Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Vacuum leak detector question

Started by Draq ·

  • 173Posts
  • 173Replies

Read-only discussion

Vacuum leak detector question

173 posts
  1. Define hugely incorrect please?

    In general terms means there will be some specific situations that it could fog but that depends on what those are.

     

    Edited: Admin

    Edited by adamhanlon — Not related to topic-personal attack
  2. Obviously this needs some extensive testing. I suggest we send a dedicated and unbiased researcher (that would be me) to the Caribbean for a grueling two-week regimen of test dives. I will thoroughly document the testing process and advise you of the results upon my return home. In regard to funding this research, please send a PM and I will send you my paypal address.

     

    Now about this Scotch Mist; does adding lemon peel to a nice whisky really create an enjoyable beverage? I have my doubts but could probably experiment with that as well during the above two-week research project. No additional funding would be required for this. Plus, I could watch for condensation on my glass as I go from an air-conditioned room to the patio and supplement the fogging data.

  3. given water temperature. In your scenario, if the water temp was 22c, there would be no possibility of condensation no?

     

    Correct, If the water temperature is not low enough to cause the housing wall to drop to the dew point (18°C in the example) then condensate will not form.

     

    In response to Draq's comment, I think there may be a substance called Berrrr-bonne (sp?) manufactured by a Mr. Daniels in Kentucky that will cause you to not care about condensation. :)

    Edited by diverdoug1
  4. Obviously this needs some extensive testing. I suggest we send a dedicated and unbiased researcher (that would be me) to the Caribbean for a grueling two-week regimen of test dives. I will thoroughly document the testing process and advise you of the results upon my return home. In regard to funding this research, please send a PM and I will send you my paypal address.

     

    Now about this Scotch Mist; does adding lemon peel to a nice whisky really create an enjoyable beverage? I have my doubts but could probably experiment with that as well during the above two-week research project. No additional funding would be required for this. Plus, I could watch for condensation on my glass as I go from an air-conditioned room to the patio and supplement the fogging data.

    Can't help with funding, but I'm very happy to supply a pressure cooker (possibly a head to put in it to check for results ;)), along with a small tub of water, some ice cubes and a copy of Nuffield A-level Physics test book (1987 edition), all obviously essential elements for your tests :D
  5. :deadhorse:

  6. :antitroll:

  7. removed

    Edited by Interceptor121
  8. Post removed.

    Edited by Stuart Keasley
  9. Actually made me think that vacuum may actually increase the humidity in the housing

     

    Example: housing with 100 grams of air 2 grams of moisture in the air 0.5 grams of moisture trapped in the camera. Moisture/Air 2.5/100=2.5%

     

    Create vacuum -200 mbar 80 grams of air 1.6 grams of moisture in the air 0.5 grams of moisture trapped in the camera. Moisture/Air 2.1/80=2.625%

     

    I would say that is not possible to draw any conclusions on the effect of vacuum as the amount of moisture in the camera is unknown but certainly not zero so things could actually get worse with more vacuum

    Edited by Interceptor121
  10. Post removed.

    Edited by Stuart Keasley
  11. I don't think you can assume zero moisture in it though even if you don't have water

    A camera will tend to attract moisture like anything else and once warm this moisture will release in the housing increasing humidity this may be a much more prevailing effect than removing the gas from the housing

     

    This also reconciles the housing in the sun scenario with subsequent fogging

     

    Generally it is impossible to determine the effect of vacuum in terms of condensation as the moisture in the camera is unknown. There could or not be a benefit depending on the temperature of the air, the air relative humidity and how those interact but this could or not improve matters

     

    In essence I would say that camera and housing preparation for what I am concerned stay the same and keep hoping for the best!!!

    Edited by Interceptor121
  12. :sleepbig:

  13. Doug and I have sorted out our different views and come up with a number of positive suggestions elsewhere.

     

    I would like to apologise that this got out of control, it is silly that two people passionate about something end up arguing really unexcusable

     

    Anyway thanks to Doug and some other I have a complete understanding of some tricky fogging situations that occurred in the past and I will post some of those tips at some point

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.