mods a PM. We will do what we can (yes, a bit limited admittedly) to take a look at the seller if they are a member and we'll reply as quickly as we can

So far the forum has an excellent record of fair and welcome sales and purchases taking place with a minimum of grief and satisfaction for both parties. Let's work on keeping that way!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I will add two more tips that I have found useful:

- Do a reverse image search.  If the same photo(s) turn up elsewhere that can be a red flag, unless recently listed by the same person (with verification) on eBay for example. Multiple listings in multiple geographic locations is a clear red flag.  

- Search for their username or ask for verification of another username on other related internet fora.  Someone may be new here but have a history on ScubaBoard or PetaPixel for example.  

On a positive note, I've done a few transactions here and at the old site that were smooth and mutually beneficial.  This is a great community!  

Edited by Troporobo
typo
  • Like 5

On 7/19/2024 at 8:43 AM, TimG said:

(...)

- be wary if you are offered equipment which has not previously been advertised for sale.

- be wary especially if they then pass you on to a third party - even a fourth party!

- be wary of claims a large purchase must be paid by PayPal Friends and Family and not the commercial route.

(...)

I would actually put those in bold - messaging with some sudden offer and then passing off to a third party ("contact him/her on email XXXX@YYYY.com" style) is a favorite modus operandi of scumbags lately. Sometimes they even claim to be passing you to some dive center or other entity, as that sounds more legit, but upon closer inspection email address will have nothing to do with said dive center (which might exist).

Be very vary of payment requests via places that do not offer any buyer protection at all like Zelle (popular in US), Western Union or scammers favorite, giftcards (often Apple ones) - the latter is more or less a guarantee that you are being scammed.

Also be on alert when you are receiving "stories" especially when asking for more details, photos etc when somebody starts writing you whole paragraphs of excuses involving death in the family, sick mother, money for the surgery etc.

Edited by makar0n
  • Like 3

I just got a suspicious EMail from somebody, whom I do not know: Lawrence Williams <lawrencewilliams2555@gmail.com>

"...

Good day,

I am checking to know if you would be so interested in buying some gears in case you might feel so interested in buying 

Sony RX100VA with Nauticam housing and Z330 Strobes and WWL-C wide angle - $2000
Suunto d5 - $400
New! Cressi Scorpion BCD, Size Medium. Great Travel BCD! #1 BCD per Scubalab! - $350
Blacktip Tech DPV with 12ah Dewalt Batteries and extras $1500
Nauticam/Panasonic LX10 with Dual Big Blue 15,000 Video Lights Complete System $900
 Oceanic Atom 2.0 $120New Shearwater Teric - Open Box - Return - $700
Shearwater Peregrine - $250
 Bare Sentry Pro Dry crushed neoprene drysuit $650

prices include  shipping

kindly leave a message if you feel interested to buy ..."

MAYBE it is a serious offer, but this is hard to believe. Who would send out series EMails to unknown people for selling his equipment (and from where does this guy have my EMail adress?)?

Edited by Architeuthis
  • Like 1

stay away, well away....

The "list" is at least partially a copy-paste of existing classified listings...

The Nauticam/Panasonic LX10 with Dual Big Blue 15,000 Video Lights Complete System caught my eye as I've seen the listing on another forum.
It was sold on June 3rd....

https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/nauticam-panasonic-lx10-with-dual-big-blue-15-000-lumen-complete-system.647094/

Screen Shot 2024-07-28 at 17.01.33.png

and the source of the Sony RX100VA with Nauticam housing and Z330 Strobes and WWL-C wide angle listing is here:

https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/sony-rx100va-with-nauticam-housing-and-z330-strobes-and-wwl-c-wide-angle-2500.624506/

Screen Shot 2024-07-28 at 17.08.08.png

you get the drift....

Edited by bghazzal
  • Like 3

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.