It depends on which Olympus 14-42 lens you have, type I or type II and even more if you have a Panasonic 14-42 lens.
I don't see a big upside for the flat port with the 14-42 lens and would go for the flat port when you get a true macro lens like the Olympus 60mm or Panasonic 45mm
At the moment I have the new olympus 14-42mm pancake lens (kit lens and came with the camera). I'm currently waiting for the port/gearing to come out for this at the moment. I'm hoping that it will be compatible with the 4" dome to minimize the number of ports I need to buy!
The current 4" semi-dome sits too far forward, i'm hoping Nauticam comes out with a shorter 4" semi-dome that can be used with a variety of lenses, like this lens and the 12mm by using extensions. Currently the port choices for the 12mm and other physically short lenses are less than ideal. However, i'm afraid Nauticam will just use make the only option a flat port for this lens and leave the current status quo for others.
Does anyone here who has the Nauticam Flexitray housing know the height of the handles, and width of the standard tray please (with/without ball joints please) in mm?
Coroander,
Nauticam already has a 4.33 inch dome that works very well with the Olympus 8mm fisheye, 12mm F/2, 17mm F/1.8 and other pancake type lenses, also with the Panasonic 14mm and 14-42mm with a 30 extension. If you are interested in buying extensions I am sure some combination of the 20mm extensions and/or 30mm extensions would get you the same results you are getting from the 4" dome.
I have the 4.33" dome. I really like it with the 8mm, but it's not the perfect optical solution for the 12mm due to the extreme curvature of the 4.33" dome. The 4" semi-dome is just a smaller portion of the 6" semi-dome used for the 7-14mm. This flatter dome would be ideal for lenses like the 12mm, 14mm and 17mm lenses, except it's stuck way too far forward to deal with the massive extension of the 9-18mm lens. What's really needed is a shorter 4" semi-dome. This would be the perfect semi-dome for the the 12mm, 14mm, 17mm plus with extensions a wide variety of other lenses, including the 9-18mm, and any number of the standard zooms, 12-35mm, 14-42mm, etc. The stunning performance of the 9-18mm with a +2 diopter behind the 4" semi-dome, needs to be replicated for these primes plus offer greater flexibility by using extensions.
Nauticam already has a 4.33 inch dome that works very well with the Olympus 8mm fisheye, 12mm F/2, 17mm F/1.8 and other pancake type lenses, also with the Panasonic 14mm and 14-42mm with a 30 extension. If you are interested in buying extensions I am sure some combination of the 20mm extensions and/or 30mm extensions would get you the same results you are getting from the 4" dome.
Phil,
Could the EM-10 and 8mm behind the 4.33 inch dome get me back closer to the type of shots I was taking with my old Nikon D70 and 10.5mm fisheye? is the quality of the em-10 equal to the NEX-7? Would the em-10 and Nauticam make a good choice for CFWA? It would be nice if Barbara and I could get back to sharing ports and lenses. Great time in Cozumel.
TedJ
Now that the camera's arrived, I'm currently trying to figure out what purchases i should make first (apart from the housing obviously!). One thing I'm considering is one that Coroander mentioned in the EM-5 thread - rather than use a twin handle tray configuration, use just try and left hand arm, then use a ball mount on the camera housing for the second arm/strobe. I feel this could be better for me, as I always felt my hand was a bit restricted when using a twin handle arrangement in my compact rig.
Also if I decide to go this route, would it better to get the Easitray, rather than the Flexitray ?
Thoughts?
Hi Ted,
The E-M10 and Panasonic 8mm fisheye behind the Nauticam 4.33" dome or the ZEN 100mm dome will give you great CFWA. The lens will focus to the port glass and give the same type of results as with your D70 not withstanding the differences in format, (4:3 v. 3:2).
Small difference in overall image quality due to the greater resolution of the NEX-7 and NEX-7 will have better video quality. For the price of the system the E-M10 is an excellent value to me with excellent image quality.
Attachment is Panasonic 8mm fisheye with ZEN 100mm dome focused within an inch of the dome.
Do i need the adapter (mmf-3?) to use the 8mm fisheye on the eM-1 or EM-10?
TedJ
You would need an adapter to use the Olympus 8mm on an E-M1. I assume, but do not know, that the adapter and lens would also work on the E-M10, but the focusing speed would be less than ideal. If you mean the Panasonic 8mm, as used in Phil's photo above, it is a micro 4/3 lens and no adapter is needed and it would work beautifully on either camera.
Do i need the adapter (mmf-3?) to use the 8mm fisheye on the eM-1 or EM-10?
TedJ
You would need an adapter to use the Olympus 8mm on an E-M1. I assume, but do not know, that the adapter and lens would also work on the E-M10, but the focusing speed would be less than ideal. If you mean the Panasonic 8mm, as used in Phil's photo above, it is a micro 4/3 lens and no adapter is needed and it would work beautifully on either camera.
Thanks very much!
MMF-3 is an adapter to mount 4/3 lenses from the older Olympus DSLR cameras to the current M4/3 mirrorless cameras. So the old Olympus 8mm fisheye for the DSLR system needs the adapter. The Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens is a native M43 lens and will mount directly to all Olympus mirrorless cameras and all Panasonic m43 mirrorless cameras.
Who is displaying this housing/camera at the Long Beach show?
Tom
I believe you will find at least three Nauticam venders at the Long Beach show.
MMF-3 is an adapter to mount 4/3 lenses from the older Olympus DSLR cameras to the current M4/3 mirrorless cameras. So the old Olympus 8mm fisheye for the DSLR system needs the adapter. The Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens is a native M43 lens and will mount directly to all Olympus mirrorless cameras and all Panasonic m43 mirrorless cameras.
Which dome would work with the old Oly 8mm lens and adapter? I have the lens, but not the adapter. Or should I sell the lens and buy the Panasonic?
I have also seen a listing on B&H for a new Olympus 7-14mm Pro lens, but no price yet. Think that would be a better solution???
I'm not in any hurry.
TedJ
With your old Olympus 8mm fisheye lens you need the lens the MMF-3 adapter and for a Nauticam housing you need the Olympus threaded port adapter to Nauticam housing and the threaded Olympus/Athena 170mm port or the Inon fisheye port with the port adapter.
If it were me I would just start over with all M43 lenses. A new Panasonic 8mm is around $650.00. The new M43 Olympus 7-14mm zoom should be released in the next six months. The rumor mill is saying that it will be a $1795.00 lens like the old DSLR 7-14 lens. I think it will come in lower than that but that for a few reasons but that is just a guess. These lenses will use different ports with the 8mm being cheaper and not needing a zoom gear.
I use the Panasonic 7-14 much more than the 8mm but I like both equally well. I will consider replacing the Pany. 7-14 with the Olympus after I have had a chance to see some reviews on this new lens.
Thanks Phil,
I think I'm going to buy the EM-10 and the Panasonic 7-14 and sell the old Oly 8mm along with my NEX-7 and Barbara's old NEX-5n. Then there's the Nikon D70 and Subal housing to go too!
Not to mention a Nikon D600 and D7000.
The new powerzoom 14-42 is being evaluated and it is expected that a gear and port will be forthcoming.
hello did you have news of the evaluation of the 14-42 ?
thanks
In progress, let me find out where they are with it.