Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 779Posts
  • 779Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus OM-D E-M5

779 posts
  1. Thomas,

    I think if you more on macro, the 12-50mm macro port will give you more advantage.

    I can't say how convenient for you, but I have no problem to rely on the Fn button. Most of the time at 50mm + wet lens and if needed you can switch to 12mm easily and flip the wet lens.

    However, if I really want into macro - such as in Lembeh - I will use my 60mm.

     

    If you have the OMD with 12-50mm and diopter at your hand, just assign Fn button and imagine you are diving in your fav. site and try to shoot any macro object at various sizes you expect you will see at the site.

    You will get the felling.

  2. May I sum up the recent discussion? : Buy ANY of the suggested combinations - IT WILL WORK FINE!

     

    Jock

  3.  

    However, if I really want into macro - such as in Lembeh - I will use my 60mm.

     

     

    Absolutely !! And I must add also the 45 mm Panasonic , which is a great lense too . With the Subsee +10 you can do really good macro even try supermacro .

    As well that you can do very beautiful wide angle with the 8mm fisheye of Panasonic that I own or other dedicateced wide angle that I don't own , and that I've never try , so I can't speak about .

    In both situations wide angle and macro you can't get the same result with the 12-50 , you can make excellent pictures with it , but not the level you can have with the fixed focal lenses .

    Also versatility underwater is difficult , because jumping from wide angle to macro needs a complete change of mind , and adjustements for the camera and the flashes as well , it's extremely difficult and tiring . Better to go for macro OR wide angle before the dive.

    I own also the 12-50 with the very expensive but so well built port and zoom gear from Nauticam ,I use it from time to time , but there always someyhing missing me especially in wide angle .

    The OMD is really a great camera , full of possibilities , but you could miss something if you try to manage everything with the 12-50 even if it's a great lense , no needing anymore fixed macro or wide angle lense .

    The OMD is not a compact camera , it's an interchangeable compact camera , so use it :)

     

    Ps I hope that my english will not create misunderstanding ...

  4.  

    Ps I hope that my english will not create misunderstanding ...

     

    All clear :)

  5. After a great deal of thought about the 12-50 lens, I have changed my original plan. In the hope this may assist someone else, here is what I have done:

     

    I purchased the Nauticam 12-50 port and gear. I decided that even though I always have to travel to dive, I was placing too much emphasis on trying to get as many lenses as possible into 2 or 3 ports. Also, macro is usually a pretty small part of my dive photography, and tends to come up at unexpected moments, so my basic setup (and for me, diving always means traveling) will be:

     

    8mm in either 3.5 or 4.33 dome depending on destination

    7-14 in 6” port

    12-50 with Nauticam gear in the Nauti 12-50 port

     

    If the destination and my goals warrant, I might add the 60 macro lens to the above and would use it in the 12-50 port. For my typical use, I can’t really see a lot of value in taking the 45 macro and port in addition to the 12-50.

     

    If space is critical, I would take only the 8mm and the 12-50 or perhaps substitute the 9-18 and 4” port for the 7-14 and take it as well.

     

    I am very curious about the Zen 170mm dome and could see that perhaps changing the lineup in the future. Looking forward to some more information on this port.

  6. Just added a GoPro Hero 2 to my setup - will be testing it out tomorrow.

     

    Karl

     

    Camera+Set+%2526+GoPro-1.jpg

     

    Camera+Set+%2526+GoPro-2.jpg

  7. Karl: Nice set up.

    Is that M77 to M67 flip diopter adapter holder?

  8. Karl: Nice set up.

    Is that M77 to M67 flip diopter adapter holder?

     

    Thomas - no I have the Macro 65 Port for the 60mm macro lens so it is the M67 flip diopter holder. At the moment I just have a +3 diopter but I will be getting a +6. I also use the 12 - 50mm in this setup as well.

     

    Karl

  9. Karl: Thanks for your respond.

    After divng, please show us some photos taken with this stuff :rolleyes:

    Edited by Thomas K.
  10. Karl! I have the exact same config with a gopro. Haven't been able to test it yet though!

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  11. A friend with the GH2 borrowed my 8 mm fisheye for use in the 3,5" dome port. With this set up you will get some slight vignetting in the corners. Probably because of the GH2 cameras multi aspect ratio sensor which gives a 1,86x crop factor instead of the regular 2x crop. I.e. The field of view is slightly larger so here the 4,33 dome port really is the only option.

    Edited by EspenB
  12. Hi,

     

    First thanks to everyone for posting all the great info as I just upgraded my system to the EM5 & Nauticam housing w/ 12-50 lens/port and found the information very helpful. I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on what dome/wide angle port to buy as I'm seeing quite a variation on combinations different than the basic Nauticam chart on their webpage?

     

    I already have the 9-18 Olympus lens from my EPL3 system - but to be honest I think I would like to try the 8mm Panasonic Fisheye lens too - is there a port that would work for both? The Nauticam port chart lists the 4" wide angle port for the 9-18 lens and either the 4.33" or 3.5" dome port for the Panasonic. Would one or more of these work for both of the lens and what is the pro/con of the different ports with these 2 lens?

     

    Thanks so much for the input.

    Audrey

  13. Hello Audrey, I also would ike to use the 9-18mm and 8mm with one port and I am thinking of adding a 30mm extension to the 4.33" port for use with the 9-18mm.

    Since I already have the 3.5" I will try first with that although I am afraid it may not focus close enough. When I get the 30mm extension I will report... However the 4.33" and extension should work...

  14. Hi guys,

    as promised here are the new pics from Palau and some Drop Art Shots in the Folder 2013 http://marine-snapshots.com/galleries.php

    Most of the Palau Photos are taken with the Fisheye lens and some with the 12-50. Here a little advice, when you use the Nauticam Port for the 12-50 PLEASE check before the first Dive if the knob that switches from Makro to Zoom is really tight. I had this problem and 2x a little water in the Housing before i find out where the leaking was.

    The Drop Art shots are taken with the 60 macro.

     

    cheers,

    Conny

    .

  15. Hi OM-D enhusiasts!

    I did the switch to this very nice camera in Nauticam housing a few weeks ago, and I was using before a Hugyfot D7000 housing with 45 degrees Inon viewfinder (by the way the housing and some lenses/ports are still on sale!).
    I like many things with my new setup. Especially, I have been impressed with the AF speed on the 60mm lens (seems as fast as my 60mm Nikon on D7000).

    Inability to shoot from an angle
    However, I have one disappointment: I really like the ability to shoot from an angle (hence the 45 degrees viewfinder on my previous housing), and I thought I would get a 15 degrees angle since the camera screen is slightly angled up inside the Nauti housing. However, I found that I couldn't really use that 15 degrees angle because:
    -the standard viewfinder of the housing obstructs a bit your vision.
    -the back window of the housing quickly starts reflecting outside light when you lift up your head: you cannot see through it. I think this happens partly because the back window is not angled.

    How to get the shooting angle ability back?
    The obvious solution would be to get the existing Nauticam 45 degrees viewfinder.
    -Pros: it seems like a very good angled viewfinder
    -Cons: a pricey item
    -Cons makes the rig more bulky
    -Cons: I am loosing the ability to frame my pictures via a very large, comfortable display: the camera's back LCD, and getting back to the smaller display of a DSLR viewfinder!

    Optional angled housing back?
    I guess a better solution for my need would be that Nauticam produces an optional housing back, that integrates an angled window (15 degrees, or even 30 or 45 degrees => with an updated camera tray to support that angle), without a viewfinder (use case is to shoot via the big LCD screen, so let's save on the viewfinder/make the display clearer!).
    What do you think about the feasibility/interest of such an optional housing back? I don't know if Nauticam read this forum, maybe I will just drop them an email.

    I think some experienced DSLR photographers are just happy with the 45 degres optical viewfinder, but I am thinking a bunch of people could be interested in such an accessory, especially those upgrading from point & shoot. Furthermore, several housing brands now offer housings for external LCD monitors, so there's a market for that, and I am just suggesting a more efficient solution: take advantage of the in-camera LCD monitor.

    WDYT?
    cheers
    Nicolas

  16. Nice stuff Conny, I see that you stopped by Taipei too! I am in Taipei now and hopefully can make it to Pulau soon too.

     

    Hi guys,

    as promised here are the new pics from Palau and some Drop Art Shots in the Folder 2013 http://marine-snapshots.com/galleries.php

    Most of the Palau Photos are taken with the Fisheye lens and some with the 12-50. Here a little advice, when you use the Nauticam Port for the 12-50 PLEASE check before the first Dive if the knob that switches from Makro to Zoom is really tight. I had this problem and 2x a little water in the Housing before i find out where the leaking was.

    The Drop Art shots are taken with the 60 macro.

     

    cheers,

    Conny

    .

  17. WDYT?

    cheers

    Nicolas

     

    How about a mirror and lots of duct tape? :)

  18.  

    How about a mirror and lots of duct tape? :)

    The image would appear upside down, and I'm not smart enough to frame a picture that way ;)

     

     

    WDYT?

    cheers

    Nicolas

     

    Maybe they'll make one of these to fit the OM-D housing?

     

    http://wetpixel.com/articles/nauticam-releases-lcd-magnifier-and-sunscreen

     

     

    Yeah I saw that one but:

    -I don't think it can fit the OM-D housing back (due to the partial obstruction of the viewfinder), though I may be wrong.

    -It still gives you a smaller viewing area, wereas I imagine it cannot rotate (unlike the angled viewfinder), it's only advantage would be the price.

     

    cheers

    Nicolas

  19. I've discovered the downside of just having the single 12-50mm lens and port. On my recent trip to the Red Sea I set up my kit on the first night, test shots done and no problems.

     

    Come the next morning I turn the camera on and get a "Check the status of your lens" error message. Taking the camera out of the housing I can hear a grinding noise from the inside of the lens.

    So it's back to Olympus to see if they will fix under warranty. Gutted though to lose the chance to use my kit!

     

    Although, if I had been using the camera I might have missed the Whale Shark that I saw at the jetty on Daedalus reef...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.