Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

iPad

Started by loftus ·

  • 139Posts
  • 139Replies

Read-only discussion

iPad

139 posts
  1. Here are some interesting things I read re. adobe / apple ipad etc.

     

    But as people noted in the comments, Flash has issues. (I like Flash, but it really has become very bloated to me. Sometimes I go back to Flash 3 or 4 and write things in that :) )

     

    The problem is that Flash is notoriously CPU intensive. There's a reason Flash blockers are in the Top 100 Firefox add-ons.

     

    Flash isn't available on Android yet either, and this has nothing to do with being prevented from deploying it.

     

    Lets face it, Flash would be on the iPad and iPhone if it ran properly.

     

    Perhaps if Flash on the Mac set a better example of not being cumbersome and resource hungry, Apple would be more inclined to allow its use on the iPad and iPhone.

     

    Watching a Flash video on my MacBook will run the battery down faster and cause more noise from the fans than pretty much any other activity.

     

     

    Love the image though, it is great...

     

    I find that to be a really good point against the ipad being the better web browsing option.

     

    It is, no doubt, a big issue. Will be interesting see how it all resolves.

     

    I also believe the glare of the screen will be bad for reading books on.

    Don't get me wrong I can't wait to see one but this rendition of the ipad is so not interesting to me yet. But If they make a device that can truly take over from a netbook then I will be interested for sure. It's going to be a fun year watching the next generation of ultra portable devices coming out.

     

    I cannot wait to ssee one either, though I am not sure I will be getting one, unless it blows me away. Who knows. I thought the iPod Touch was okay, felt no compelling reason to get one, then I actually played with one a bit. Immediately got hooked.

     

    The portable devices will be real interesting to see as they come out. Now if they only could make a digital Nikonos or somehow get the 5D II into a 3040 body size, I would be happy. I recall thinking the 3040 was alot to carry at one point :yahoo:

  2. I was curious to see what it would cost to buy existing portable devices to do what the iPad can do. I went to Best Buy to find the cheapest devices that could do this. This is what I came up with.

     

    Netbook for surfing the web, $329

    16 GB MP3 player, $199

    eBook reader, $199

    9" DVD player $119

    Nintendo DS portable game system, $129.

     

    There is a total cost there of $975.

     

    This compares to the $499 cost of a 16 GB iPad. The large Kindle reader itself cost only $10 less than the iPad.

     

    For $629 you can get 3G which I believe gives you GPS. Lowest cost GPS at Best Buy is $96.

     

    Indeed you can get the 64 GB iPad with 3G for $829

     

     

    So you can see this devices gives you a lot of value for the money. In one integrated streamlined package.

     

    It will be a big success. So the question becomes how does it integrate into photography and travel, especially air travel?

     

    Is suspect that we will see a version of iPhoto that will enable examination of photos and moderate manipulation.

     

    I find the iPod touch great for showing off my photos now. This device could clearly do a much better job of this. I suspect for non professional vacations/photo shoots that this device could replace or supplement a laptop.

  3. I was curious to see what it would cost to buy existing portable devices to do what the iPad can do. I went to Best Buy to find the cheapest devices that could do this. This is what I came up with.

     

    Netbook for surfing the web, $329

    16 GB MP3 player, $199

    eBook reader, $199

    9" DVD player $119

    Nintendo DS portable game system, $129.

     

    There is a total cost there of $975.

     

    This compares to the $499 cost of a 16 GB iPad. The large Kindle reader itself cost only $10 less than the iPad.

     

    For $629 you can get 3G which I believe gives you GPS. Lowest cost GPS at Best Buy is $96.

     

    Indeed you can get the 64 GB iPad with 3G for $829

     

     

    So you can see this devices gives you a lot of value for the money. In one integrated streamlined package.

     

    It will be a big success. So the question becomes how does it integrate into photography and travel, especially air travel?

     

    Is suspect that we will see a version of iPhoto that will enable examination of photos and moderate manipulation.

     

    I find the iPod touch great for showing off my photos now. This device could clearly do a much better job of this. I suspect for non professional vacations/photo shoots that this device could replace or supplement a laptop.

     

    Wouldn't item 1 (netbook) on the list do all the jobs that the others on the list do? Granted it isnt the best for your eyes reading large documents on the netbook.

     

     

    (I still want an ipad though, it will replace my beside the bed netbook)

  4. Some more info on the Flash issue. Real interesting.

     

    From Wired about a meeting at Apple:

     

     

    About Adobe: They are lazy, Jobs says. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don’t do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.
  5. Some more info on the Flash issue. Real interesting.

     

    From Wired about a meeting at Apple:

     

    Jobs is right in his assessment of Flash, but where he's missing the boat is in what the priority one mission of the iPad is: Portable web surfing tool. At least that's in my estimation. It will do many, many cool things just like my iPhone. But ultimately my iPhone's primary mission is telephone/email tool. I can put up with not being able to see Flash sites on my phone. There will be an incredible hue and cry from people who buy the iPad and then realize their viewing experience of the New York Times, CNN, Hulu, Disney, etc., etc.. is crippled because the iPad doesn't do Flash. You can't even navigate the Explorer Ventures website at all without Flash. Most musician's sites are *heavy* Flash. Same thing with pro photographers, heavy Flash for slideshows. I agree HTML5 is better, but "it's what it is" and all those sites aren't going to change overnight. Think about the huge number of photography sites generated by Lightroom in Flash. Apple has always been the tool of choice for artists, musicians and photographers. Are they going to turn their back on those people?

     

    In summary, two things will keep me from buying an iPad:

     

    1) Not being able to easily copy photos from Compact Flash to iPad and to USB harddrive

    2) no FLASH!

     

    My Dell Mini 9 with OSX on it does both of those things right now. It's not near as sexy as the iPad tho :)

     

    JP

  6. I just read the article at the link Drew posted above - wow, Jobs is really on a rant :) Here's the link again.

     

    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/goo...les-steve-jobs/

     

    I think he's going to regret this strategy. If it doesn't do Flash, I won't buy it.

     

    Apple "used to" be the company that supported artists, musicians, photographers and videographers. No longer. Most art, music, photography and videography sites on the web are rendered in Flash because Adobe makes the some of the best and most easily used tools for deploying content. Go see your favorite band's online site and you'll notice most of them are rendered in Flash. These sites are not just going to all disappear or be re-written overnight.

     

    I know at least three local musicians who paid several thousand dollars for a fancy website to be professionally created for them. All three are done in Flash. These people are not rich; they are not going to create a new website just because Steve Jobs is all full of himself.

     

    Musicians, Videographers and Photographers as a rule are not uber techies. They actually don't care if Flash is written poorly. From their point of view, Flash is the easiest way to get their content out there in the nicest format. The tools are not there for HTML5.

     

    Oh and I call B.S. on Jobs saying Flash causes Macs to crash. I probably hit more Flash sites than most people because I'm a photographer and a musician and it has *never* caused my Mac to crash.

     

    And then there is the fact that Safari does Flash. If it really sucks so bad and causes Macs to crash uncontrollably, why support it in Apple's official browser? I think the man doth protest too much. He's just angry because it's something he can't control.

     

    I'm a huge Apple fan, but this is one point where I think Jobs is wrong. I think there will be lots of people who are not invested in the whole Apple vs. Adobe battle who will take their iPads back to the Apple store when they realize they can't see all the content on their favorite websites.

    Edited by johnspierce
  7. With the ability to do IM, movies/TV (via slingbox) and control of automated homes (stereo, lights, temperature, security, sprinklers etc) via iphone apps and internet surfing, I think it works well for the home. I still prefer E-Ink to LCD/LED for reading and will likely enjoy my laptop/kindle combo for travel.

    As a travel companion, the iPad is too slow, the drive too small and there are drives out there which have card readers built-in. Laptops are still the best way to go. Of course, with airlines cracking down on weight in cabin luggage, it proves to be a battle. Probably the 3rd gen ipad will have the processing power to do what a 4 yr old laptop can do now.

    Edited by Drew
  8. 'you just dont see the potential for the future. In a few generations this thing will change the world' is something I hear a lot. Thats all fine and dandy, and when that time comes im sure I'll get one, it being world changing and all, but that has no bearing on the current model :good: It's lacking some things that I find kinda stupid, like a camera, no flash support, no multitasking (I live by multitasking). So instead of saying 'some future model will rock', all im saying is 'nah, maybe some future model if it happens to rock'. I didnt buy the first iphone either, nor the second. But the third one worked great for me and I wouldnt want anything different for the foreseeable future (on my phone I am not as struck by lack of multitasking, although it does bug me at times)

  9. Soon as I saw an Ipod touch I could see the appeal, let alone for the Iphone. Doesnt seem the same with this but might change when I see one live.

     

     

    I think they rushed it because they were worried netbooks and e readers would get too entrenched though. It just seems more unfinished somehow.

    Edited by Otara
  10. Cor

    It will NOT replace a laptop for travel for photographers who want limited processing ability, for a long time.

    However, it is a product which does appeal to many users. I'll buy it for the home as a glorified big remote control. My home automation system and Slingbox can be controlled from it. I usually take out the iPod Touch and forget to bring it back often. I won't be doing that with the iPad. It does not have a camera for video 3g/wifi conferencing on Skype or iChat. But then again for video calls, the iPhone is also useless.

    I agree with not assuming future improvements for any product. It's sorta like the Nikon waiting for the D700x/900 or Canon for the 1DsMkx, which MAY have some of the features people want :good:

    Edited by Drew
  11. (on my phone I am not as struck by lack of multitasking, although it does bug me at times)

     

    FWIW, looks like multitasking will be coming to the newer models, like the one you have.

     

    Multitasking

     

    Or not, who knows :good:

  12. Drew .. your going to buy an iPad to use as a remote control? ... oh the words going though my head right now :good:

     

    Although it is a rather fitting insult for such a game changing revolutionary must have device as the iPad

  13. Giles, to have a mobile TV screen where one can do emails, surf, change the climate control/music/lights in the various areas around the house, Google voice with text and calls (hopefully), is exactly why the ipad was developed for, hardly an insult. Still I like the tactile feedback of a keyboard for extended typing. However, short emails, IM and text msg are fine.

  14. For travel photographers...which i was replying to Mr Haas about. I just can't see why you would bring this and not a laptop?!? A laptop can do everything an ipad can but an ipad can't do everything a laptop can..

     

    If you don't/can't bring a lot of weight why would you bring an ipad and not a laptop?

     

    I can see the attraction as a home entertainment/subway/bus/hanging out at starbucks sort of thing but for a traveling photographer? Sorry, laptop it is

  15. Giles, to have a mobile TV screen where one can do emails, surf, change the climate control/music/lights in the various areas around the house, Google voice with text and calls (hopefully), is exactly why the ipad was developed for, hardly an insult. Still I like the tactile feedback of a keyboard for extended typing. However, short emails, IM and text msg are fine.

     

    This is the beauty and flaw of such a device. the use cases are many. so many that debates arise on what its good for.

     

    was speaking to some folks today about this exact use case and its a valid one. a touch screen device is likely better for sofa web surfing than a laptop.

     

    apple are clearly NOT targeting this as a laptop replacement. they told everyone this at their keynote. it surely does not want to eat into its macbook sales. we are all going to haul or notebooks on dive trips so we can batch process our RAW files.

     

    The apps are going to make or break this thing and if it does properly handle iphone apps, then few of us will use this thing for the same thing.

  16. I think they rushed it because they were worried netbooks and e readers would get too entrenched though. It just seems more unfinished somehow.

     

    of all the tablets that have been announced. this one is clearly, by far and away the most thoughtful and fully baked. The trouble is not that its rushed, because it is not. its that the use cases are not clearly defined so currently it needs to be a jack of all trades for people to figure out what they will use it for.

  17. Jason

    I do think it'll be interesting to see if Apple can get away with no Flash as the iXXXX products sell. HTLM5 is how Google is bringing Google Voice to the iphone. Then there's Fring, but without a builtin camera, it's kinda silly to have a one way video call. I still like my HSDPA Nokia for video calls.

  18. "of all the tablets that have been announced. this one is clearly, by far and away the most thoughtful and fully baked."

     

    Which unfortunately doesnt mean its actually baked, only that the area in general is underdeveloped.

     

    I think the thing that has surprised me most is the size of the screen being larger than expected, and the resolution lower. I guess it just comes down to how much that was a question of user research vs cost savings/speed of development.

     

    Otara

  19. I was curious to see what it would cost to buy existing portable devices to do what the iPad can do. I went to Best Buy to find the cheapest devices that could do this. This is what I came up with.

     

    Netbook for surfing the web, $329

    16 GB MP3 player, $199

    eBook reader, $199

    9" DVD player $119

    Nintendo DS portable game system, $129.

     

    There is a total cost there of $975.

     

    This compares to the $499 cost of a 16 GB iPad. The large Kindle reader itself cost only $10 less than the iPad.

     

    For $629 you can get 3G which I believe gives you GPS. Lowest cost GPS at Best Buy is $96.

     

    Indeed you can get the 64 GB iPad with 3G for $829

     

     

    So you can see this devices gives you a lot of value for the money. In one integrated streamlined package.

     

    It will be a big success. So the question becomes how does it integrate into photography and travel, especially air travel?

     

    Is suspect that we will see a version of iPhoto that will enable examination of photos and moderate manipulation.

     

    I find the iPod touch great for showing off my photos now. This device could clearly do a much better job of this. I suspect for non professional vacations/photo shoots that this device could replace or supplement a laptop.

     

    Never mind the fact that most current media players can also do video and games, and sometimes even browse the web (iPod, Zune), a Kindle or Nook can play music (although the Kindle clearly has far less memory available), and the Netbook can do all the functions mentioned (although it may not be as snappy or small a package)...but you had to go and throw a 9" screen DVD player in there too? Really??

     

    I don't recall reading that the magical iPad plays DVDs as in the insertable media - obviously it can display video. (oh, but some netbooks do have slim drives). If you're just throwing that in for the equivalent screen (again, netbook's already got one), then why not add the price of an eInk screen to the iPad side of your equation, as your pile of dedicated devices offers eInk or LCD displays in various sizes (and resulting battery lifetimes) while the iPad doesn't.

     

    Sorry, but that's one of the least convincing "comparison" methods I've ever seen. I'm sure the iPad will sell just fine without that kind of help. (And no, not to me, but I'm not just being a hater.)

  20. Never mind the fact that most current media players can also do video and games, and sometimes even browse the web (iPod, Zune), a Kindle or Nook can play music (although the Kindle clearly has far less memory available), and the Netbook can do all the functions mentioned (although it may not be as snappy or small a package)...but you had to go and throw a 9" screen DVD player in there too? Really??

     

    I don't recall reading that the magical iPad plays DVDs as in the insertable media - obviously it can display video. (oh, but some netbooks do have slim drives). If you're just throwing that in for the equivalent screen (again, netbook's already got one), then why not add the price of an eInk screen to the iPad side of your equation, as your pile of dedicated devices offers eInk or LCD displays in various sizes (and resulting battery lifetimes) while the iPad doesn't.

     

    Sorry, but that's one of the least convincing "comparison" methods I've ever seen. I'm sure the iPad will sell just fine without that kind of help. (And no, not to me, but I'm not just being a hater.)

    I'm not sure why people expect or demand that this device or any other be 'magical' or a device that replace all others. There are still other phones out there besides the iPhone, and there will be other devices out there like the iPad, that people will choose depending on their needs, budget etc.

    I don't think this device will replace my laptop (for now) but it certainly could in some situations, particularly if Apple allow certain things to happen like attaching a hard drive. Apple's changes to the file management system certainly open possibilities for image database management which is my main interest at the moment. But having a device that potentially can perform all these functions, including more esoteric ones like a remote control are intriguing. I think this pad would make an awesome GPS screen appropriately mounted in the car for example - I use Google Maps routinely on my iPhone in the car - even that app will be much better and more useable and safer on a larger screen.

    I think it all depends on the apps that develop and to what degree Apple 'unlocks' the device for alternative uses.

    Edited by loftus
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.