Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Your ONE best shot of 2005

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 223Posts
  • 223Replies

Read-only discussion

Your ONE best shot of 2005

223 posts
  1. Outstanding images everyone....lovin the dog shots...too funny

     

    Hey Chip, good to see you on here.

     

    A little feeding perchance???  he he he 

    Where in the Tuamotu?

     

     

    Busted! We were with Douglas, Ron and Val ... and had a local French divemaster (Sebastien) hand-feeding upcurrent just out of the frame to the left. The shot was with the 10.5 - it was very fast action, and I'm afraid I burned out the lower shark with the strobes, but there's not much you can do in a situation like that which is so ... umm ... fluid. I forgot to note on the metadata exactly which pass this was taken in - I <think> Rangiroa, but I'm not entirely sure. I was in a little cave and my major problem was keeping the grey reefs out in front of me ... as the little bits from Sebastien would float down the (screamin') current and get behind me, the odd enterprising animal would try to get to them, making me glad for the right-hand strobe which provided just enough plastic discouragement to keep everyone where they needed to be. As they say, "Don't try this at home, kids".

     

    Actually - that's a bit of an overstatement. In two weeks of this kind of action, none of us ever felt threatened in any way. The animals were amazing in their ability to distinguish between the edible and the non-edible, even in the midst of great competition for tasty morsels. One curious note - Douglas and I were both shooting our Inons ... and getting the occasional mouthing of the strobes when food <wasn't> present. When I shot my YS-120's, nothing remotely similar occurred. Must be something in the electronics - if I turned the Inons off, the grey reef's interest in them also turned off. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this? I'm shooting Tigers with Jim in a few months ... humm ... maybe I'll just use the Magic Filter and leave the Inons home!

     

    Chip

     

    Another pic from this trip attached post-2288-1135620009_thumb.jpg

  2. Well this is my first post here. I had never taken an underwater picture until November 26th when I travelled to Yap and took a photo course from Mike Veitch. In fact, I had never taken my new Rebel XT or Ikelite housing out of the boxes. So what you see is the direct result of a good teacher. Thanks to Tim Rock who was also there at the time.

    I took about 8,000 photos over the last month including Palau and Truk and gained new respect for folks who take UW photos. I think I only did one dive without a camera, although leaving the lens cap on and installing the camera so I could not turn it on happened a couple times, and can't imagine diving without it now. I hope you like it, it is the best one I've found so far. I'm still going through them all.

    Dennis

    post-5731-1135620679_thumb.jpg

  3. Great photo Dennis and welcome to the pond!

    From a fellow MOF'er :).

  4. Thanks Jam. Great to see the the MOF messaage being spread through the entire diving community. There are a couple more on this board.

  5. wow. some excellent photo's. i am new to diving and photography and only have a sony P12 with sony housing. I have been to a few nice locations this year and have had a great deal of fun capturing shots that remind me of excellent times. my photos are not in the same league as most of the postings here, but the smile on my face has definately been as big. happy new year and safe diving...

    post-5742-1135711863_thumb.jpg

  6. Welcome Stewsmith.......excellent Mandarinfish capture!.....I'd be smiling too :):)

     

    Karl

  7. This has been a year of huge change for me, I left a very secure (and quite lucrative) job in Texas for a position (much less secure, much less lucrative) at a brand new Veterinary School in Oregon right in the middle of the year, and went back into clinical practice after 6 years of pure research. I didn't do much travel in the first half of the year as I was getting things wound up, and I have been on clinics pretty much non-stop since arriving in Corvallis, so I actually haven't dived in >15 months.

     

    All of which means I'm going to have to take a leaf out of James/fdog's post, and put up something decidely NDR. This is what I have been up to since the move. (NB, I'm not the ultrasound operator... I took the shot :) )

     

    This dog belonged to one of our major benefactors. She passed away a couple of years ago, and left >$US24million to the veterinary school @ OSU, we have subsequently named the teaching hospital after her. Chili (the dog) has multicentric lymphosarcoma (cancer of the lymph glands), one of the tumors is behind the left eye and pushing it forwards, causing the third eyelid to protrude. I took this on Christmas eve, the day we made the diagnosis and started chemotherapy for the dog. She is having an ultrasound examination to look at involvement of the liver, spleen and abdominal lymph nodes.

     

    We are treating her at no charge, in recognition of her prior owner's generosity.

    2005_select.jpg

    (This was shot with a D70s and an off camera SB-800 flash behind the ultrasound operator to light the walls, using the D70 kit lens, in camera JPEG fine. And of the >3000 shots of various subjects I have taken this year, I honestly think it is my "One Best Shot")

    Edited by Craig Ruaux
  8. sorry for my english :(

     

    this is my first post

    The photo was taken in Derawan last November

    post-5598-1135769249_thumb.jpg

     

    gennaro ciavarella

  9. Hi All

     

    My Favorite shot of this years was captured during a recent trip to the Maldives.

     

    Taken with the Nikkor 18-70mm.

     

    I just love the colours.

     

    post-4127-1135773673_thumb.jpg

     

    regards

     

    and all the best for 2006

     

    craig

  10. After 42 years taking pictures, the day I have a favourite, or even one that I continue to be satisfied with, I will call it a day!

    Edited by John Bantin
  11. Hey John

     

    merry christmas m8 to you & your family, all the best for 2006.

     

    regards

     

    craig

  12. Mine all suck, but here is one of my favorites. Overexposed anemone on a nightdive in Bonaire.

     

     

    post-4860-1135907095_thumb.jpg

  13. Lanai, Hawaii December 2005. At the first Cathedral divesite

    post-5408-1136147232_thumb.jpg

    Shot with Oly C5050 in Ikelite housing.

     

    Happy New Year,

    Alan

    Edited by Big Al
  14. Some of my favourite dives this year were with the seal pups in the Farne Islands. I wouldnt say this was my best pic, but definately the most fun.. its difficult to choose one as they were all so lovely... :(post-4483-1136039656_thumb.jpg

  15. Hi Jane....welcome to Wetpixel :(:blink:

     

    I enjoyed your website very much!

     

    Karl

    Edited by kdietz
  16. Nice shots everyone. Here is one of my favorite topside shots of 2005. This was taken during Santa Ana wind conditions early in the morning during a low, huge red sun. I went to the Huntington Beach pier at 5 a.m. before work one day and waited for the sun to rise so I could get pier shots with good early morning lighting. Behind me stands an Edison generating station. The sun rose right behind the plant, creating wicked lighting. It actually reminds me of a scene from Batman :(

     

    And yes, I cheated because I already posted an underwater pic. But, like Craig, I am sometimes out of the water for extended periods of time. So I spend some of my day looking for unique shooting scenes. I have a few very cool pier sunset shots, but this one for some reason looks unique. I haven't seen another red dawn like this since.

     

    Enjoy.

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1136045108_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Kelpfish
  17. Alright so i'm cheating here somewhat since I already posted a pic and it's topside.

     

    But I got a new camera (Canon A610) and have been taking some great photos with it, anyway I'd just like to share it with you guys :( B) .

     

    Enjoy.

    It's my favorite because I experimented with a lot of settings on the camera and different compositions to get a shallow depth of field.

    Certainly felt a great sense of accomplishment after seeing how it turned out!

     

    IMG_0292.jpg

    Edited by Jamdiver
  18. And a great teacher too Jam!!!

     

    Lots of great photos still coming out..

     

    Great thread, lets keep er going folks

  19. Hmmm and I wonder who that teacher is....,

    hint hint - Is a big fan of Crown Royal and is prone to altruistic gestures :(:blink:.

    Edited by Jamdiver
  20. Great photo Jam. Mike, if I knew you liked CR I would have brought you a bottle. Next time. Jam your photos keep getting better and better. The ones today on SB were great!

    Dennis.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.