Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 779Posts
  • 779Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus OM-D E-M5

779 posts
  1. Lucky you. I recall seeing at least 2 other people in this thread who had the same issue with the buttons popping off. The rubber contact cone losing traction is probably rare though, I haven't heard others having the same issue other than Narval above... I had another issue with the focus/zoom drive gear losing its pin so it was free turning without engaging the inner gear (that drives the zoom/focus gear). I was in the middle of a trip and had to temporarily fix it with tooth pick (which disintegrated soon after), a twist tie (wasn't staying on), and finally a plastic cable tie just forced in there and cut off both ends. All these happened within the first 3 months.

    I guess I am the really unlucky one, but I haven't had other issues for the last 6 months (~60 dives) now.

  2. Please note that my problem is not loss of contact with the mode dial but too much push!

     

    Incidentally I've found the problem playing with the mode dial. If you push it horizontally, there is some contact somewhere and the camera enters in iAuto mode. Aparently under pressure, the wheel of the housing is pushing too much the mode dial. I guess the rubber in the wheel of the housing is too thick.

     

    Not sure what to do now, changing the rubber can void the warranty of the housing...

  3. Not sure what to do now, changing the rubber can void the warranty of the housing...

     

     

    First of all, contact with the seller...

  4. Please note that my problem is not loss of contact with the mode dial but too much push!

     

    Incidentally I've found the problem playing with the mode dial. If you push it horizontally, there is some contact somewhere and the camera enters in iAuto mode. Aparently under pressure, the wheel of the housing is pushing too much the mode dial. I guess the rubber in the wheel of the housing is too thick.

     

    Not sure what to do now, changing the rubber can void the warranty of the housing...

    Basic check: You did remove the rubber eye cup on the view finder?

    Bob

  5. I have had my Nauticam housing for the E-M5 about a year with 100+ dives and no such problems, regarding mode changes or with the dials on my two cameras popping off.

     

    I have had students in some of my workshops that did not have the camera properly mounted onto the tray and/or did not have the tray and/or gear alignment correctly. You may want to check these areas as well. If this issue does not occur all of the time it could be the result of a misalignment.

     

    Phil Rudin

  6. Basic check: You did remove the rubber eye cup on the view finder?

    Bob

    Uh... I don't remove the eye cup! It is really necessary?

     

     

  7. I have had students in some of my workshops that did not have the camera properly mounted onto the tray and/or did not have the tray and/or gear alignment correctly. You may want to check these areas as well. If this issue does not occur all of the time it could be the result of a misalignment.

     

    I really thinks that I mount the camera correctly but will check again just in case.

     

    The problem appears only while diving, not before or after, when I surface. I really can see the wheel making contact with the dial looking through the back window of the housing. Is not loss of contact for sure.

     

    If you press horizontally the mode dial of a OMD, the camera enters on iAuto mode so seems like the mode wheel of the housing is pressing too much when the pressure increase.

     

    I think that the housing needs a little adjustement.

     

  8. I don't think i've seen this port mentioned yet, but it's another 3rd party option (for the Panasonic 8mm FE and presumably the Olympus 12mm):

    http://www.fun-in.com.tw/oc/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1433

    I can't comment further on this as i have not seen it, let alone used it. From the photos, it looks very much like the 4.33" Nauticam acrylic dome.

     

    Phil Rudin has covered many of the other 3rd party port options in a number of earlier posts in this topic. e.g.:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46536&p=327325

    Edited by coroander
  9. Uh... I don't remove the eye cup! It is really necessary?

    Don't rely on me, but check the installation manual. I believe it calls for removing the rubber eye cup. This could cause a slight pressure moving your camera forward or slightly misaligned.

    Bob

  10. Ha, maybe! I have to try it next time if I experienced the same.

     

     

    Don't rely on me, but check the installation manual. I believe it calls for removing the rubber eye cup. This could cause a slight pressure moving your camera forward or slightly misaligned.

    Bob

  11. I haven’t encountered the issue of the iA either and we have sold many housings. The mode cap coming off I have seen before, same on the EPL5.

     

    Your dealer should be able to help you with the first issue.

  12. Agree with Bob about removing the rubber viewfinder cap on all cameras used in a housing. It caused some even bigger problems with some of the older Olympus housings.

  13. Yesterday I've mounted the camera without the eye cup, but the problem persisted.

     

    I've contacted with the seller and I'm awaiting a solution now. The good news is that they seems very optimistic about the quality of Nauticam support.

     

    Thanks for the comments!

    Edited by Narval
  14. I have been looking at this on my own OMD camera and when I push the mode dial in any direction, I do not get iA. I think it may be possible that your camera may be faulty.

     

    Can other OMD owners please also test with their own cameras? If you push the mode dial horizontally, does the camera go into iA mode?

  15. Sorry, no, I can't - my Mode button came off!

     

    But since it is still under warranty I will send it back to Olympus. I also think it might be a camera problem. Strange enough anyhow...

     

    Jock

  16. When I am using the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing underwater I am in the manual mode most of the time but I do change the mode from time to time. Using my left thumb I am rotating the mode dial clockwise and it will go through the entire range of modes including the iA mode. Most of the time I am moving from manual to aperture priority for some A/V light shots but have taken to trying out the ART filters on several dives switching between manual and art.

     

    Attached is an ART filter shot taken with the Key Lime art filter.

     

    Phil Rudin

    post-2618-0-08579400-1375711133_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  17. I have been looking at this on my own OMD camera and when I push the mode dial in any direction, I do not get iA. I think it may be possible that your camera may be faulty.

     

    Can other OMD owners please also test with their own cameras? If you push the mode dial horizontally, does the camera go into iA mode?

     

    Since my camera has the infamous small cracking on the LCD, I'm sending my camera to the Olympus service to change the LCD and to test the mode dial too.

     

    I think you are correct, perhaps my camera is the problem and not the Nauticam housing!

     

    Thanks, I'll post here the outcome of this strange problem.

    Edited by Narval
  18. Attached is an ART filter shot taken with the Key Lime art filter.

     

    Nice!! You can also apply this Key Line filter to any raw image by opening it in Olympus Viewer 3 on a computer, clicking the RAW tab, and then setting Art Filter to Key Line.

  19. I'm going to buy the Panasonic 8mm FE for my OM-D. Now I'm not sure about what dome to buy: the 4.33 or the 3.5 from Nauticam. I'm not sure about the size of the 4.33. I really want to keep my rig compact. And therefore, the 3.5 seems quite adequate.

    Could anyone please post (or send) a picture of the NA-EM5 with the 3.5 and with the 4.33. I didn't find some on the internet...And my dealer is some hours away. Would be great to see some pics and not driving hours just to see/compare the sizes.

    Thanks!

  20. Page #16 of this thread has photos of both domes and some sample images.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.