Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

iPad

Started by loftus ·

  • 139Posts
  • 139Replies

Read-only discussion

iPad

139 posts
  1. Never mind the fact that most current media players can also do video and games, and sometimes even browse the web (iPod, Zune), a Kindle or Nook can play music (although the Kindle clearly has far less memory available), and the Netbook can do all the functions mentioned (although it may not be as snappy or small a package)...but you had to go and throw a 9" screen DVD player in there too? Really??

     

    I don't recall reading that the magical iPad plays DVDs as in the insertable media - obviously it can display video. (oh, but some netbooks do have slim drives). If you're just throwing that in for the equivalent screen (again, netbook's already got one), then why not add the price of an eInk screen to the iPad side of your equation, as your pile of dedicated devices offers eInk or LCD displays in various sizes (and resulting battery lifetimes) while the iPad doesn't.

     

    Sorry, but that's one of the least convincing "comparison" methods I've ever seen. I'm sure the iPad will sell just fine without that kind of help. (And no, not to me, but I'm not just being a hater.)

    I'm not sure why people expect or demand that this device or any other be 'magical' or a device that replace all others. There are still other phones out there besides the iPhone, and there will be other devices out there like the iPad, that people will choose depending on their needs, budget etc.

    I don't think this device will replace my laptop (for now) but it certainly could in some situations, particularly if Apple allow certain things to happen like attaching a hard drive. Apple's changes to the file management system certainly open possibilities for image database management which is my main interest at the moment. But having a device that potentially can perform all these functions, including more esoteric ones like a remote control are intriguing. I think this pad would make an awesome GPS screen appropriately mounted in the car for example - I use Google Maps routinely on my iPhone in the car - even that app will be awesome on a larger screen.

    I think it all depends on the apps that develop and to what degree Apple 'unlocks' the device to add accessories etc for alternative uses. No reason why a camera could not be plugged into this device for example, from a small video camera to a tethered DSLR, USB hubs etc.

    Edited by loftus
  2. I'm not sure why people expect or demand that this device or any other be 'magical' or a device that replace all others.

    You wonder why everyone expects it to be 'magical' and expect more ?? it's cause that is what we are told by Steve Jobs et al.

    Amazing, Extraordinary, Tremendous: The 3-Minute iPad Keynote [VIDEO]

    via; Mashable - http://mashable.com/2010/02/01/condensed-ipad-keynote/

    Edited by Giles
  3. No reason why a camera could not be plugged into this device for example, from a small video camera to a tethered DSLR, USB hubs etc.

     

    Speaking of cameras and iPads Google Maps is suppossed to work on the 3G model so it seems...

  4. You wonder why everyone expects it to be 'magical' and expect more ?? it's cause that is what we are told by Steve Jobs et al.

     

     

    LOL, great job on the edit on that one. Adjectives. Too funny. But all companies sell their wares, Apple and Jobs are just pretty good at it :good: Hey they miss the boat from time-to-time, and maybe the iPad will be a boat misser, but once these things are actually released people will start getting a better idea. I will probably hold out to Rev B myself, or so I think. :)

  5. You wonder why everyone expects it to be 'magical' and expect more ?? it's cause that is what we are told by Steve Jobs et al.

    Amazing, Extraordinary, Tremendous: The 3-Minute iPad Keynote [VIDEO]

    via; Mashable - http://mashable.com/2010/02/01/condensed-ipad-keynote/

    OK you win, though he did not say 'magical'. :good: Jobs sure is the showman; though he seemed more subdued than previously, I think his cancer recurrence and treatment probably took a little out of him.

  6. Well; anyone think the iPad will ever be useful to photographers. Will there be a way to use it as a download / storage device maybe.

    Basic Image editing may be feasible.

    Any ideas?

    Who knows it may save us - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/

    For me, not for photography (except maybe for photography books) but if it can be used for textbooks/reference books and better at PDF than my laptop, I would buy it in a minute. I think there is probably 50 linear feet of textbooks that I would happily buy again digitally if that were possible. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to find a reference without having to go back to your office?

    Bill

  7. Excellent; so just a matter now of allowing larger external data storage devices, some really good photo sorting apps - maybe a scaled down version of Aperture to at least allow sorting etc (I wonder if something's coming in Aperture 3), and my laptop stays home. Come to think of it, just travel with a bunch of CF / SD cards, and the laptop and Kindle can already stay home. I assume it will allow me to Skype; or will the carriers somehow block that.

     

    Eh? So you'd rather travel with a iPad, iPad charger, External USB drive, PSU for the USB drive, iPad to USB adaptor (should apple deign to make it) and some scaled down editing software would be better than traveling with a laptop, psu and usb cable and photoshop / lightroom? I don't get it. Unless I missed the sarcasm?

  8. I'm not sure why people expect or demand that this device or any other be 'magical' or a device that replace all others. ...

     

    Was that at me? Not sure, although you quoted me. My point wasn't that I would expect it to replace all those things (or anyone should), it was that adding up the price of all those things - many of which themselves had significantly overlapping feature sets - as a way of "proving" the value of the iPad seemed, well, specious.

     

    It's true, I personally don't see the value proposition, as I don't mind carrying a laptop when I want something that does "all that", and would rather have the flexibility of actual programs on a real OS vs. "apps" and syncing to the iTunes store. I am however considering a next-gen e-reader (waiting to see what shows up with the Qualcom Mirasol screen technology vs. e-ink, and a $250ish or so price-point, preferrably) and others probably don't see the value proposition in an e-reader (/music player/basic browser). My opinion in that regard is immaterial to the point I was making.

     

    But I also said it would likely sell just fine without what I thought was an illogical defense of it.

     

    As for the 'magical' - I think I stole the word from either Gizmodo or Engadget's initial coverage of it. Didn't actually watch the Jobs keynote to see if he said it or not.

  9. I've heard some bad things about Apple's factories overseas (from friends who work there). They need to figure out how to stop Chinese factories from being Chinese factories, and that is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

     

    So, back to the iPad...

     

    I'm going to use the iPad as a presentation device and as a travel device for media and books. It take a lot of effort for me to pull out a computer on an airplane, but it will take nearly no effort to pull out an iPad and have it turn on instantly (although my Mac also comes out of standby nearly instantly).

     

    I'm not so interested in comparing specs. Devices are only useful if people use them. For example, people say the Kindle plays music and browses the web, but have you actually tried doing it? The app design just doesn't make you want to use it. When good apps come out of the Kindle, it may change the way I use the device, but as it exists now, it is a only a book / text reader.

     

    One of the ways I read the most content these days is by using ReadItLater (similar to Instapaper, but more platform agnostic). When I am in my RSS reader or on the web and see an article I'm interested in, I can flag the article with a single mouse click (or 2 finger taps, on the iPhone). The article is then instantly available in cached form on my iPhone. I'd love to read it on my Kindle, but I can't be bothered to jump through the hoops. The iPad will be similarly useful in this way -- I can catch up on my offline reading whenever I have a spare moment without having to try to read web pages on the iPhone (well done for the size, but still limiting).

  10. Maybe I shoulda put it in a separate topic? :) I try to be a responsible consumer and choose my products well. I even try to avoid many things that are made in china for that reason and pay more for Japanese/Singapore/Malaysia goods. Problem is parts come from everywhere so it's impossible to know how "ethical" the product really is.

     

    The iPad I'll use at home rather than travel since I'll always have the laptop anyhow. It'll be a great browser/quick email device and controller for the house. I still like the kindle to read and won't give up on e-ink. I don't like looking at backlit screens too long. I do like that case they have for it.

    Edited by Drew
  11. In the Market section of the Wall Street Journal's February 18, 2010 edition there was a piece at the top of page titled “PC Makers Ready iPad Rivals”.

     

    The article basically covered how computer makers in their continue attempt to stay with breaking technology and consumer demands were actively developing strategies and devices to challenge Apple Inc.'s iPad.

     

    Hoping to capitalize on this new category of gadgets, executives from Hewlett-Packard Co. for example have been working both in the U.S. and Taiwan tweaking prices and features on an upcoming keyboardless computer dubbed the Slate.

     

    H-P has discussed selling a version of the Slate—similar to the iPad in size and features, and including a cellular connection—for a price below the $629 Apple charges for an equivalent iPad, one of these people ...

     

    All I can say is each issue of the Underwater Journal I brought up on the iPad demo at the Apple store looked damm good!

     

    PC makers - Bring it on!

    Visit My Website

  12. Pre-order here in the States starts in 1 minute. Get ready! :drink:

  13. Pre-order here in the States starts in 1 minute. Get ready! :drink:

     

    Just pre-ordered. Got the cheapest version to play around with. am excited to see what it is most useful for. I think this could be a media consumption game changer.

     

    btw Eric, i totally agree with your intended usage. I use instapaper with my sony reader already and its enormously useful. first thing to do on the iPad is setting up intapaper on it.

    Edited by jmauricio
  14. Pre-order here in the States starts in 1 minute. Get ready! :drink:

     

    Way too many enablers on this board :dance:

  15. Apple lost a sale because they announced it so early. I would have bought one the day after the announcement, but now I've decided I don't really need one after all. Besides, I already gave my hard earned allowance to ULCS instead.

  16. More New Details on iPad Data Plans

     

    Looks very good to me. Can turn on and off as needed, so when not traveling you can downgrade/turn off. No automatic fees on overages. Can bump up as needed and international plans. There are many times this would be real handy.

  17. Mine is ordered. Now I'm just praying to the Apple-gods, aka Steve Jobs, that they allow me to attach a hard drive card reader soon, and ship the Aperture 3 Lite app asap, so that I can download / backup at the end of the day, do all my sorting, limited edits etc, keep the Project on the hard drive for immediate merging to my desktop Aperture Library on returning home. Simply no need for my laptop on most trips then.

    I also like the idea of finger painting my edits on the touch screen. OK, I can imagine can't I?

  18. Mine is ordered. Now I'm just praying to the Apple-gods, aka Steve Jobs, that they allow me to attach a hard drive card reader soon, and ship the Aperture 3 Lite app asap, so that I can download / backup at the end of the day, do all my sorting, limited edits etc, keep the Project on the hard drive for immediate merging to my desktop Aperture Library on returning home. Simply no need for my laptop on most trips then.

    I also like the idea of finger painting my edits on the touch screen. OK, I can imagine can't I?

     

     

    If it brewed coffee, it would be perfect ;) I would think that iPhoto Lite would come out first, and that could be a real good start, at least for me. iPhoto ain't Aperture of course, but it is alot more than what it was. Though Aperture would be cool. So which one did you go for? I think I am going to get the large 3G one if I make the jump. Wonder if the rumored (yet not official) camera may find itself into as a suprise...

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.