Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NIKON D90

Started by JimSwims ·

  • 79Posts
  • 79Replies

Read-only discussion

NIKON D90

79 posts
  1. I looked at the D90 housing for a few month and finally went with Aquatica. Just ordered it last week through Backscatter. I haven't recieved it yet. I did get to handle the camera/housing at OurWorldUnderWater in Feb and liked it.

     

    Kirk

     

     

    Hi Kirk,

     

    have you got your new toy yet and if so have you been for a splash with it?

     

     

     

     

     

     

    One thing I'm sure of is with all the research :dance: I've been doing into housing this baby, there is very little information online for any independent

     

    assessment into what is going to be a very expensive purchase for me. That goes double for the Nexus option, it's all Japanese to me. I'm sure they

     

    must be losing sales as a consequence. Housing a DSLR for the first time is very perplexing, especially when playing mix and match with add-ons and

     

    the lack of solid information explaining all options and any pitfalls on the manufacturers websites doesn't give a remote buyer the confidence required

    to move forward. I know I'm probably :P but I guess in some cases this lack of info is designed to direct buyers to distributors and to

    consequently discourage accessorizing with alternative brand items.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Anyhow, stepping down from my little soapbox now :) The other day when I was discussing getting one of the compact dome ports for the Tokina 10-17mm

     

    a knowledgeable friend suggested that there could be some issues with reflections when using one. Is anyone out there using the Nexus Fisheye Port ZP1017

     

    or the Aquatica 6" Port. Can these domes be effectively used with the 10-17, is there vignetting with the shade on and if you have to use that way do you

     

    have any issues with reflections particularly near the surface? Cheers,

    Jim ;)

  2. Hi Kirk,

     

    have you got your new toy yet and if so have you been for a splash with it?

     

     

    No I have not recieved my housing yet.

     

    Kirk

  3. Hi everybody !

    I 've just recieved my Nexus housing !

    Can anybody e-mail me please ?

    I'm looking for an english notice... :angry:

  4. wideanglelens,

     

    Were you able to use the TTL mode on the D2000 flashes, or did you adjust the settings manually? I'm looking at upgrading my old P&S setup with a D2000 by getting a housing for my D90. If I could re-use my old optically fired D2000 flash on the Nexus housing, that would be a big advantage over selling the D2000 and getting a housing with electrical bulkheads.

     

    -davelew

     

    I have got myself a new Nexus D90 housing. I run it with a pair of D2000 firing optically. The housing is about 800g lighter than the Aquatica which was also under consideration.

     

    Did 3 dives in Aquatica D90 housing (my buddy's) and a Nexus D80 housing (another buddy's) over 2 separate occassions. In the end, the ability to use optical fibre + electical bulkheads and lighter and smaller form factor won me over.

     

    I also did a try out dive with new Nexus gears over the weekend at local dive site. Works well with good ergonomics. A definite value for money housing at US$2500. Really makes packing and handling easier with its smaller size :)

  5. I have a D90 in an Aquatica housing I am testing now. So far I like the small, compact size and big trigger as well as large playback screen.

     

    Will send full review and pics soon.

     

    The Dome chart that comes with the Aquatica body says you need a thin extension ring for the 10-17, although I have just been using the 8" and no ring at 10mm with no problems or reflections. I haven't put the zoomer on to see what it does at 17.

     

    But to answer the question above, I doubt it would work with a 6" dome.

     

    Best,

     

    Timbo

  6. I shot the 10-17 / 6" dome combo in Sipadan last year with no issue at all.

    I find the 6" dome a real advantage when lighting close focus wide angle situations.

    My 2 cents

    Peter

  7. I use the 6'' dome port, fisheye dome shade and a small #18456 extension and hade great result so far, i will post some shot I did at the Digital Shootout in Bonaire this week end, (out of touch with my computer for a few days), i'm with peter on that one, it's a breeze to light up this kit and it really packs well.

  8. Peter et al,

     

    That's good information on the 6" dome.

     

    Here are a couple of CFWA taken with the Aquatica AD90 Housing and 8" dome with the Tokina at 10mm. Also a wide angle shot.

     

    I have been enjoying it so far.

     

    Best,

     

    Tim

    post-1081-1246668677.jpg

    post-1081-1246668690.jpg

    post-1081-1246668701.jpg

  9. I've been using an Aquatica with a D80 that I bought from another member for about a year now. The housing is really well built with excellent workmanship. I can only guess that the D90 housing would be even better. I did have a problem with their moisture alarm, which goes off as soon as the battery is inserted, and stays on. They never responded to my e-mail about it. As far as the housing products, are concerned though, they are quite impressive. - John

  10. I've been using an Aquatica with a D80 that I bought from another member for about a year now. The housing is really well built with excellent workmanship. I can only guess that the D90 housing would be even better. I did have a problem with their moisture alarm, which goes off as soon as the battery is inserted, and stays on. They never responded to my e-mail about it. As far as the housing products, are concerned though, they are quite impressive. - John

     

     

    I had the same problem. I took a knife and split the two wires down by the sodering points on both wires and then ran the knife gently between the 2 sodering points to make sure that the soder did not spill onto the other. I did this on both points, put the battery in and now it will only go off when I test it with my wet fingers. I got some feedback from the forum and actually it is under Aquatica Moisture Alarms. Check it out for other suggestions.

     

    Kirk

  11. I had the same problem. I took a knife and split the two wires down by the sodering points on both wires and then ran the knife gently between the 2 sodering points to make sure that the soder did not spill onto the other. I did this on both points, put the battery in and now it will only go off when I test it with my wet fingers. I got some feedback from the forum and actually it is under Aquatica Moisture Alarms. Check it out for other suggestions.

     

    Kirk

    Will Do, Thanks!!- John :nea:

  12. OK, I was testing the new Aquautica housing for the D90 for the folks at Aquatica. While we were shooting the stills, we slipped the camera into Movie mode every once in a while. It's fast and simple. You just have to remember to pre-focus.

     

    I put a little 2-minute short from Guam on YouTube:

     

  13. The Anthis Nexus site lists Normal and Multi for the view finder.

    Anyone know what that means?

     

    Here is a copy/paste of that portion of the page.

     

     

    Nexus Digital Master D90 Type1F Type1F Type1MLF Type1MLF Type2F Type2F Type2MLF Type2MLF

     

    ー Viewfinder

    Normal Multi Normal Multi

    適応ポート Port adaptive

    価 格 Price ¥220,500 ¥ 220,500 ¥246,750 ¥ 246,750 ¥252,000 ¥ 252,000 ¥278,250 ¥ 278,250

  14. Ooops, sorry. If anyone tried to look it was on private. Should be public now.

     

    AD90 Video clip:

     

     

    Tim

  15. The Anthis Nexus site lists Normal and Multi for the view finder.

    Anyone know what that means?

     

    Here is a copy/paste of that portion of the page.

     

     

    Nexus Digital Master D90 Type1F Type1F Type1MLF Type1MLF Type2F Type2F Type2MLF Type2MLF

     

    ー Viewfinder

    Normal Multi Normal Multi

    適応ポート Port adaptive

    価 格 Price ¥220,500 ¥ 220,500 ¥246,750 ¥ 246,750 ¥252,000 ¥ 252,000 ¥278,250 ¥ 278,250

     

    Hi Dave,

     

    I asked Yuzo Kanda about the same thing and here are his replies-

     

     

    Hello James Thank you for the inquiry....................................................

     

    D90 housing, there are 4 models. Type 1 F ............ yen Type1 MLF ............ yen Type2 F ............ yen Type2 MLF ............ yen Type 1 has only(2x optical cable sockets) for strobes, but Type 2 has both (2x optical cable sockets) and (2 x 5p Nikonos cable sockets) F model is normal finder model MLF is Multi finder model ( pick up lens for wide angle and magnifire lens for macro photographing come with the housing).............................................

    Best wishes Yuzo

     

    AND

     

     

    Hi James D90 finder is a little small, and underwater it is a little long eye point is need for using mask. And it is a little hard to see all corners, so when you take wide angle photo, the pick up finder attachment lens help to see easy all angle and it helps to check full angle. And when you take macro photo, magnifire attchment lens on finder helps focusing. but at this case it is impossible to see full angle. You can see only center part. And if you would like to get more big and clear finder image, then I recommend to use INON 45 angle finder or straight finder.

    Thank you Yuzo

     

     

     

    I'm getting the Nexus myself in the 2F model with basic viewfinder for now and will get the Inon 45 degree at a later date.

     

    HTH Cheers,

    Jim.

    Edited by JimSwims
  16. Ooops, sorry. If anyone tried to look it was on private. Should be public now.

     

    AD90 Video clip:

     

     

    Tim

     

     

    Cool little video Tim, thanks for sharing. I look forward to playing with that function down the track.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  17. Cool little video Tim, thanks for sharing. I look forward to playing with that function down the track.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

     

     

    Hi Jim,

     

    Yes, every once in a while you come upon a scene that suits video much better that stills. Its nice to know you can capture the moment if the opportunity presents itself.

     

    I suspect if I got serious about this and did some Magic Filter work and all that, you could use it pretty effectively for some presentations nd other creative applications. This was just auto and natural light with a wee bit of contrast adjustment in iMovie.

     

     

    Anyway, thank for looking. These shots are just taken where I work and in my backyard. Maybe I'll try it with some Tonga whales later this year.

     

    Best,

     

    Tim

  18. Please delete knotheads (pallavi) spam's post, and then delete this one. Thanks!

    Edited by Don in Colorado
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.