Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 779Posts
  • 779Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus OM-D E-M5

779 posts
  1. Hi Phil & Bob,

     

    Thanks for the input - I have looked at the chart on Nauticam's website - but I would like to only buy one port if possible as I travel with my camera and want to keep it lite as possible not to mention the cost. Since I live in MN there isn't any way to 'rent' and try lens so I am trying to find out what ports others have tried with the two lenses.

     

    Thanks,

    Audrey

     

    One port - multiple (wide angle) lenses: Everybody has that wish - but you cannot cheat the physical laws!

     

    I use the 8mm Panasonic fisheye with the 3.5'' port. For me (!) it works perfect. The full pic has benn auto-corrected with Irfan View, the other pic is an unprocessed 100% crop of the lower right corner from the original RAW file (which I cannot attach, so it is jpg with highest quality setting).

     

    Greetings, Jock

    post-5673-0-78960300-1371671134_thumb.jpg

    post-5673-0-88017900-1371671381_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Jock
  2. If you're going to limit yourself to one port, an option would be to use prime lenses in the 4.33" dome port. The 8mm FE, 12mm, 45mm, and

    sigma 19mm all work in that port. No zoom gears or port extensions to fuss with. The downside is you are stuck with one focal length for the dive.

     

    cheers

    Jon

  3. I know how you feel, but...

     

    If you really, really need to stick with one port, and your prime interest is wide angle, then I would opt for either the 8mm fisheye in the 3.5 or 4.33 port, or the 7-14 in the 6" port. Of course you could also use just stick with the lens you have and the 4" port. The advantage to that would be that you could also use the 12-50 lens in that port, but then there is a fair bit of overlap in those lenses. I think this option is quite a compromise.

     

    By the time you add up housing, tray, arms, strobes and so on, one more small port and small lens is not that much more space.

     

    Since you already have the 9-18 and presumably like it, and because of $$ issues, and assuming your main interest is wide angle, I would suggest you add the 3.5" dome for the 8mm. It and the lens are both pretty small, very light and as ports go,the 3.5" is relatively inexpensive. If space is a big issue you could pretty much put the 9-18 and the 8mm in padded pouches in a couple coat pockets and then just pack the housing and port and other stuff.

     

    Alternatively, as was already suggested, you can go with the 4.3 dome and the 8mm fisheye and 12mm rectilinear. Both excellent lenses, but not as flexible as a zoom.

     

    ps: I don't believe Nauticam lists the 45mm as working properly in the 4.33 port, but I have no personal knowledge of that combo.

  4. If you wondered why my footer still lists the Canon 20D and Ikelite housing after all the talk about my OM-D setup, then perhaps you can help me. I updated the equipment section of my profile after I received my new system a few months ago, but my posts still show the old information. The profile does show the correct info for the new setup. I asked this question a while ago in the "contact us" page of wetpixel but without reply, so hopefully one of you or a moderator can tell me how to get this to work.

     

    Bart

  5. Hi Bart,

    Try going to "My Settings" on the profile page and update the "Signature" (third down). That should work.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  6. I have not used it so cannot comment, but I am curious..in what way have you been unhappy with the Nauticam dome?

  7. Glee,

     

    I have the ZEN Underwater 170mm port and I have tested it with the Nauticam EM5 and NEX5r housings and a verity of lenses. I will have a full review of the port in the next issue of UWPMAG.com in July. I used the 20mm port extension with the Panasonic 7-14 zoom.

     

    I have posted some thoughts and a few photos on Scubaboard in a thread in the Olympus forum.

     

    Phil Rudin

  8. Nauticam Macro Port Lens Caps---Looose!

     

    I have just purchased an O-M5 with a Nauticam housing. The macro ports come with these lens caps that keep falling off. I haven't even taken them diving yet, but the I'm afraid to take them on the boat because the port glass would be unprotected. Moving down from a Subal ND20, I'm a little miffed about this. Does anyone have any ideas or leads to other port covers for the 12-50 and 65 mm ports?

  9. The Nauticam cap is for storage only. I use a beer can cozy cut down to cover the macro and 12-50 ports.

  10. I use a neoprene bag that I had with my Inon wide angle.

  11. Probably all the ways that I con myself to believe by spending more money I can solve all my bad over/under problems :) It's psychological I admit.

     

    Thanks Phil, I look forward to seeing your review (and I will go search on Scubaboard.)

     

    I have not used it so cannot comment, but I am curious..in what way have you been unhappy with the Nauticam dome?

  12. Lost mine when I got knocked around on the rocks coming out of a shore dive. I too use an alternative now. Replacement is too expensive...

     

    Nauticam Macro Port Lens Caps---Looose!

     

    I have just purchased an O-M5 with a Nauticam housing. The macro ports come with these lens caps that keep falling off. I haven't even taken them diving yet, but the I'm afraid to take them on the boat because the port glass would be unprotected. Moving down from a Subal ND20, I'm a little miffed about this. Does anyone have any ideas or leads to other port covers for the 12-50 and 65 mm ports?

  13. Glee,

     

    I think it is clear that the bigger the port the better the split images. I do however see an upside for glass over acrylic in O/U shooting and that seemed to be clear to me with this port. You could in theory get the ZEN Subal type III port adapter for the NA-EM5 housing and go with a 230mm port but I think this would be overkill. I am happy with the O/U shots from this port with the 7-14 and the Olympus 12mm F/2. The big upside to this port over the Nauticam port for the 7-14 is that it will work with more lenses and takes up less space packing for travel. This is because you can add a 20mm port extension for 7-14, 12-35, 9-18 and shoot without the extension for lenses like the 12mm and other non-zoom lenses. BE AWARE THIS PORT DOES NOT WORK WITH THE 8MM FISHEYE. The port also works well in NEX housings with lenses like the 10-18 zoom (with extension) and the 16mm with W/A and Fisheye adapters.

    Also be aware that the ZOOM GEAR from Nauticam DOES NOT fit into this port and a gear is yet to be developed so I used the 10-18 set to 10mm prior to diving.

     

    Since both the Nauticam six inch dome and the Zen 170 dome are about the same size their is little difference in image quality in the corners. I find both ports to be more than adequate in this area at 7mm, 114 degrees when you consider results from full frame lenses like the 14-24 at the same 114 degrees behind nine+ inch ports.

     

    Phil Rudin

  14. Hi Bart,

    Try going to "My Settings" on the profile page and update the "Signature" (third down). That should work.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Thanks Steve, just did and in a few seconds I will find out if it worked.

     

    Bart

  15. Phil, I use the 7-14mm so you are saying the Nauticam zoom gear for 7-14 also doesn't fit into this port? Many thanks.

     

     

    ...

    Also be aware that the ZOOM GEAR from Nauticam DOES NOT fit into this port and a gear is yet to be developed so I used the 10-18 set to 10mm prior to diving.

    ...
  16. No that is NOT what I am saying. The 7-14 gear works just fine in the 170mm port but the Sony 10-18 lens is so fat that with the gear it will not fit into the port. Same for the Ziess 12 mm for the Sony NEX cameras it is about 82mm across and the port opening is only about 72mm. The Olympus 12mm fits well and works great without adding the extension.

  17. Nauticam Macro Port Lens Caps---Looose!

     

    I have just purchased an O-M5 with a Nauticam housing. The macro ports come with these lens caps that keep falling off. I haven't even taken them diving yet, but the I'm afraid to take them on the boat because the port glass would be unprotected. Moving down from a Subal ND20, I'm a little miffed about this. Does anyone have any ideas or leads to other port covers for the 12-50 and 65 mm ports?

     

    Just by a 67mm lens cap for your port and attach it to the housing - it works well and I just used the cord that came with the lens cap and tied it through the small silver rods on the bottom of the side of the housing. This way it stays with the housing and when under water I just wrap it around the try (the cord) to keep t out of the way.

     

    Karl

  18. Also keep in mind that most of use will add a flip adapter for a closeup lens or direct mount the C/U lens to the port which will also protect the port.

  19. Also keep in mind that most of use will add a flip adapter for a closeup lens or direct mount the C/U lens to the port which will also protect the port.

    That's what I do on the 70 mm port (12-50 or 60 mm). Just have to remember to flip it open at the first of the dive :blush:

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.