Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D90 replacement rumors

Started by loftus ·

  • 70Posts
  • 70Replies

Read-only discussion

D90 replacement rumors

70 posts
  1. Is this anything similar to my problem Jean?

     

    It looks like it could be, just to be sure I'll have a part fowarded to you too when they are ready.

  2. Not had a problem with my D90 in a Nexus housing but also have not given it much service in the housing so far. Going to Indonesia in Oct and now you all have me nervous! But rather than take a second body, perhaps just take some duct tape...

    Can anyone post a picture of the Aquatica button that is triggering the D90? Interested to see how it compares to the Nexus housing.

  3. Not had a problem with my D90 in a Nexus housing but also have not given it much service in the housing so far. Going to Indonesia in Oct and now you all have me nervous! But rather than take a second body, perhaps just take some duct tape...

    Can anyone post a picture of the Aquatica button that is triggering the D90? Interested to see how it compares to the Nexus housing.

    Yo Dave,

    I am assuming that my D80 and your D90 shutter button are the same. I have used my Nexus D80 rig for several years without a problem. Since the D90 is proubly out of production, it couldn't hurt to pick up a spare. I like to leave one camera in the housing set to go and another to shoot top side stuff.

    Bob

  4. Hi Pam, strangely enough after over 20 years of using the same trigger lever design on our housing we started seing this issue with the D90 and not on any other Nikon cameras, I know that its not exclusive to our housing, but be it as it may, we are actively working on a modification to cure that weakness on the D90 trigger button, it still need to be proof tested and if it does indeed pass the testing stage (it should) it will go into production and anybody who wants a replacement part just need to e-mail me at jean@aquatica.ca and I will be happy to send them the parts, so far the modification design only requires minor work easily done by even the most mechanically challenged individual. So again its jean@aquatica.ca

     

     

    Jean - Thanks for the update on what is happening with this. I really do appreciate the attention at Aquatica to details like this - as well as your involvement on wetpixel with the group. And you would probably be talking about me in terms of mechanically challenged - thank goodness my husband can fix almost anything.

     

     

    Bob...for right now, the D90 is still available - but for how long is anyone's guess right now. I would agree with getting a spare if you can. I found them on sale a couple of months ago (at $750.00 for the body only - no tax or shipping with that). Do not know what they are right now.

     

    DiverPam

  5. A spare D90 body would be a smart move by me. But then if I am spending that amount of money, I would rather spend a bit more and get an Inon 45 degree viewfinder....until my sole body goes out on a trip and would wish for the other choice.

     

    A 'special' moment was last yr when the wife agreed to the purchase of the Nexus housing/ports, etc. She said, "Go ahead and get it so we can stop spending money on u/w photography all the time."

    It was so hard not to laugh...I had to nod in silent agreement with no body language to give it away. :)

  6. I have never had a spare body for any of my DSLRs (although I would if I earned more money) and I have never had a problem than has needed one.

     

    It is not essential.

     

    Alex

  7. you better knock on wood right about now there Mister

  8. I have never had a spare body for any of my DSLRs (although I would if I earned more money) and I have never had a problem than has needed one.

     

    It is not essential.

     

    Alex

    I am not exactly flush with cash either and lack Dave’s masking abilities. I bought my daughter a D80 for Christmas and she kindly lets me borrow it for dive trips. That way I have two cameras.

    Bob

  9. I had my shutter button break last year too with the Aquatica housing. Luckily it was under warranty. I was able to tape the button back on during the trip and was able to continue shooting.

     

    Kirk

  10. I had to have my shutter button replaced in my Nikon D80. I had the D80 in an Ikelite housing.

     

    I would love be able to fit the D90 replacement straight into my Aquatica AD90 without any mods. Maybe even just a rear end of the housing upgrade. Could be an idea for housing manufacturers to offer just the rear end upgrade instead of buying a whole new housing. I know I would buy one straight away.

     

    Cheers Mark

  11. We did with the D200 to D300 since both had the same front, the D300 to D300s we couldn't since we meanwhile changed our approach from using casting to machining on a 5 axis machine from solid aluminum.

     

    If possible we always try to work it in the line up.

  12. We did with the D200 to D300 since both had the same front, the D300 to D300s we couldn't since we meanwhile changed our approach from using casting to machining on a 5 axis machine from solid aluminum.

     

    If possible we always try to work it in the line up.

     

    hi Jean.

     

    If its just the rear end upgrade what would you say the price would be say for the D90 to the D90 replacement?

     

    Do you ever get to see the new models before they are released to the public?

     

    Regards Mark

  13. hi Jean.

     

    If its just the rear end upgrade what would you say the price would be say for the D90 to the D90 replacement?

     

    Do you ever get to see the new models before they are released to the public?

     

    Regards Mark

     

    It is usually half if not more of the housing, the rear is by far the most complex of the two parts to manufacture, much more moving parts, holes to be drilled, shaft to be machined, so one has to be careful when calculating these factors, the rear of the housing, funny enough, does not gererally benefit from the same stature as the front does.

     

    We never, ever, ever (or rarely :) ) get to see a camera before the public, not officially at least LOL, thruth is we have a very cordial and friendly relationship with the local sales rep, and they are often kind enough to supply us with their demo in the first few day that they get them so it can be scanned in 3D.

  14. I would love be able to fit the D90 replacement straight into my Aquatica AD90 without any mods. Maybe even just a rear end of the housing upgrade. Could be an idea for housing manufacturers to offer just the rear end upgrade instead of buying a whole new housing. I know I would buy one straight away.

    Nexus did that with the D80 to D90, if memory serves correctly. I do not recall the price for the rear housing modification but it was much better than the price of a new housing.

  15. Nexus has a large acrylic window insert that lends itself to this kind of mods, In our case, because of extended depth rating issues, it is not an approach we can or will consider using so we have to make it out of solid aluminum and not just swap a back window.

  16. I have never had a spare body for any of my DSLRs (although I would if I earned more money) and I have never had a problem than has needed one.

     

    It is not essential.

     

    Alex

    Thank you for the feedback. Now I know what to list at the top of my christmas wishes.... I am thinking of the Inon 45 degree viewfinder! And since I should see it in person first, I can add flying to Florida to see them at REEF...and add diving at Blue Heron Bridge.

    Unless someone comes out with a D90 replacement that I cannot resist.

  17. Thank you for the feedback. Now I know what to list at the top of my christmas wishes.... I am thinking of the Inon 45 degree viewfinder! And since I should see it in person first, I can add flying to Florida to see them at REEF...and add diving at Blue Heron Bridge.

    Unless someone comes out with a D90 replacement that I cannot resist.

    We should know about the D90 replacement (D95?) before the 3rd week of this month or it will be much later in Nikon's fiscal year (ends Mar 2011). The Nexus replacement back entailed sending in the housing and the back was modified for the D90, therefore you can't use the D90 & D80 in the same housing. As best I recall the cost was about $1,600 to $1,800 USD. Though the D90 is a much improved D80, it was not worth it to me.

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  18. 1600USD off a 2800USD come up to what I was saying, a bit more than half of the complete housing, figure somewhere around +/- 900 to 110USD for our back if, and its a big IF its feasible. just don't get you hope up, Japan's photo industry has not this concern very high on their priority list, I doubt they would make subsequent camera model of the same layout just to make us happy :) still, it be nice to get a break once in a while.

  19. Japan's photo industry has not this concern very high on their priority list, I doubt they would make subsequent camera model of the same layout just to make us happy :unsure: still, it be nice to get a break once in a while.

    Jean, I want you to be happy! I am buying into Thom Hogan's (www.bythom.com) and other's argument for a modular camera. Replace the innards like sensors, etc. but keep the same basic body configuration.

    Bob

  20. The idea is attractive, still when you design something to be interchageable you have to add mechanical linkage and connectors of some sort, be it a primitive hinge and latch or a sophisticated mechanism and that will make anything small much bigger unfortunately. Think of it as your camera interchangeable battery compartment versus a built in battery. it be great if they could get it done without altering the size of the average DSLR, but I wouldn't want to end up with something the size of a medium format camera. :unsure:

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.