Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

iPad

Started by loftus ·

  • 139Posts
  • 139Replies

Read-only discussion

iPad

139 posts
  1. Looking at the demo of the iPad photo app I can start to see that right out of the box it will do many of the things I want.

     

    I usually find that my 32GB card lasts me a whole average week trip, so downloading the card to the iPad over a week trip and keeping the images on the card is already one backup. The integration with iPhoto and Aperture including albums, Events, Faces and Places etc is already there. Slideshows looks very cool.

     

    http://dailyiphoneblog.com/2010/03/30/vide...photo-app-demo/

     

    The iPad can then be immediately synched to my home computer to import the images to iPhoto or Aperture, presumably with the Project / Album structure I created on the iPad. Remains to be seen what can be done with regard to selects and limited editing but that can't be far off

     

    http://ipadfreakz.com/ipad-will-be-able-to-edit-photos/

     

    Sweet! BTW apparently preorders are already sold out.

    Edited by loftus
  2. Sweet! BTW apparently preorders are already sold out.

     

    I bought my wife one of the non-3G models when pre-orders were initially being taken. It appears all the initial pre-orders will indeed be delivered this Saturday as advertised. I've received a tracking number yesterday...

  3. I bought my wife one of the non-3G models when pre-orders were initially being taken. It appears all the initial pre-orders will indeed be delivered this Saturday as advertised. I've received a tracking number yesterday...

    A perspective

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...DNewsCollection

  4. Okay who opened one up yet? How cool is it? :)

  5.  

     

    Was out the Mall to look for things for the home this morning. Walked into the Apple Store and asked "Do you have any iPads In Stock?" and fully expected a "No" and just asked for S&G. Got an answer of "Yes" all three models and then noticed the boxes stacked way high behind the Genius bar and them flying like hotcakes. So I bought my wife her future non 3G iPad today (she was with me and said she is fine with non 3G Model), though I am in possession of it until the next one in comes home:)

  6. Posted from my iPad :)

  7. Me too this thing is pretty freaking cool!!!

  8. Me too this thing is pretty freaking cool!!!

    :)

     

    I am impressed so far.

     

    Got iWork and playing with it now.

     

    Remarkably easy to type on this.

  9. Best Buy had them in stock today. Can you give me a reason to buy one while waiting for my 3'G version to arrive? I thought up one, but don't quite believe myself.

  10. Best Buy had them in stock today. Can you give me a reason to buy one while waiting for my 3'G version to arrive? I thought up one, but don't quite believe myself.

     

    Well, I figure most of the time I am at wi-fi spot unless traveling for the most part, and do not have plans to travel, so wi-fi is fine. Plus these are so small and as a diver always good to have back-up, and having a non 3G as a back-up works. Plus my wife did not care if she had 3G or not. (Or even an iPad, but playing with this thing for a few seconds changes minds.)

     

    Actually, no real good reason. Other than geekdom.

  11. Well, I figure most of the time I am at wi-fi spot unless traveling for the most part, and do not have plans to travel, so wi-fi is fine. Plus these are so small and as a diver always good to have back-up, and having a non 3G as a back-up works. Plus my wife did not care if she had 3G or not. (Or even an iPad, but playing with this thing for a few seconds changes minds.)

     

    Actually, no real good reason. Other than geekdom.

    Can it remote desktop to a windows machine?

  12. Well, I figure most of the time I am at wi-fi spot unless traveling for the most part, and do not have plans to travel...

     

    My iPad didn't arrive in time for my current trip (just to NYC for a couple of days), but I agree with Drew - I'm generally at a wi-fi spot if/when I want to use the web (in fact, I'm writing this from 35,000 ft on a Delta flight that has wi-fi), and frankly, I don't want to use 3G when traveling overseas because of the horrendous roaming costs. So I'm fine with the non-3G model (can't wait to get my hands on it!). BTW, great review in your other thread, Drew.

  13. Can it remote desktop to a windows machine?

     

     

    There is an app called WinAdmin for iPad http://iphonewinadmin.com/. Maybe others out there, do not know how well it works.

  14. My iPad didn't arrive in time for my current trip (just to NYC for a couple of days), but I agree with Drew - I'm generally at a wi-fi spot if/when I want to use the web (in fact, I'm writing this from 35,000 ft on a Delta flight that has wi-fi), and frankly, I don't want to use 3G when traveling overseas because of the horrendous roaming costs. So I'm fine with the non-3G model (can't wait to get my hands on it!). BTW, great review in your other thread, Drew.

     

     

    Hey Bruce, if you are in NYC, the monthly meeting of http://www.nyups.org/ is Tuesday. I am going to see if I can make it (cannot recall if I cleared something from the schedule). I can bring the iPad in if you like :goodpost: (Seriously though, the meetings are fun. Glad you liked the write-up....

  15. It says on the Apple iPad page that RAW is supported. It was added after the initial announcement was released.

     

    What is not know is if the RAW can be displayed on your iPad without going through a converter on your regular computer. Many small independent photo storage/viewing units only display the imbedded Jpeg. It would be invaluable for evaluating shots in the field if they showed the RAW image.

     

    I got the camera connectors today and it imports Canon RAW (and identifies it as RAW+JPEG) and Nikon NEF (I imported NEF only files and they import fine and show up fine on the screen). Now I'm trying to find out if I can transfer photos to Aperture 3 .. .

  16. Read several good posts on the camera connection kit on another site.

  17. Read several good posts on the camera connection kit on another site.

    So... wanna share the links? :lol:

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.