Does anyone or has anyone used the 4.33" Nauticam dome with the Sigma 15mm fisheye lens. I am using it with the 8.5" dome and wonder if there are any advantages in using a smaller dome for this lens. Also another question - What are peoples thoughts on the Sigma 17-70mm lens? Is it a good all round lens or not really worth getting.
Deb
Hi Deb,
Yes, you can use the Sigma 15mm with the minidome. The real advantage is compactness although you have the disadvantage of increased difficulty for over-under shots.
I like the Sigma 17-70mm lens although you'd need to use this with a large dome port and either a 50mm or a 60mm extension depending on which camera and lens you are using. That said, since I got a 1.4x teleconverter to use with the Tokina 10-17 and minidome, I haven't gone back to the Sigma 17-70.
Alex
Hi Deb,
Yes, you can use the Sigma 15mm with the minidome. The real advantage is compactness although you have the disadvantage of increased difficulty for over-under shots.
I like the Sigma 17-70mm lens although you'd need to use this with a large dome port and either a 50mm or a 60mm extension depending on which camera and lens you are using. That said, since I got a 1.4x teleconverter to use with the Tokina 10-17 and minidome, I haven't gone back to the Sigma 17-70.
Alex
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your reply. I'm leaning towards a minidome. Is the zen 100 a glass dome and would that be better than the 4.33" acrylic dome? I also have a 1.4x teleconverter but I have always thought the Tokina 10-17mm was a fisheye lens for a DX format not FX like the d700. Can you clarify if I could use a Tokina 10-17mm on my camera, thank you.
Deb
Hi Deb,
Yes the Tokina 10-17 is designed for DX cameras. Optical glass domes benefit from non-reflective coating on the inside surface meaning no lens reflection. The Zen is slightly smaller than the Nauticam which will result in the ability to use wide apertures with the larger of the two. Swings and roundabouts really.
Alex
Hi Deb,
Yes the Tokina 10-17 is designed for DX cameras. Optical glass domes benefit from non-reflective coating on the inside surface meaning no lens reflection. The Zen is slightly smaller than the Nauticam which will result in the ability to use wide apertures with the larger of the two. Swings and roundabouts really.
Alex
Thanks Alex,
I have read your article on the minidome and you mention there is some problems with the Sigma 15mm and having to have the dome shaved off. Is this the problem I might have if I put one on my d700 and use with the minidome. I was thinking of possibly using the lens with a teleconverter and an extension in the minidome. Do you know if this would work??
Thanks again for your help.
Deb
That said, since I got a 1.4x teleconverter to use with the Tokina 10-17 and minidome, I haven't gone back to the Sigma 17-70.
I'll second that!
I'll second that!
Hi,
I am not quite understanding your reply. You'd second not going back to the 17-70mm is the way I read this. My last question is in regards to the 15mm and using it with a teleconverter on a d700 (full frame) with the minidome. Sorry, but I believe I can't use the Tokina 10-17mm on a full frame camera which is what I have got. I would love to be able to.
Deb
I am not quite understanding your reply. You'd second not going back to the 17-70mm is the way I read this.
I was one of the first people who started using the Sigma 17-70 underwater when it first came on the market. It was my favourite lens for diving new sites where I didn't know what I would find or for when I couldn't make up my mind on whether I wanted to shoot wide angle or macro. When I started using the 10-17 on a 1.4X teleconverter with a 4" dome I found it gave more magnifcation than the 17-70 at the macro end and much wider at the wind end and it is now my favourite combination as an all around lens. My comment on Alex's statement was just stating that I agreed with him.
Sorry, but I believe I can't use the Tokina 10-17mm on a full frame camera which is what I have got. I would love to be able to.
I personally dont like the Sigma 17-70mm Macro. Its too slow to focus on the larger stuff @ 17mm and hard to shoot macro behind the 8 inch dome @ 70mm. Everytime I used this lens I always think why didn't I just stay with the Tokina 10-17mm or just put on the 60/105mm on.
My Sigma 17-70 is back in its box sittting on my desk and rarely gets used.
Regards Mark
Wouldnt the fact that the Sigma 17-70 being a digital lens (Sigma call it DC which is like Nikon's DX) be an issue when shooting it on a Nikon D700???
Regards Mark
I was one of the first people who started using the Sigma 17-70 underwater when it first came on the market. It was my favourite lens for diving new sites where I didn't know what I would find or for when I couldn't make up my mind on whether I wanted to shoot wide angle or macro. When I started using the 10-17 on a 1.4X teleconverter with a 4" dome I found it gave more magnifcation than the 17-70 at the macro end and much wider at the wind end and it is now my favourite combination as an all around lens. My comment on Alex's statement was just stating that I agreed with him.
Thanks for this information. Have read it all and am really quite excited that it can be done. Will certainly be looking at this possibility. Is there any reason why I couldn't use the Sigma 15mm with a teleconverter, 30mm extension and the minidome? I realise this is not a zoom lens but would it still work the same?
Deb
Wouldnt the fact that the Sigma 17-70 being a digital lens (Sigma call it DC which is like Nikon's DX) be an issue when shooting it on a Nikon D700???
Regards Mark
Hi Mark,
Love some of your shots on flicker. Are they taken at Byron Bay. My husband and I are heading up that way from Victoria in 3 weeks and can't wait to see some leopard sharks and rays. Thanks for your replies. I wasn't aware the 17-70mm Sigma was a DX lens. I have been looking for what I could use as a general purpose lens. You know, when you don't know what's there or not sure if you want wide or macro. Still don't know what I will look at although the Tokina 10-17 with the teleconverter now sounds like a really good option.
Thanks again
Deb
Hi Mark,
Love some of your shots on flicker. Are they taken at Byron Bay. My husband and I are heading up that way from Victoria in 3 weeks and can't wait to see some leopard sharks and rays. Thanks for your replies. I wasn't aware the 17-70mm Sigma was a DX lens. I have been looking for what I could use as a general purpose lens. You know, when you don't know what's there or not sure if you want wide or macro. Still don't know what I will look at although the Tokina 10-17 with the teleconverter now sounds like a really good option.
Thanks again
Deb
Hi Deb,
Thank you for your comment and most of my shots are taken at Julian Rocks, Byron Bay. I simply love my Tokina 10-17mm and honestly it rarely comes off 10mm. Let me know when your up this way as I be glad to show you around Julian Rocks and find all the big stuff for ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle work. Hopefully the Manta's should be more common by then as we had two large ones yesterday.
Regards Mark
Hi Deb,
Thank you for your comment and most of my shots are taken at Julian Rocks, Byron Bay. I simply love my Tokina 10-17mm and honestly it rarely comes off 10mm. Let me know when your up this way as I be glad to show you around Julian Rocks and find all the big stuff for ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle work. Hopefully the Manta's should be more common by then as we had two large ones yesterday.
Regards Mark
Hi Mark,
We will be arriving at Byron Bay on Sunday 20th Feb to start diving on the Monday. We plan to do at least 8 dives over the week. We are thinking of booking double dives for the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Probably with Sundive. We haven't dive up here at all so will welcome any help to find the big stuff. Obviously, you live up at Byron. Who do you normally dive with? There are 3 of us coming up for the week.
Deb
Have read it all and am really quite excited that it can be done. Will certainly be looking at this possibility. Is there any reason why I couldn't use the Sigma 15mm with a teleconverter, 30mm extension and the minidome? I realise this is not a zoom lens but would it still work the same?
I believe it should work but would test that the 15mm does not vignette with the teleconverter before paying for a teleconverter. If you're using a 30mm extension with the lens by itself you'll also need to add an extension ring the same length as the teleconverter.
I believe it should work but would test that the 15mm does not vignette with the teleconverter before paying for a teleconverter. If you're using a 30mm extension with the lens by itself you'll also need to add an extension ring the same length as the teleconverter.
Thanks for your response. I have decided to set it up with the Tokina 10-17mm with the teleconverter, extension and minidome. In the process of organising the items now. Thanks again for all the information you sent. It has made my mind up to try it this way. Heading to
Byron Bay in 3 weeks and hope to have what I need before I go.
Deb
Heading to Byron Bay in 3 weeks and hope to have what I need before I go.
I may see you there, we're beginning to be regular visitors down there since we moved over from Western Australia.
Hi Mark,
We will be arriving at Byron Bay on Sunday 20th Feb to start diving on the Monday. We plan to do at least 8 dives over the week. We are thinking of booking double dives for the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Probably with Sundive. We haven't dive up here at all so will welcome any help to find the big stuff. Obviously, you live up at Byron. Who do you normally dive with? There are 3 of us coming up for the week.
Deb
Hi Deb,
Thats sounds great. I actually work at Sundive as a guide/DM and when its quiet (during the week) I try and get out as much as I can with my camera. During the week is a great time as I have days off from my other work and it isnt as busy as it is on the weekends where alot of divers come down from Queensland. Dont forget your macro lenses also as there ar some awesome macro dives at Julian Rocks. One particular area has a huge range of Nudibranchs and its common to find 15 different species on a single dive.
Fridays are also fun as we get mostly photographers on the dives and everyone is talking about camera's, f-stops, and settings. Its fun social gathering of some nice people that love their underwater photography.
Regards Mark
Hi Deb,
Thats sounds great. I actually work at Sundive as a guide/DM and when its quiet (during the week) I try and get out as much as I can with my camera. During the week is a great time as I have days off from my other work and it isnt as busy as it is on the weekends where alot of divers come down from Queensland. Dont forget your macro lenses also as there ar some awesome macro dives at Julian Rocks. One particular area has a huge range of Nudibranchs and its common to find 15 different species on a single dive.
Fridays are also fun as we get mostly photographers on the dives and everyone is talking about camera's, f-stops, and settings. Its fun social gathering of some nice people that love their underwater photography.
Regards Mark
Sounds great. Looking forward to meeting you. With three of us diving, do you recommend we book our dive now and pay for them?
Deb
Sounds great. Looking forward to meeting you. With three of us diving, do you recommend we book our dive now and pay for them?
Deb
Hi Deb,
Normally a week before is plenty of time regarding bookings, especially for dives during the week. In the mean time if there is an special critters you want to find send me a list so I can keep my eye over the next few weeks. You be surprised what can turn up.