Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

DEMA, NOV 8-11, 2006, Orlando

Started by echeng ·

  • 78Posts
  • 78Replies

Read-only discussion

DEMA, NOV 8-11, 2006, Orlando

78 posts
  1. i'll be off line starting tomorrow, so if someone can drop by the Aquatica booth and tell me where and when, I'll appreciate.

     

    See you all soon.

  2. Hey, guys.

     

    Does anyone have suggestions for where we should meet? I'm thinking we'll time it to coincide with the DEMA awards -- Friday night, November 10th.

     

    A good number of people are only getting in on the 8th and 9th, so the evening of the 10th is probably our best bet to meet up.

     

    I'm staying at the Rosen Centre Hotel just across the street from the convention center. Does anyone know if it has a proper bar? The website says that its lobby lounge bar is "ideal for both quiet conversation with friends and colleagues or for solitary time and personal reflection" -- definitely not what we want.

     

    How about the Rosen Centre Hotel pool bar, 8pm, Friday the 10th?

     

    I will visit the show as well. Partly as a photographer and as a member of the ANDI Europe staff.

     

    Is the Rosen Centre Hotel pool bar thing final? I would be very happy to meet some of you over there.

  3. Hey guys. Well, there have been no suggestions for suitable venues near the convention center or hotel, so I've asked Matt to call the hotel to see where the best place to have drinks is. He'll post both here and one the front page after calling them.

     

    Sorry for the late decision! I've been away for four weeks and will make it back to the states barely in time for DEMA. ;)

     

    Here's their pool bar. It looks sort of small, but it might work, assuming it's open.

     

    poolBar.jpg

     

    argh. maybe there's a better place to meet, but this one is within walking distance of the convention center.

     

    The lobby bar may be a better bet. In the worst case, check both locations. I'll try to wear the whale shark Wetpixel/Divester t-shirt, and hopefully some of the others will as well (we'll bring some to sell).

    Edited by echeng
  4. Folks, I'll be at the Peabody right across the way from the convention center.....perhaps it will be suitable. I am leaving Friday night but if folk want to change the party to Thursday that would be fine by me. I would love to meet so many of you. I am flying out early tomorrow morning.

    Steve

  5. Hey guys -

     

    (updated as of Tuesday, Nov 7th)

     

    As of right now, the meeting will be on Friday the 10th at 8PM at the Lobby Lounge Bar at the Rosen Centre Hotel (on 9840 International Drive), which seems to be all of a block or so from the convention center.

     

    This is subject to change, but we'll be sure to post here and update the front page with the final decision.

    Edited by segal3
  6. Previously Eric mentioned the Rosen Center Hotel, this is a different hotel on the other side of the convention center from the Rosen Plaza (they look pretty similar). Just be sure you're specific which, the Rosen Center or Rosen Plaza

    Hey guys -

     

    As of right now, the meeting will be on Friday the 10th at 8PM at the Lobby Lounge Bar at the Rosen Plaza Hotel (on 9700 International Drive), which seems to be all of a block or so from the convention center.

     

    This is subject to change, but we'll be sure to post here and update the front page with the final decision.

  7. I am a DEMA virgin, but will be jumping into the event with virginal glee. Can't wait to meet everybody. At the Wetpixel party, I'll be wearing a Wetpixel/Divester shirt, for easy identification.

    post-5173-1162904529_thumb.jpg

  8. FYI...

     

    Randy and I flew into Orlando this morning, it is very cloudy and there are occasional light sprinkles. Hopefully it will clear up as the week goes by, but we might stick to an indoor bar.

     

    Kathy

     

     

    Hey guys. Well, there have been no suggestions for suitable venues near the convention center or hotel, so I've asked Matt to call the hotel to see where the best place to have drinks is. He'll post both here and one the front page after calling them.

     

    Sorry for the late decision! I've been away for four weeks and will make it back to the states barely in time for DEMA. ;)

     

    Here's their pool bar. It looks sort of small, but it might work, assuming it's open.

     

    argh. maybe there's a better place to meet, but this one is within walking distance of the convention center.

     

    The lobby bar may be a better bet. In the worst case, check both locations. I'll try to wear the whale shark Wetpixel/Divester t-shirt, and hopefully some of the others will as well (we'll bring some to sell).

    Edited by kathymm
  9. Wetpixel T-shirt and just in time for Xmas. Eric, I knew you were wondering what to get me. ;)

     

    Have a good time guys, wish I could make it down there one year. Maybe I need to plan it ahead of time.

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

  10. FYI...

     

    Randy and I flew into Orlando this morning, it is very cloudy and there are occasional light sprinkles. Hopefully it will clear up as the week goes by, but we might stick to an indoor bar.

     

    Kathy

     

    The weather is supposed to clear up after today and be beautiful during the actual show -- upper 70s to the low 80s.

  11. Rosen plaza, like matt's post says. I'm currently trying to decide whether to get a private room and make this a bigger party. Tentative plans are rosen plaza hotel lobby bar but again, check wp home page tomorrow night. ;)

     

    (We called rosen centre and they told us to go to rosen plaza. Called rosen plaza and they said lobby bar would be fine for 20 people or so...)

  12. CHANGE OF PLAN.

     

    Jason Heller just called the Rosen Plaza, and their bar area is too small to accomodate us. However, the Rosen Centre lobby bar is large enough. We're trying to get an area roped off, and if we can't do that, we may just rent a room and have a cash bar there. Check the front page tomorrow for more!

  13. FINAL LOCATION:

     

    We will be meeting at the lobby bar of the Rosen Centre Hotel across the street from the convention center. Look for a sectioned-off area containing a bunch of folk who look like they might be underwater photographers…

  14. FINAL LOCATION:

     

    We will be meeting at the lobby bar of the Rosen Centre Hotel across the street from the convention center. Look for a sectioned-off area containing a bunch of folk who look like they might be underwater photographers…

     

    Pray Tell, What exactly do "underwater photographers" look like???

     

    I'll be there, and for ye of little faith the weather will be GORGEOUS!! B)

     

    Later, Carol

  15. Pray Tell, What exactly do "underwater photographers" look like???

     

     

    The ones who keep putting the beer glass to their eye instead of their mouth....

  16. They have one arm longer than the other from carrying those heavy bags.

     

    Alex

  17. They have no money left to buy a beer because of traveling and excess luggage. The rest of the money goes to Subal, Seacam, Sea & Sea etc.

  18. The ones who keep putting the beer glass to their eye instead of their mouth....

     

    Mike I'm sure one of the manufacturers will patent that!! ;)

     

     

    They have one arm longer than the other from carrying those heavy bags.

     

    Alex

     

    Yea but that longer arm helps to hold the beer glass up to the eye.... :(

     

    They have no money left to buy a beer because of traveling and excess luggage. The rest of the money goes to Subal, Seacam, Sea & Sea etc.

     

    I'll add for posterity:

    Underwater photographers are those with very "furtive" looks, i.e., "Don't let my husband/wife get wind of how much $$$ I've just shelled out to Subal, Seacam, Sea & Sea, Etc........." :D

     

    Carol

  19. Today's DEMA weather report shows the view from our hotel window to be sunny and breezy. ;)

     

    Last night the exhibitor get together lasted way past the bar closing while attendees waited out the downpour. But today looks great!

     

    BTW...Randy and I, and our NCUPS (Northern California Underwater Photographic Society) booth helpers, Rick and Robbie will be recognizeable by our NCUPS shirts. Or, come by the booth (#873).

     

    Kathy

  20. Roped off area !!! :lol:

     

    You guys are letting this 'celebrity' stuff go straight to your heads ;)

     

    Have a beer or two for me ;):(:D:guiness::blush:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.