Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D90 replacement rumors

Started by loftus ·

  • 70Posts
  • 70Replies

Read-only discussion

D90 replacement rumors

70 posts
  1. Yeah, there are posts about it in DPReview and some French forums too, very interesting as I am waiting for the announcements to try to get something smaller for me (my D2x is getting heavier with my age! :P ).

  2. if the camera can fit to D90 housing will be great.........

  3. if the camera can fit to D90 housing will be great.........

     

    I love an optimist!

  4. Experience teached me to be a pessimist, so i will be much more happy if my pessimism is wrong...

    It would be toooo nice if she fits the D90 housing, but would it be worth another (hypothetic) 800-1200$

    only for the body? Maybe a dedicated video camera will do the trick better.

     

    Chris

  5. This was suggested several months ago, so I bought a second D90 camera body before my last dive trip in June. After spending all the money on housing, ports, etc. - I figured that a second camera body while available was cheaper on my pocket book. Very glad I did b/c my shutter button boroke off on my primary body and I had to use the new backup body. I know of several folks who waited until their camera body went out of production and finding a second body took some effort and looking around.

     

    I really like the D90 - so upgrades to this model would probably make me envious, but...$$$ get in the way.

     

    DiverPam

  6. Pam,

     

    The same happened to me so I bought a second D90 body.

    In order to protect my shutter button that I broke twice, I am now putting a round patch of heavy rubber scotch on the button.

    The body stays in my housing... Funny enough, the shutter button is now broken, but it works fine with this patch.

     

    Damien

  7. Pam,

     

    The same happened to me so I bought a second D90 body.

    In order to protect my shutter button that I broke twice, I am now putting a round patch of heavy rubber scotch on the button.

    The body stays in my housing... Funny enough, the shutter button is now broken, but it works fine with this patch.

     

    Damien

     

     

    Damien - Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one. Mine was still under warranty so Nikon fixed it, but I am worried about it happening again (and the warranty runs out in a month). Can you put a picture up showing what you did? I would like to be able to do the same if needed.

     

    Interesting, I noticed that we both have the same housing and setup. Wonder if this has to do with the housing or the camera body (shutter button)?

     

    Thanks - DiverPam

    Edited by DiverPam
  8. I broke 2 shutter button, and I know another diver using a D90 and an Aquatica housing who had the same problem (Girelle).

    My D90 is no longer under warranty, but my trick works.

    The shutter button is made in a very poor plastic quality.

    The problem comes from the trigger always pushing the exact same part of the button...

     

    I explained my case to Aquatica and they provided me with a new trigger that I still have to implement to my housing.

     

    send me a message with your email address on flickr and I'll doit.

     

    Damien

     

    We have the exact same rig !!!!

  9. The speculation that I really like is "same noise performance like the D700!" that would be nice indeed.

     

    Pam and Damien was the shutter button issue one of 'wearing out' the button till it would no longer function?

     

    Damien does your fix effect the feel of the 1/2 press?

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  10. So, are they going to call it the D100 MkII? :P

  11. The speculation that I really like is "same noise performance like the D700!" that would be nice indeed.

     

    Pam and Damien was the shutter button issue one of 'wearing out' the button till it would no longer function?

     

    Damien does your fix effect the feel of the 1/2 press?

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

     

     

    Jim - I have only had mine since last August. I would think that it would not have "worn out" in that time frame. I have had it on three dive trips (using every day for 1-2 weeks at a time on trips). I just read Damien's post and will be interested to see what the fic is.

     

    DiverPam

  12. Just sent in a check to get the Subal D300s back for my Subal D300 housing.

     

    This means that Nikon will announce the D400. It will be a great camera and just barely not fit in a Subal D300 housing.

  13. Just sent in a check to get the Subal D300s back for my Subal D300 housing.

     

    This means that Nikon will announce the D400. It will be a great camera and just barely not fit in a Subal D300 housing.

     

    Thank you for doing so! I was waiting for the D400 and now I am 100% sure it will be announced shortly! :P

  14. If it has the same noise-levels as the D700 it will be phenomenal! I frequently use my D700 at 4000ISO.

  15. Pam and Damien was the shutter button issue one of 'wearing out' the button till it would no longer function?

     

    Damien does your fix effect the feel of the 1/2 press?

     

    You keep the 1/2 press effect.

     

    Some shots...

    post-23272-1279969713.jpg

    post-23272-1279969727.jpg

  16. I experienced the same problem with the shutter button of my D90. Nikon offered no warranty and billed me 231 euro for replacement.

    I bought a second body, but I have already scratches on my new button. I also place some ducktape on the button to protect it? May be Aquatica can offer protection for the shutter button? Looks to me that only Aquatica users have the problems with broken shutter buttons ?

  17. Damein- Can you share what the fix was from Aquatica with the group? Jean, are you on here? Do you have any more information on how to help the group with this issue? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

     

    Is there anyone else who has had this problem.

     

    DiverPam

  18. Hi Pam, strangely enough after over 20 years of using the same trigger lever design on our housing we started seing this issue with the D90 and not on any other Nikon cameras, I know that its not exclusive to our housing, but be it as it may, we are actively working on a modification to cure that weakness on the D90 trigger button, it still need to be proof tested and if it does indeed pass the testing stage (it should) it will go into production and anybody who wants a replacement part just need to e-mail me at jean@aquatica.ca and I will be happy to send them the parts, so far the modification design only requires minor work easily done by even the most mechanically challenged individual. So again its jean@aquatica.ca

    Edited by Viz'art
  19. Is this anything similar to my problem Jean?

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.