Here's Thom's commentary copied shamelessly from his site bythom.com:
Nikon has announcements scheduled for the week of August 16th (I believe there are two days of announcements: the 17th and the 18th, but I'm never invited so I don't know for sure, I'm getting those dates second hand). As Nikon Rumors has reported, we're going to get the fall Coolpix line (including a new P camera), a low-end DSLR (the D3000 replacement), and some lenses. Conspicuously missing from that list are the D90 replacement, the D700 replacement, and the mirrorless camera. I sort of doubt Nikon would make another announcement prior to Photokina (historically, Nikon doesn't do big announcements that close together--it overtaxes their subsidiaries, amongst other things).
So either he or Nikonrumors thinks no D90 replacement will be announced.
Cheers
James
Here's Thom's commentary copied shamelessly from his site bythom.com:
So either he or Nikonrumors thinks no D90 replacement will be announced.
Cheers
James
James,
I have a different impression from following this rumon on these sites. Not a given, but quite possible there will be a D90 replacement announced before Photokina.
I broke 2 shutter button, and I know another diver using a D90 and an Aquatica housing who had the same problem (Girelle).
My D90 is no longer under warranty, but my trick works.
The shutter button is made in a very poor plastic quality.
The problem comes from the trigger always pushing the exact same part of the button...
I explained my case to Aquatica and they provided me with a new trigger that I still have to implement to my housing.
send me a message with your email address on flickr and I'll doit.
Damien
We have the exact same rig !!!!
Glad to hear you guys had the same problem with a broken shutter button on the Nikon D90. I happened to me twice with the D80 and recently with the D90. Both times with the Ikelite housing. I agree that it must the poor plastic quuality of the button, in combination with the trigger of the housing that is not completely aligned with the centre of the button. A piece of tape on the (broken) button also helped me out (temporarily)!
Albert
You keep the 1/2 press effect.
Some shots...
Thanks for the pics with the tape! Had the same problem with D80 and D90. The silvery Nikon button breaks of, but the press mechanism underneath is still working. Thats why when you replace the broken disc plus the little spring back on its original place with the tape, you may still be able to use the shutter release. I had the button repaired by Nikon for 158 Euro (!), but still use the tape as a precautionary measure against another break of the new button..
German magazine foto digital jumped ahead of Nikon on new products announcement. No word on the D90 replacement yet.
Resurrecting an old thread here, as it seems that rumors are getting more reliable now. It seems like the replacement for the D90 will be announced within the next few days, it will be called D7000, will have 16mp and high def video capability. All the photo sites are a buzz about it.
I hope live view on the new camera is improved. It is pretty much worthless on the D90 / D5000.
The Nikon D7000 announcement appears imminent for tonight. Assuming video is up to snuff and high ISO performance is as good as my D700 as rumored, this may be my next diving underwater camera.
For Nikon users this may be the ideal underwater camera, having everything one needs without some of the extra bells and whistles like higher frame rate that are of little use underwater, and of course a great price.
I may seriously consider going back to DX for diving so I can use the Tokina 10-17, and still stick to FF for the pool.
The Nikon D7000 announcement appears imminent for tonight. Assuming video is up to snuff and high ISO performance is as good as my D700 as rumored, this may be my next diving underwater camera.
For Nikon users this may be the ideal underwater camera, having everything one needs without some of the extra bells and whistles like higher frame rate that are of little use underwater, and of course a great price.
I may seriously consider going back to DX for diving so I can use the Tokina 10-17, and still stick to FF for the pool.
That Live View switch is going to be a pain for housing makers!
Alex
That Live View switch is going to be a pain for housing makers!
Alex
No pain, no gain. 100% VF view is welcomed as well as less noise at higher ISOs. If the LV is that little dooey on the upper right, how much worst than the M/A swithch on the front?
That Live View switch is going to be a pain for housing makers!
Alex
and they have a double mode wheel on the top left?? S CL CH modes..what are they?
and they have a double mode wheel on the top left?? S CL CH modes..what are they?
S= Single shot
CL= Continious shooting Low Speed
CH= Continious shooting High Speed
and most likely you'll also find Mirror Up and Selftimer over there.
Actually, i was still hoping that the D7000 would be the successor of the D300s, which IMO nobody will buy anymore, since there's very few advantages over the D7000 (mainly 51 point focus sensor). Is there anyone who knows when to expect the D400? Or do you guys think that the D300s will be the last in line of the DX00 series with a DX size sensor, since on Nikonrumors everybody is moaning for the D700 successor and i do not want FX since it has more drawbacks then advantages for me. One would expect that Nikon will come up with a good alternative over the Canon's 7D soon. I really want to upgrade from my old D200 to something much better. If the 7D would not be a Canon but a Nikon i would have owned it for sure.
Udo
Hi guys,
Full details and images of the D7000 are on the front page.
I was only saying yesterday that I might be migrating to a 7D!
Adam
The AF mode switch will also take some handling by the housing manufacturers.