Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NIKON D90

Started by JimSwims ·

  • 79Posts
  • 79Replies

Read-only discussion

NIKON D90

79 posts
  1. I've got my new gear set up for my Nikon D90.

    I am planning to use it next week. Aquatica D90 + DS 125 + Tokina 10-17

     

    3497659304_2d72c1b831_b.jpg

  2. I have got myself a new Nexus D90 housing. I run it with a pair of D2000 firing optically. The housing is about 800g lighter than the Aquatica which was also under consideration.

     

    Did 3 dives in Aquatica D90 housing (my buddy's) and a Nexus D80 housing (another buddy's) over 2 separate occassions. In the end, the ability to use optical fibre + electical bulkheads and lighter and smaller form factor won me over.

     

    I also did a try out dive with new Nexus gears over the weekend at local dive site. Works well with good ergonomics. A definite value for money housing at US$2500. Really makes packing and handling easier with its smaller size :lol:

  3. Im going to buy the same equipment as Bigeye, but i will use S&S 110 strobes.

  4. I have got myself a new Nexus D90 housing. I run it with a pair of D2000 firing optically. The housing is about 800g lighter than the Aquatica which was also under consideration.

     

    Did 3 dives in Aquatica D90 housing (my buddy's) and a Nexus D80 housing (another buddy's) over 2 separate occassions. In the end, the ability to use optical fibre + electical bulkheads and lighter and smaller form factor won me over.

     

    I also did a try out dive with new Nexus gears over the weekend at local dive site. Works well with good ergonomics. A definite value for money housing at US$2500. Really makes packing and handling easier with its smaller size :lol:

     

    The optical connections are of great interest to me, having two Z-240's already.

    But I fail to see the smaller size of a Nexus. I have not seen the Aq. or Nexus housing in person but based on this website's data

    D90 Housing comparison

     

    I calculate the following volumes: (all volumes listed are x10E6 mm3 values)

    Aquatica D90: 4.9

    Ike D90 6.8

    Nexus D90 7.1

    Patima D90 4.2

     

    I called Backscatter and they meaured the Aq. 90 housing, which matches the 0.49m3 volume.

     

    This website

    Patima D90 info

    The patima D90 volume is 4.65

    HOWEVER, after calling Reefphoto and having them measure a Patima, its volume is 0.75 m3

     

    BIG HOWEVER, the Patima D90 CANNOT zoom the Tokina 10-17 as there is no zoom gear on the housing, only on extensions - which will not reach the tokina lens zoom ring, according to Reefphoto.

  5. I called Backscatter and they meaured the Aq. 90 housing, which matches the 0.49m3 volume.

     

     

    HOWEVER, after calling Reefphoto and having them measure a Patima, its volume is 0.75 m3

     

    Two Typo's from me. The numbers should be 4.9 and 7.5 X10E6 mm3.

     

    Dave

  6. I've got my new gear set up for my Nikon D90.

    I am planning to use it next week. Aquatica D90 + DS 125 + Tokina 10-17

    That is such a cool setup. Is it the 9.25" megagiga dome? What are the advantages over the 8"? The price difference is really big...

     

    I have the d90 with the 10-17 tokina but I haven't bought a housing for it yet. considering the aquatica with ike 160 do I need two? :lol:

  7. The optical connections are of great interest to me, having two Z-240's already.

    But I fail to see the smaller size of a Nexus. I have not seen the Aq. or Nexus housing in person but based on this website's data

    D90 Housing comparison

     

    I calculate the following volumes: (all volumes listed are x10E6 mm3 values)

    Aquatica D90: 4.9

    Ike D90 6.8

    Nexus D90 7.1

    Patima D90 4.2

     

    I called Backscatter and they meaured the Aq. 90 housing, which matches the 0.49m3 volume.

     

    This website

    Patima D90 info

    The patima D90 volume is 4.65

    HOWEVER, after calling Reefphoto and having them measure a Patima, its volume is 0.75 m3

     

    BIG HOWEVER, the Patima D90 CANNOT zoom the Tokina 10-17 as there is no zoom gear on the housing, only on extensions - which will not reach the tokina lens zoom ring, according to Reefphoto.

     

    The website comparisions are funny and dubious at best. From what I have used and seen some of the housing dimensions in the comparison charts does not includes the dimensions of the housing handles. How can the Ikelite be smaller than some housings? And the Patima housings are definitely bigger than the Nexus and Aquatica. Do not that housing websites usually do not put in dimensions with handles. Selective marketing.

     

    No point arguing the form factors over the internet. Best is for one to visit a shop that has most of the housings and hold it in your hands. U will agree with me after you have tried.

  8. The Nexus appears to be the only D90 housing for sale in the U.S. that has optical fiber and can zoom the Tokina 10-17.

     

    Patima cannot zoom the 10-17 but can fire via optical fiber.

     

    Aquatica, Ikelite, Subal cannot fire via optical fiber.

  9. The Nexus appears to be the only D90 housing for sale in the U.S. that has optical fiber and can zoom the Tokina 10-17.

     

    Patima cannot zoom the 10-17 but can fire via optical fiber.

     

    Aquatica, Ikelite, Subal cannot fire via optical fiber.

     

     

    I dun know where your news came from but the Patima housing for Nikon cameras cannot be optically fired. Only the Patima housing for Canon housing is optical fiber ready.

     

    www.patimahousing.com

  10. The Nexus appears to be the only D90 housing for sale in the U.S. that has optical fiber and can zoom the Tokina 10-17.

     

    Patima cannot zoom the 10-17 but can fire via optical fiber.

     

    Aquatica, Ikelite, Subal cannot fire via optical fiber.

     

     

    Patima D90 housing has no sockets for optic cable.

    Only nikonos 5 pins or so-called "Patima-type" 5 pins.

  11. Patima D90 housing has no sockets for optic cable.

    Only nikonos 5 pins or so-called "Patima-type" 5 pins.

     

    Reef Photo claims to have Patima D90 housings with fiber optics on their way to them now.

  12. That is such a cool setup. Is it the 9.25" megagiga dome? What are the advantages over the 8"? The price difference is really big...

     

    I have the d90 with the 10-17 tokina but I haven't bought a housing for it yet. considering the aquatica with ike 160 do I need two? :lol:

     

    Thanks Knut,

     

    This is the 8" plexi dome. No cash for the 9,25" mega "ubber" dome. I believe that the 9,25" is made of glass instead of plexi which is more fragile. Jean (Viz) can confirm. He helped me to set up my rig (Thank you Jean).

     

    If your plan is to use your tokina 10-17, it means that you want to shoot wide-angle... and you will need light.

    Two strobes is better as you will not suffer from strong shadows. If you can not afford to buy another DS 160, you can look for a DS125 on ebay (I bought mine from a pro UW photographer on Ebay). Or even simply get a cheap DS 51.

    Before getting this second DS 125, I was using a DS51 as secondary strobe and the result was really good with a canon G9.

     

    See the difference:

    One strobe (DS 125): http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigeyebubblef...57609394210014/

    Two strobes (DS 125 + DS 51): http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigeyebubblef...57605672470809/

  13. The 9.25" Mega dome is indded made of BK-7 glass and is coated both for antireflection and scratches protection. It also includes the dome shade and dome shade neoprene cover

     

    The 8" and 6" are made from optical grade acrylic.

     

    There are pros and cons for both, glass has a small advantage until you put a scratch on it, then you wish you had bought the acrylic wich can be field repaired very often as well minor ones tend to blend in the water due to the density of both medium being quite similar. Large glass will make you definetly happy when doing split shots or using ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) rectilinear lenses. (but then again the 8 inchers fare pretty well also.

  14. weitwinkel ???

  15. The Patima D90 housing is sitting in the display case at Reef Photo now.

     

    Phil

  16. weitwinkel ???

    "Wide angle" in german :lol:

  17. Peter is more familiar with the wet winky :lol:

  18. The optical connections are of great interest to me, having two Z-240's already.

    But I fail to see the smaller size of a Nexus. I have not seen the Aq. or Nexus housing in person but based on this website's data

    D90 Housing comparison

     

    I calculate the following volumes: (all volumes listed are x10E6 mm3 values)

    Aquatica D90: 4.9

    Ike D90 6.8

    Nexus D90 7.1

    Patima D90 4.2

     

    I called Backscatter and they meaured the Aq. 90 housing, which matches the 0.49m3 volume.

     

    This website

    Patima D90 info

    The patima D90 volume is 4.65

    HOWEVER, after calling Reefphoto and having them measure a Patima, its volume is 0.75 m3

     

    BIG HOWEVER, the Patima D90 CANNOT zoom the Tokina 10-17 as there is no zoom gear on the housing, only on extensions - which will not reach the tokina lens zoom ring, according to Reefphoto.

     

    Dave,

     

    I have the Nexus D90 housing. The Nikon D80 is the same size as the D90. The Nexus D80 housing can be retro-fitted for the D90 (basiclly larger screen and button repositioning). I looked at the Aquatica and ikelite housings for the D80 before chosing the Nexus housing which is smaller and lighter than either of the other housings.

     

    I don't include my ears when I measure for my hat size. :lol:

     

    Regards,

    Bob

  19. There seem to be speculation as for the actual size and weight of the housing so here is the Aquatica dimension and weight as measured by yours truly, for good measure I added the dimension with and without grips and the weight is the housing including the grips (you should include your ears when weighting yourself, :lol: )

     

    Specifications of Aquatica D90 from our website http://www.aquatica.ca/subpages/catalog/housings/ad90.html

     

    Depth rating: 300 feet/90 meters

    Size: W 8.5” (13.25" with grip attached) x D 5.25" x H 6.75” / W 21.6cm (33.6cm with grips attached) x D 13.3cm x H 17.15 cm

    Weight with grips: 6.25 lbs. 2.83 kg

  20. There seem to be speculation as for the actual size and weight of the housing so here is the Aquatica dimension and weight as measured by yours truly, for good measure I added the dimension with and without grips and the weight is the housing including the grips (you should include your ears when weighting yourself, :lol: )

     

    Specifications of Aquatica D90 from our website http://www.aquatica.ca/subpages/catalog/housings/ad90.html

     

    Depth rating: 300 feet/90 meters

    Size: W 8.5” (13.25" with grip attached) x D 5.25" x H 6.75” / W 21.6cm (33.6cm with grips attached) x D 13.3cm x H 17.15 cm

    Weight with grips: 6.25 lbs. 2.83 kg

     

    thanks for the info.

    You appear to have a copy/paste error on the web page you list, it contains a reference to a D80 on the verbage that you might want to correct.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.