Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Glass for Nex 7?

Started by christianh ·

  • 39Posts
  • 39Replies

Read-only discussion

Glass for Nex 7?

39 posts
  1. Losing track on what I've postyed, an adapter is available now for Canon lenses, in April one for Nikon will be available too...MX camera....on sontalpharumours.....

     

    “We saw our product and video in your website! We are so happy about that!! We are now developing the Contax G to Sony NEX adapter with AF function and it is almost finish. We will update the information to you very soon.Some people email us about Nikon G to NEX (AF support) adapter. We will start this project around November(after Contax G to NEX AF adapter) and we think we will finish it before April 2013.”

  2. So much "close" on the horizon. I guess one question now is Nex6 vs. Nex7?? Rumors of Nex7N or the like?

  3. Well my NEX-6 just arrived :)

    post-16933-0-91863900-1351000030_thumb.jpg

  4. I'm trying to decide if I can base my next UW-vamera on NEX. It comes down to that I want a good low-light capable WA option. Preferably rectilinear, rather not fisheye.

     

    From that viewpoint, NEX right now only has one option, 16mm + adapter (UWA or FW), that for example nauticam houses. There are many comments on quality, but a plus is to be able to play with both WA & FE with the same solution.

     

    How usable would you think the new Sony 10-18 f4 would be UW? It would require a completely different port solution and diameter dome I suppose, right?

     

    Cheers

    /O

  5. Hi all,

     

    I will (most likely) buy a NEX-7, but the available lenses are of no interest to me for underwater use.

    I'm getting a bit desperate, as I'm leaving on a (very) long journey of photo and diving soonish.

     

    Looking at the Nauticam port chart (http://www.nauticam....t/pdf_143_1.pdf), there are some Nikonos to Nex adapter.

     

    I've no experience in Nikonos, but would that be a viable option?

    How does Nikonos lenses work, the aperture and focus knobs are directly on the lens IIUC, which is waterproof without a port? (forgive my ignorance, I was not in the water during the Nikonos era smile.png.

    Would they be alright for an APC-S sensor?

     

    Any input on the combination NEX 7 with Nikonos glass most appreciated!

     

    cheers,

    Christian

     

    I use some Nikonos lenses on a micro-four-thirds camera (Olympus EP1) in a one-of-a-kind experimental housing. The EP1 has a higher crop-factor than the NEX cameras, 2.0 instead of 1.6, but it's lower resolution so the pixel size is probably similar.

     

    Here are my opinions:

     

    The 80mm is REALLY hard to use. I usually try it with the Nikonos close-up adapter for supermacro, but the depth of field of a 160mm equivalent lens along with manual focus is problematic, at least for me. I believe that the lens is sharp, I just haven't gotten any supermacro images in focus yet. Here are the closest:

     

     

    4578682819_7079222a4a_b.jpg

    P5040991.jpg by davelewinn, on Flickr

     

     

    5356750695_b273419fc3_b.jpg

    P5040978-2 by davelewinn, on Flickr

     

    The 28mm lens is OK, maybe a little better with the closeup adapter, but nothing great. This is my best shot with the 28mm:

     

     

    4575819527_10863800b8_b.jpg

    P5030857.jpg by davelewinn, on Flickr

     

    The 15mm Nikonos lens is the only one I regularly use. It is more than sharp enough for a 12 megapixel sensor on a 2.0 crop factor camera, which is pretty astounding for a lens that age. Here is an example of a shot I took to try to later identify the beaded anemone, which shows what the 15mm is capable of even on a crop sensor camera:

     

    8180971938_536edec007_b.jpg

    Turks and Caicos by davelewinn, on Flickr

     

    Personally, I find myself using a modern fisheye lens with autofocus and a dome port more than the Nikonos lenses. As frustrating as autofocus sometimes can be, manual focus is even more frustrating.

  6. Just bought the Zeiss 12mm with a Zen 170mm glass dome and adapter for my NEX7 ready for Palau

  7. Has anyone a decent solution for macro on the NEX system? In my opinion the 30mm macro e-mount is not usable as the focal length is to short.

     

    Would it be possible to use the 60mm Macro (Tamron) with the LA-EA1 adapter? This solution would depend on the availability of a port and the possibility of manual focus as the auto-focus would be very slow with the adapter. Has anybody more information on that topic?

  8. Interesting combo! It will be interesting to see how it performs and what maximum aperture it is still good!

     

    /O

     

    Just bought the Zeiss 12mm with a Zen 170mm glass dome and adapter for my NEX7 ready for Palau

  9. Has anyone a decent solution for macro on the NEX system? In my opinion the 30mm macro e-mount is not usable as the focal length is to short.

     

    Would it be possible to use the 60mm Macro (Tamron) with the LA-EA1 adapter? This solution would depend on the availability of a port and the possibility of manual focus as the auto-focus would be very slow with the adapter. Has anybody more information on that topic?

    Zeiss 50mm macro officially launced today. Available for preorder from BH

     

    Interesting combo! It will be interesting to see how it performs and what maximum aperture it is still good!

     

    /O

     

    Yep I will le tyou know how it goes. Had a fantastic write up at Reef photo

  10. Zeiss 50mm macro officially launced today. Available for preorder from BH

     

    Yep I will le tyou know how it goes. Had a fantastic write up at Reef photo

    Thanks for the hint but I would like to know if my suggested setup would work ($1000 is also a lot of money for a 50mm macro)

  11. Macro options for the NEX system

     

    1) 18-55mm kit lens + wet diopter

    examples (scroll down): http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49531&hl=

     

    2) 30mm Macro

    examples: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51046&hl=

     

    3) Nikonos 80mm lens + extension tubes

    examples: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50651&hl=

     

    4) Canon 60mm + nex to canon adapter + special nauticam port

    examples: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49531&hl=

     

    5) Canon 100mm = nex to canon adapter + special zen underwater port

    photo of the port: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51705&hl=%2Bcanon+%2B100mm&do=findComment&comment=341370

     

    I haven't seen images yet

     

    6) 50mm Zeiss native mount due in March and no port yet.

     

     

     

    While we are at it, might as well round up the Wide Angle options too

     

    1) 16mm + FE or WA adapter + Nauticam 4.3in Dome

    examples (scroll down): http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51046&hl=

     

    2) 10-15mm zoom + Nauticam 7in Dome

    examples: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49531&hl=

     

    3) Zeiss 12mm + extension + zen glass dome (170mm or 6.5in I think?)

    examples: http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=blog&id=92

     

    4) Nikonos 15mm or Sea & Sea 12mm

    examples: 15mm: http://nauticam.com/gallery-image-detail.asp?id=25&page=1

    12mm: http://nauticam.com/gallery-image-detail.asp?id=24&page=1

  12. JM

    nice pictures from Nauticam

    I have been using Nex cameras last year, buying 5n (flooded) followed by 5r. Also got 6 and 3n

    5r is currently my camera at service underwater

    the 30mm macro is a good macro one, providing reasonably sharpness down under. I tried the old 18-55 and newer 16-50 lens but not much interested. Can be a flexible one.

    However, other prime lenses are great including 35 f1.8, 50 f1.8. The Sigma f2.8 lenses at 19mm, 30mm and 60mm are great too

    Upcoming Zeiss macro at 50 should not disappoint any one

  13. Samples9612876100_b04ddf98d1_b.jpg9595583967_2e76888297_b.jpg9595584181_af45676636_b.jpg

  14. I just bought the Sony 10-18mm. Can I use it with the small Nauticam dome port that I have used with the pancake lens on the Nauticam housing?

     

    Also can the Nauticam NEX-7 housing be retro-fitted with the vacuum system?

  15. I just bought the Sony 10-18mm. Can I use it with the small Nauticam dome port that I have used with the pancake lens on the Nauticam housing?

     

    Also can the Nauticam NEX-7 housing be retro-fitted with the vacuum system?

    I dont beleive it can be retrofitted to the NEX7. That is what i have been told but just check with your Nauticam dealer. Aso for the Sony 10-18 hop over to Sony Snapper on Scubaboard has been a fiar bit of discussion about what to use there. Some suggets the 7 inch dome. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sony-snappers/466885-wide-angle-setup-nex-7-a-3.html

  16. The vacuum system will not fit into the NEX7 housing, the only MILC housings possible are the GH2, GH3, EM5 and now the newer GX7 and EM1.

  17. Thanks all. I was really hoping it would retro-fit. Just need to remain careful with O-rings.

  18. Did any of you Nex users found the slow maximum flash sync speed to be a problem to your photography?

     

    thank you

  19. I just bought the Sony 10-18mm. Can I use it with the small Nauticam dome port that I have used with the pancake lens on the Nauticam housing?

     

    Also can the Nauticam NEX-7 housing be retro-fitted with the vacuum system?

    How about the 10-18 with the dome mentioned above?

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.