Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

iPad

Started by loftus ·

  • 139Posts
  • 139Replies

Read-only discussion

iPad

139 posts
  1. If it brewed coffee, it would be perfect ;) I would think that iPhoto Lite would come out first, and that could be a real good start, at least for me. iPhoto ain't Aperture of course, but it is alot more than what it was. Though Aperture would be cool. So which one did you go for? I think I am going to get the large 3G one if I make the jump. Wonder if the rumored (yet not official) camera may find itself into as a suprise...

    Yeah ordered the large 3G one. Be interesting to see if they go with a built in camera or just have a plug in option, seems like that type of functionality is a no brainer and one could then plug in any tip of camera, have liveview etc.

    I think iPhoto would be fine if they have easy portability / transferability into Aperture Projects. Although I guess that's easy easy enough to do on the desktop, import to iPhoto then to Aperture. Would be nice to save the step.

    BTW buddy, leaving for Dominica again tomorrow to play with the whales.......

    Any interest in a medical mission / diving trip to the Solomon Islands in November?

    Edited by loftus
  2. BTW buddy, leaving for Dominica again tomorrow to play with the whales.......

     

    Looking forward to seeing the shots, I just know they will be very green though. From the jelousy in my eyes ;)

     

    Any interest in a medical mission / diving trip to the Solomon Islands in November?

     

    Could be, even if I cannot dive.....

  3. On the camera thing, seems more sensible to have the camera plug in as in this article rumor which I'm sure you've read. Sure would make more sense, allowing use of any camera, not having to be stuck with a low quality integrated camera if you need something better.

    http://www.blogsdna.com/7379/more-evidence...-photos-app.htm

  4. On the camera thing, seems more sensible to have the camera plug in as in this article rumor which I'm sure you've read. Sure would make more sense, allowing use of any camera, not having to be stuck with a low quality integrated camera if you need something better.

    http://www.blogsdna.com/7379/more-evidence...-photos-app.htm

     

    Not sure if I saw that one, but something similar and also that there appeared to be a carve out for the camera - so there could be video conferencing, snapshots and the rest even in this version. Would be one of those nice Apple suprises. Now we need bigger hard drives so we can tether still and video cameras to the iPad. Maybe they can put an HDMI connection in also. I see your imagine and raise you on it ;)

  5. I also like the idea of finger painting my edits on the touch screen. OK, I can imagine can't I?

     

    You can soon with another Apple product:

     

    http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro

     

    I have to say I like this a lot more. Without a front facing camera, video conferencing will be out for the iPad, which is a pity because as a home module, it's a nice addition. I don't think the A4 processor is going to be powerful enough to do compression for a real HD camera ... yet. Maybe Ver 2.0 would be a more prudent decision.

  6. Did anyone catch the little change they made in the iPad accessory specs.?

     

    The description of the camera download accessory now says that it will read both Jpeg and Raw camera data. Makes the iPad potentially much more useful for photographers. I have a Jobo GigaVue pro that cost as much as an iPad. The screen is useless for determining if a photo is in good focus, and not that good at determining if the exposure is good.

     

    With the addition of Raw support I would imagine you will see a version of iPhoto for this device. The other thing is that it appears that the same cables that work with the iPod touch work with the iPad. I already have the component out cables for the touch.

    Edited by davephdv
  7. Don't know if this has been posted. Here is a description of photos on the iPad. Sounds like aperture lite.

     

    IPad photos

  8. Had a power outage due to the storms a few weeks back and then again last night. Would have been nice to have the iPad then since there were some things on line that was being used at the time for a meeting this morning.

     

    My new wish is that they put the 3G with the same plan into a MacBook Air or other laptop. ;) But it looks like I may make the iPad jump when it comes.

     

    EDIT TO ADD:

     

    Don't know if you saw this, but the Battery Replacement is $99 plus $6.95 S&H plus tax. You receive a replacement iPad, not just a battery....

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  9. I ordered the 64gb non-3G model. I plan to use it primarily as a reader, not only for books, but for PDF's (I create lots of PDFs at work of articles, etc. to read later when I have time) - the other readers do a crappy job of PDFs. I also think it will be an excellent display unit for photos...and will hold my 30gb of MP3 files (music, language courses, etc.). It would be great if it can be used as a back-up for photos on trips (and it's nice that it reads RAW), but that's not my expected primary use. As Eric said, it would be a lot more convenient in certain situations (planes, etc.) than having to pull out and boot up a laptop (although I still expect to travel with my laptop).

     

    Oh, and then there are the 60 or so apps I have on my iPhone; if even a dozen of those work well on the iPad, it would be a very cool device indeed! I'm guessing that most of the folks saying it's a waste of money don't currently have iPhones, so they haven't seen/used the great apps available...

     

    The iPad is probably at least one generation from being an all-in-one device (with integraded super-thin DVD, etc.), but for people with use for its current features, it will fill those needs quite well.

  10. Seems like most people who are buying it want a jumbo sized iphone. LOL

    The iPad is so limited I think that is the appeal for most. Still with the 4G/LTE networks looming in this year & 2011, 3G/HSDPA will be so 2009. And then we can hope that someone will jailbreak the OS so we're not tied to Anti-Telecomunications&Talk.

  11. The iPad is probably at least one generation from being an all-in-one device (with integraded super-thin DVD, etc.), but for people with use for its current features, it will fill those needs quite well.

     

    I agree, that's why this first one I ordered will be my wife's. ;)

  12. Seems like most people who are buying it want a jumbo sized iphone. LOL

    The iPad is so limited I think that is the appeal for most. Still with the 4G/LTE networks looming in this year & 2011, 3G/HSDPA will be so 2009. And then we can hope that someone will jailbreak the OS so we're not tied to Anti-Telecomunications&Talk.

     

    Having worked in the telecom industry, i can confidently predict that 4G/LTE is much further away than you are suggesting. New networks are enormously complicated and I've never seen a new generation of network (wireless or wireline) meet expectations on timing and performance for launch. 3G was "launched" in 2000, and its really only been the last three years that its been 1) pervasive, 2) inexpensive and 3) lived up to performance expectations (after three upgrades from 3G to several iterations of HSDPA). not buying something that is 3G now b/c VZ or AT&T says 4G is "around the corner" is extreme wishful thinking.

  13. Jason, you are generally correct. 2012/3 is the more realistic year for widespread 4G. However Wimax is already here with Clearwire and its partners Sprint, TW Cable and Comcast. And I don't like to get a new phone or change products annually. I don't mind paying a premium as a first adopter but I won't buy a product I have to throw out in a year or 2. Just my pet peeve. Worldwide, trials are beginning/have begun and will be online by year end in a few cases. I was using 3G in Asia in 2003/4. Why buy 3G now when next year I can be using 4G around the world in major cities? China is already rolling it out in May in limited service. Sure the standards are still fuzzy, but LTE or whatever 4G standard is coming.

    Edited by Drew
  14. ...I don't mind paying a premium as a first adopter but I won't buy a product I have to throw out in a year or 2.

     

    I agree, Drew, but I figure when I replace the iPad for a broader range of features, it will have a long-term place on my nightstand as an eReader. Not being on the cutting edge does not mean total obsolescence (i.e., thowing it out).

  15. I agree, Drew, but I figure when I replace the iPad for a broader range of features, it will have a long-term place on my nightstand as an eReader. Not being on the cutting edge does not mean total obsolescence (i.e., thowing it out).

     

    agreed. 3G isn't going away in two years. the device won't be unusable -or even considered obsolete. in fact, like 2G/3G phones today, 4G devices will off load to 3G in poor coverage areas for at least another decade.

     

    these networks take a long time to build, optimise and mature but they also take a very long time to go away. why on earth are we still faxing today!!! but lo and behold, we are. poor example, but still makes the point.

  16. I'm not against people buying it... in fact please do! ;)

    I'm just saying 4G is coming and for those in the Clearwire areas, it's here. Bruce said it, the next few generations will see better implementation of the new technologies available like front facing camera for vid calls and 4G, among other things. Buying the 3G version seems to me a bit backward, but I'm not the type to accept technology has a 2 year life span before I have to 'upgrade.'

    Then there're ethical issues like child labor etc to think about :)

    Edited by Drew
  17. From the latest Aperture 3.0.2 upgrade:

     

    'iPad Compatibility

     

    Enables support for importing photos from iPad to the Aperture Library, as well as syncing of photos to iPad.'

     

    We're getting there.

  18. From the latest Aperture 3.0.2 upgrade:

     

    'iPad Compatibility

     

    Enables support for importing photos from iPad to the Aperture Library, as well as syncing of photos to iPad.'

     

    We're getting there.

     

     

    You beat me too it. If not for storage, at least the iPad may be useful for reviewing and critiquing your shots in the field.

  19. You beat me too it. If not for storage, at least the iPad may be useful for reviewing and critiquing your shots in the field.

    I read somewhere that RAW support is somewhere in iPad capability, so it seems likely that storage (with a drive) is really going to be feasible.

  20. It says on the Apple iPad page that RAW is supported. It was added after the initial announcement was released.

     

    What is not know is if the RAW can be displayed on your iPad without going through a converter on your regular computer. Many small independent photo storage/viewing units only display the imbedded Jpeg. It would be invaluable for evaluating shots in the field if they showed the RAW image.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.