Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

First Dives with Uwatec's Galileo Sol

Started by peterbkk ·

  • 168Posts
  • 168Replies

Read-only discussion

First Dives with Uwatec's Galileo Sol

168 posts
  1. Dive 800 now. Plastic protective screen cover and silver metal face fell off last trip when I kitted up. Thank goddness for duct tape. Kinda got some funny looks repairing my dive computer with a big roll of it....haha!

  2. Dive 150 now, and I've just had my second strap break on me. Anyone else has this problem?

     

    The funny thing is the straps break where there is no stress. This time, the excess length of the strap broke for no reason. I didn't get it caught on anything. After a couple of dives on a recent trip, I found that the strap had broken about halfway down the width. It's that part where you tuck the excess length into the back of the dive computer.

  3. Dive 150 now, and I've just had my second strap break on me. Anyone else has this problem?

     

    The funny thing is the straps break where there is no stress. This time, the excess length of the strap broke for no reason. I didn't get it caught on anything. After a couple of dives on a recent trip, I found that the strap had broken about halfway down the width. It's that part where you tuck the excess length into the back of the dive computer.

     

     

    And here's an update on my strap woes. The 2nd strap finally broke clean through about 2 holes away from the dive computer. I wear my dive computer 4-5 holes away, so this would have caused me to lose the dive computer if I didn't realise it.

     

    I'm on to my 3rd strap, and am now reinforcing it so that if the strap breaks again I won't have to do another search and recovery underwater. Imagine if I was diving at Sipadan! Then it would have been bye bye Sol, hellp Uemis... :)

     

    ANyway, just thought I'd share how I'm reinforcing it. Got this idea from my friend, who said to weave braided-line (30lb breaking strength) through the strap and tie it off at the pin. This way, if the strap breaks the braided line will still keep it attached to the pin, and hopefully the dive computer on my wrist.

     

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...mp;l=d5e50ef2e0

     

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...mp;l=7cc4cf9a62

  4. Dive 800 now. Plastic protective screen cover and silver metal face fell off last trip when I kitted up. Thank goddness for duct tape. Kinda got some funny looks repairing my dive computer with a big roll of it....haha!

     

    Hey, that just happened to my Sol too. Also into the high hundreds of dives. Putting it on for a dive, the silver faceplate and screen cover just fell off onto the deck of the boat. The rubbery glue in the four corners just let go of the metal. I dived the next 10 dives without the faceplate. Now I'm home again, I will use some epoxy glue to stick it back on (although it does look quite retro without its faceplate).

     

    Regards

    Peter

  5. Hey, that just happened to my Sol too. Also into the high hundreds of dives. Putting it on for a dive, the silver faceplate and screen cover just fell off onto the deck of the boat. The rubbery glue in the four corners just let go of the metal. I dived the next 10 dives without the faceplate. Now I'm home again, I will use some epoxy glue to stick it back on (although it does look quite retro without its faceplate).

     

    Regards

    Peter

     

    I left the duct tape on mine...it gets raised eye brows but looks cool.

     

    Just lost one bar on my 4th battery at 897 dives most likely need changed within the month.

  6. I left the duct tape on mine...it gets raised eye brows but looks cool.

     

    Just lost one bar on my 4th battery at 897 dives most likely need changed within the month.

     

    This afternoon I used some Araldite (epoxy resin glue) to stick the face plate back on. Looks OK again but we'll see how the glue holds up in seawater.

     

    Hundreds of dives later, I still reckon the Galileo Sol is the best dive computer, especially for UW photographers who need a quick one-glance look at all their vital stats.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  7. My strap fell off the other day and I had to search for about 5 minutes to find the computer! Luckily it was shallow - would have been a pain on a deep wall!

     

    Alex

  8. My strap fell off the other day and I had to search for about 5 minutes to find the computer! Luckily it was shallow - would have been a pain on a deep wall!

     

    Alex

     

    Alex I'm sure that gave you a heart attack! My strap was actually pretty brittle. I could break it just by folding it in half. I'm wondering if this is a batch problem as someone mentioned earlier, or it's common.

  9. My strap fell off the other day and I had to search for about 5 minutes to find the computer! Luckily it was shallow - would have been a pain on a deep wall!

     

    Alex

     

    Yeah I was worried about that also so I've looped a CANON p&s wrist strap through the battery compartment on the top and that goes around my wrist also, although I've never had an issue of it even remotely coming off.

     

    Peterbkk you're right I love this computer and it has 3 gas modes also for tech diving which is a nice back up to for the dive plan.

  10. Unfortunatley an old problem has returned. In 2009 I sent the transmitter back as it stopped reading an accurate tank pressure. The replacement transmitter now won't read a full tank. It shows 180 bar and is once again dropping about 5 bar every 6 - 10 dives. Looks like I'll need a another replacement.

    I got about 530 dives out of this one but if I have to replace the transmitter every 2 years I won't be a happy bunny although warranty did cover it.

     

    Currently about 930 dives and my 4th battery is now down 2 bars and needs replaced. 1 Battery then = approx 232 x 60 min dives. Not quiet what they advertised.

  11. Uemis went under some time ago. A victim of the increasing value of the Swiss Franc. Scubapro/Uwatec moved production to Indonesia and had a bad batch of straps, now replaced.

    Edited by John Bantin
  12. Dive 150 now, and I've just had my second strap break on me. Anyone else has this problem?

    The funny thing is the straps break where there is no stress. This time, the excess length of the strap broke for no reason. I didn't get it caught on anything. After a couple of dives on a recent trip, I found that the strap had broken about halfway down the width. It's that part where you tuck the excess length into the back of the dive computer.

     

    yup.. my strap broke on one end at 200 dives and is now half broken on the buckle side at 220 dives... antacid can u show detailed way how u weave the threading/braid?

    also I have a small wrist how do i securely sit it on my arm cos even at the last two buckles it keeps sliding off and dangles at the wrist

     

    The transmitter is showing 30 extra bars since 160 dives!!

    How do I recalibrate it ? Anyone can advise? I email UWATEC but had no answers

    Edited by meimei
  13. yup.. my strap broke on one end at 200 dives and is now half broken on the buckle side at 220 dives... antacid can u show detailed way how u weave the threading/braid?

    also I have a small wrist how do i securely sit it on my arm cos even at the last two buckles it keeps sliding off and dangles at the wrist

     

    The transmitter is showing 30 extra bars since 160 dives!!

    How do I recalibrate it ? Anyone can advise? I email UWATEC but had no answers

     

    I'm on my 3rd strap in 3 years.. and I've gotten quite paranoid, so I've threaded the strap with braided fishing line. This way, if the strap breaks it'll still stay on my wrist. I'll post pictures of how it looks like when I get home.

     

    And I just had another amazing encounter with the Sol... at the end of the dive as I was climbing up onto the boat, I checked the dive computer and everything was fine. I took off the BCD, put my hand on the ladder and found that my Sol was all black. The silver faceplate and plastic screen protector had fallen off! Anyway, the Sol now looks more compact and cool without the faceplate, except it now has 4 ugly white patches in the corner which must have been the sticky tape holding the faceplate in place. :)

  14. I'm on my 3rd strap in 3 years.. and I've gotten quite paranoid, so I've threaded the strap with braided fishing line. This way, if the strap breaks it'll still stay on my wrist. I'll post pictures of how it looks like when I get home.

     

    And I just had another amazing encounter with the Sol... at the end of the dive as I was climbing up onto the boat, I checked the dive computer and everything was fine. I took off the BCD, put my hand on the ladder and found that my Sol was all black. The silver faceplate and plastic screen protector had fallen off! Anyway, the Sol now looks more compact and cool without the faceplate, except it now has 4 ugly white patches in the corner which must have been the sticky tape holding the faceplate in place. :)

     

    After several years and hundreds of dives, no problems with the strap.

     

    But, the silver faceplate did fall off last year. If you like the black look, the white patches of old rubber glue easily scrape off. Or a bit of epoxy resin glue will fix the faceplate securely back on to the computer.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  15. I'm on my 3rd strap in 3 years.. and I've gotten quite paranoid, so I've threaded the strap with braided fishing line. This way, if the strap breaks it'll still stay on my wrist. I'll post pictures of how it looks like when I get home.

     

    And I just had another amazing encounter with the Sol... at the end of the dive as I was climbing up onto the boat, I checked the dive computer and everything was fine. I took off the BCD, put my hand on the ladder and found that my Sol was all black. The silver faceplate and plastic screen protector had fallen off! Anyway, the Sol now looks more compact and cool without the faceplate, except it now has 4 ugly white patches in the corner which must have been the sticky tape holding the faceplate in place. :)

     

    antacid

    great thanks... I did see the other 2 photos u posted sometime back... but cant see the detailed weaving 'path'

    my partner's face plate dropped off some time back too... but stuck it back w superglue

    also if u do safety stop w a friend who is also using a heart rate monitor the reading goes bonkers..

    I just had a 195bpm reading!!

     

    peterbkk

    I cannot believe it.. u must be v lucky to get a ultimate strap...

    do u wear your galileo loose? and on wrist or further up your arm?

    what is your secret?

     

    anyone have a solution to calibrate the transmitter??

    Edited by meimei
  16. New forum member with a new Galileo Sol here, with a few questions.

     

    My unit talks with my PC using the UWATEC IRDA dongle, but the Firmware V1.6 updater crashes. In SmartTrak 2.0703, the Options:Galileo Setup menu opens Galileo Setup 1.043. When I use the software tab to try and load the V1.6 firmware, the application goes "not responding" and no progress bars appear on the Sol. In fact, the Sol locks up and require a battery cap loosen/tighten to reboot it. I have tried the firmware update with fast/slow IRDA on PCs running WinXP, Vista, Win7(32) and Win7(64) and get the same failure. Anyone have any success?

     

    How about that breathing sensitivity? It has a sliding scale but no advice on why one would set it high, low or medium.

     

    Thanks for the help!

  17. How about that breathing sensitivity? It has a sliding scale but no advice on why one would set it high, low or medium.

     

    Can't help on the PC interface. That's never been a strength of Uwatec. The Windows software is lousy and the Mac software is abysmal. I use the Sol during diving but also wear a Suunto for logging the dives.

     

    On the breathing sensitivity, it is a case of trial and error. Keep adjusting it down until it only warns you when you really are working hard and breathing fast.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  18. yup.. my strap broke on one end at 200 dives and is now half broken on the buckle side at 220 dives... antacid can u show detailed way how u weave the threading/braid?

    also I have a small wrist how do i securely sit it on my arm cos even at the last two buckles it keeps sliding off and dangles at the wrist

     

    The transmitter is showing 30 extra bars since 160 dives!!

    How do I recalibrate it ? Anyone can advise? I email UWATEC but had no answers

     

     

    My strap still looks like new even with all the duct tape holding the face on!

     

    Your (transmitter) pressure transducer is out of span. It is not possible to span it yourself. My 2nd transducer (transmitter) now has the exact same fault as my first one. I too have not had a response from scubapro although its only been a week since I emailed them?

     

    Bought myself an OSTC 2N as my new primary computer now anyhow........I so love it, especially since its fully programmable with a super clear OLED screen!

  19. Ah, so my vendor (Beaver Divers - great service and prices for full warranty internet ScubaPro sales) had a chat with the ScubaPro technical people, who said V1.6 is for the Luna but not the Sol. Not what you would gather from looking at the website.

     

    But I just noticed the beta release of the Trimix upgrade by application on the US website.

  20. Sol round tripped to HK again. New transmitter!

     

    Great job scubapro/Uwatec!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.