Hello from Greece

Hello all and nice to meet you!

I'm very happy to be here. My name is Orestis and I'm a marine ecologist/biologist phd candidate from Greece.

I am really new to the world of underwater photography, which I intend to participate in both recreationally and professionally, with my new camera (canon r6 mII).

I will be back soon with tons of questions about pretty much everything...

Cheers,

Orestis

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TimG said:

Hi Orestis. Welcome to Waterpixels. Great to have you with us. I’m sure you’ll get lots of help when you’re ready with your questions. 

Thanks a lot Tim!

Here, I would like to add some more information about my underwater photography background and equipment, so that I can use this thread as a reference for other threads I will be participating in.

UW photography background

Although I have been in the sea for pretty much all my life and the past 15+ years I have been studying and working in the fields of marine biology/ecology with scientific diving, apart from action cameras and other basic gear (sony rx100iii with single sea&sea ys-D2 strobe), I have zero experience yet in more advanced UW photography gear and techniques.

I only recently decided to take the next step and delve more deeply into UW photography and as I mentioned in my earlier post, I intend to use it for both recreational and professional (scientific diving) purposes.

The good news is, that when I love something, I get fully into it and I do learn fast.

Personal  equipment:

Camera: Canon eos R6 mark II 

Lens: rf 24-105mm f/4L is usm (more to come soon)

Housing: Ikelite 200DL

Strobes: 2x Ikelite DS232 with TTL converter and diffusers

Lab's equipment:

Cameras: Sony RX100III, Sony RX100VII

Housings: Ikelite

Strobes: 2x Ikelite DS160II, x1 Sea&Sea YS-D2, with fiber optic cords 

cheers,

Orestis

Edited by Orestis Papadakis
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TimG said:

Hey Orestis

If there are areas of your scientific diving which you think might be of interest to Waterpixels members, we'd love to see an article....... 

I'm not sure how and if any of my research and scientific diving background would be of interest to the forum.

Below is my research profile, and if there is interest in any particular area, I would be more than happy to contribute.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Orestis-Papadakis

I am currently mainly involved in the assessment of native and alien fish communities, the protection/conservation of the critically endangered Mediterranean fan mussel (Pinna nobilis), and the conservation/restoration of the endangered endemic Mediterranean stony-coral Cladocora caespitosa.

Last but not least, we are very good friends, colleagues, and collaborators with Dimitris @homodelphinius, who is also responsible for my presence on this forum!

Cheers,

Orestis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1