Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NIKON D90

Started by JimSwims ·

  • 79Posts
  • 79Replies

Read-only discussion

NIKON D90

79 posts
  1. thanks for the info.

    You appear to have a copy/paste error on the web page you list, it contains a reference to a D80 on the verbage that you might want to correct.

     

    Thank I will have the web guy take a look into it.

  2. you should include your ears when weighting yourself, :P )

    :wub:

    Bonjour Jean,

     

    Unfortunately I do include my ears when I weigh and they are getting bigger every year. :lol:

     

    Regards,

    Bob of the enlarging ears.

  3. So does Charles of the royal lineage, thank god the royals have t heir private jets, flying commercial, those flapper would have to be checked in as oversize luggage :lol:

  4. So does Charles of the royal lineage, thank god the royals have t heir private jets, flying commercial, those flapper would have to be checked in as oversize luggage :lol:

    Our president fotunately has Air Force One :wub:

  5. The website comparisions are funny and dubious at best. From what I have used and seen some of the housing dimensions in the comparison charts does not includes the dimensions of the housing handles. How can the Ikelite be smaller than some housings? And the Patima housings are definitely bigger than the Nexus and Aquatica. Do not that housing websites usually do not put in dimensions with handles. Selective marketing.

     

    No point arguing the form factors over the internet. Best is for one to visit a shop that has most of the housings and hold it in your hands. U will agree with me after you have tried.

     

     

    I don;t see anything on Nexus website about the Nikon D90. It appears that the website hasn't been updated in awhile. Is the current website: www.usanexus.com ??

     

    If not, where can I get current info?

     

    thanks

     

    kirk

  6. I don;t see anything on Nexus website about the Nikon D90. It appears that the website hasn't been updated in awhile. Is the current website: www.usanexus.com ??

     

    If not, where can I get current info?

     

    thanks

     

    kirk

     

    You can contact Woody at

    info@nexusamerica.com

     

    or Tom at:

    mcd2000@marinecamera.com

     

    The Anthis.jp site lists the D90 and D70/D80 to D90 conversions. I don't know if the D90 housing is available in the U.S. as of now.

     

    Bob

  7. I don;t see anything on Nexus website about the Nikon D90. It appears that the website hasn't been updated in awhile. Is the current website: www.usanexus.com ??

     

    If not, where can I get current info?

     

    thanks

     

    kirk

    Dun understand why usanexus not maintaining their website. It's pretty difficult to get to represent Nexus as a distributor afaik. Anyway

     

    www.anthis.co.jp

     

    else

    http://www.divervision.com/catalog/product...products_id=956

    http://www.fun-in.com.tw/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=1419

     

    for the price differential here and there, I have gotten from Taiwan straight.

  8. You can contact Woody at

    info@nexusamerica.com

     

    or Tom at:

    mcd2000@marinecamera.com

     

    The Anthis.jp site lists the D90 and D70/D80 to D90 conversions. I don't know if the D90 housing is available in the U.S. as of now.

     

    Bob

     

     

    I e-mailed Woody and then is what he said:

     

    No D90 housing has been release yet by Nexus. I do not know exactly when it

    will be available yet. Sorry.

    Thanks, Woody

     

    However, I got in the Anthis.jp web site and there is clearly a housing for the D90 on the site. Problems is I can read Japanese. Definately, does not seem the USA distributor is at all on top of it. Have they went through a few distributors? I has found websites such as USANEXUS.COM and NEXUSAMERICA.COM

     

    The housing looks good, but I'm concerned that Nexus may not be a viable company.

     

    Kirk

  9. I e-mailed Woody and then is what he said:

     

    No D90 housing has been release yet by Nexus. I do not know exactly when it

    will be available yet. Sorry.

    Thanks, Woody

     

    However, I got in the Anthis.jp web site and there is clearly a housing for the D90 on the site. Problems is I can read Japanese. Definately, does not seem the USA distributor is at all on top of it. Have they went through a few distributors? I has found websites such as USANEXUS.COM and NEXUSAMERICA.COM

     

    The housing looks good, but I'm concerned that Nexus may not be a viable company.

     

    Kirk

     

    Hi Kirk

     

    I was puzzled like you when I was shopping for a Nexus housing.

     

    As a result, I turn my attentions towards www.fun-in.com.tw for my purchase. They are wonderful and were able to ship the D90 housing almost immediately. I received my housing 4 days after I ordered. I got it for US$2400. All my questions were promptly and professionally answered. Give them a buzz or drop them a mail. I will pm you the details if you dun mind.

     

    According to them, they are coming out with a English website for those divers interested in Nexus. They back up all Nexus products they sell. Was doing a video skype with them and they show me that they are serious with a workshop and a pressure chamber in the servicing area.

  10. Hi Folks,

    I was originally only looking at getting an Ikelite housing once I got a D90, due to cost considerations and the fact that I have a Ikelite DS 125. But now I'm

    seriously looking at the Aquatica housing because of its superior port attachment system and reasonable price. I'm just unclear as to the compatability of my Ikelite strobe with this housing.

     

    So a few open questions for Jean-

    How do I connect a DS 125 with this housing?

    What parts do I require?

    Can I get true eTTL with this combination?

    & does the housing have a manual ev controller built in or can one be simply attached?

     

    Regards,

    Jim :)

    Edited by JimSwims
  11. Hi Jim, thanks for the vote of confidence, you can use your DS-125 with the #4302 Ikelite iTTL converter, you will need a 4103.51 single cable or a 4103.52 double cable if using dual strobes. you can access the exposure compensation functions of the D90 camera for both flash exposure and ambient exposure with our housing. the setup work very well. I run dual DS-125 (soon to be DS-160's) on my D200 housing and am quite happy with the results.

  12.  

     

     

    Edited by reefer
  13. I have got myself a new Nexus D90 housing. I run it with a pair of D2000 firing optically. The housing is about 800g lighter than the Aquatica which was also under consideration.

     

    Did 3 dives in Aquatica D90 housing (my buddy's) and a Nexus D80 housing (another buddy's) over 2 separate occassions. In the end, the ability to use optical fibre + electical bulkheads and lighter and smaller form factor won me over.

     

    I also did a try out dive with new Nexus gears over the weekend at local dive site. Works well with good ergonomics. A definite value for money housing at US$2500. Really makes packing and handling easier with its smaller size :rolleyes:

     

    Hi Wideanglelens and other folk.

    I would really appreciate your assistance on the Nexus D90 housing topic

    • I would like to know how the Nexus D90 housing is performing with the optical fiber firing method?? I am keen to purchase this set up with 2 x Z240 strobes. But as the strobes are fired from the camera's flash i am concerned that the camera's strobe/battery wont keep pace with the strobes 1 - 1.5 sec capability. I really would like to be able to fire of at least 6-8 shots rapidly . Have you or anyone had issues with this fire optic set up slowing down shot frequency & has it been noticable when shooting a shot quick photo sequence, especialy at high power?????

    • Also does the housings "video control arms " that open and close the camera'd flash to enable using the video come standard with the housing or did you need to buy them as an option??

     

    • Has anyone used the 45 degree or straight mag viewer, i only shoot about 5-10% macro so i'm wondering if they are worth the expense, or if they are am i better of with the straight mag viewer.??
      cheers
      Reefer

  14. Well I've gone and done it and bought myself a D90 so now I'm researching options and of course getting more and more confused by the minute.

     

     

     

    Do I stay with Ikelite housings? :)

     

    If I go Aquatica what are my options? :P

     

    Should I at least keep my DS125? :blink:

     

    If I go Z240 and Aquatica will I have TTL or have to shoot manual? :blink:

     

    Will a Heinrichs converter and the Z240's give me a TTL option? :blink:

     

     

     

    HELP!!!!!! :wacko:

     

     

     

     

    and then there's the ports.....................................

     

     

     

    The Lens Port/Gear Chart on the Aquatica site states that with the new Nikon 60mm no port is needed????????? So what port is???? :dunno:

     

    And there I was thinking I was getting a clearer picture of the path to go, this is Photographic Sadhana indeed.

     

     

    The thing is I've got my present rig up for sale, buyers clamoring for it and now I'm not sure if I need to hold on to the Ike' strobe or take the great leap forward without.

     

    Any illumination will be most welcome oh Guruji! :)

     

     

     

     

    Regards,

    Jim.

     

     

    PS: the lens I will be hoping to use are the 18-55VR, 60mmG ED, Tokina 10-17 and eventually the 105VR.

  15. The Lens Port/Gear Chart on the Aquatica site states that with the new Nikon 60mm no port is needed????????? So what port is???? :)

     

     

    As for the Aquatica, you have 2 choices with the nikon 60mm. You do NEED a port, just not an extension. There are 2 ports availabe: 1) Product # 18426 Auto & Manual Focus Macro port for use with close-up and macro lenses. For all bayonet housing; or 2) Product # 18428 Auto Focus only compact Macro port for use with close-up and macro lenses. For all bayonet housing.

     

    So it all depends on if you want the ability to manaul focus with the port. I looked at the D90 housing for a few month and finally went with Aquatica. Just ordered it last week through Backscatter. I haven't recieved it yet. I did get to handle the camera/housing at OurWorldUnderWater in Feb and liked it.

     

    Kirk

    Edited by KirkD
  16. PS: the lens I will be hoping to use are the 18-55VR, 60mmG ED, Tokina 10-17 and eventually the 105VR.

     

     

    You can shoot each of these lenses with Aquatica. Once you get set up with the 60mm, you'll only need to add an extension and possibly a focus gear if you went with the Port 18426. Then you'll need to see which dome you want for the 18-55 and the Tokina and then pick up the appropriate extension and zoom gears. I have ther Tokina and went with the 8" dome port. From what I have read on Wetpixel, there is some vignetteing with the 6" dome ports, but I did not see anything specifically about that on the Aquatica.

     

    Kirk

  17. I looked at the D90 housing for a few month and finally went with Aquatica. Just ordered it last week through Backscatter.

    Kirk

     

    Congrats on your new toy Kirk.

     

    As a fellow D90 owner, I am also curious if you will be using a ttl converter with your Aquatica housing?

     

    At the recent Long Beach ScubaShow, the Backscatter guys talked with me about the problems associated with ttl converters and said I would be better off without one (shooting manual). But because I am a first time DSLR user, I'm not sure how important ttl would be for me.

     

    ~Mike

  18. Thanks Kirk for your replies. So what did you decide as far as strobes go then?

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  19. Congrats on your new toy Kirk.

     

    As a fellow D90 owner, I am also curious if you will be using a ttl converter with your Aquatica housing?

     

    At the recent Long Beach ScubaShow, the Backscatter guys talked with me about the problems associated with ttl converters and said I would be better off without one (shooting manual). But because I am a first time DSLR user, I'm not sure how important ttl would be for me.

     

    ~Mike

     

     

    No, I will not be shooting TTL. I tried before, but was not happy with the results. But that was with a point and shoot. Since, I have shot in the flash manually. Will start somewhere in the 1/2 to 1/4 power range and adjust from there. Remember that there are 4 expose controls: 1) F Stop; 2) ISO; 3) Shutter speed; & 4) Flash. I usually have a f-stop f8-11 for fisheye/WA or F18-22 for macro, set to the lowest ISO, which is 200 on the D90. Using the manual flash to expose the foreground and use the shutter speed to expose the back ground. ISO and F-Stop adjustment affect both the foreground and back ground.

     

    Kirk

  20. Thanks Kirk for your replies. So what did you decide as far as strobes go then?

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

     

     

    I already have 1 Sea and Sea YS-110 that I was using on my P&S. I plan to add the new version, i.e. YS-100a as my second strobe. I looked at the 250. I just hate having proprietary batteries. I like to use the old recarhargable AA's. Always have a bunch of them handy. I've read stories where someone forgot to bring the charger for their stobe and couldn't find a replacement on the trip.

     

    Kirk

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.