Retra strobe flood first aids

Calling to anyone who experienced such problem.

A couple of hours ago, on my last dive of the trip (as well as the last one of the year) and second dive of the day, some very little bubbles and a strange mineral foamy texture exsuded from the battery cap of one of my Retra strobes (original model). I had changed the newly charged batteries (Eneloop pro) the night before and very slightly greased the joints. The dive was shallow not more than 23m similar to all the 19 other ones I had during this past week in Tulamben/Bali.

When I opened the battery compartment, there was a dark greenish brown "paste" coating all the inside of the battery case, the whole didn't look flooded but rather "melting". 

My first reaction was to remove the batteries, most of the dark liquid paste and to wash as much as I could the inside of the battery compartment with clear water in order to stop the chemical reaction in there. I then tried to dry everything with paper tissues. Now what should I do and expect? flood everything with WD40? or even Coca Cola as I read somewhere?

I'm quite sure I'll have to send it to Retra in order to see whether they can repair/clean the battery compartment, but should I try something in between?

Edited by Luko
  • Sad 2

Which Retra Flash model? 

Sorry, just seen it's the first generation with single o-ring battery compartment and no leakage detection.

Please send us any images to email/whatsapp/viber/imessage and we will do our best to assess the situation.

For now just make sure the compartment will be dry so there is no additional corrosive action.

Edited by Oskar - Retra UWT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oskar - Retra UWT said:

Please send us any images to email/whatsapp/viber/imessage and we will do our best to assess the situation.

For now just make sure the compartment will be dry so there is no additional corrosive action.

Thanks.

Yes that's the original model with single O-Ring. Will do as soon as I am back home (first days of january).

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.