Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Decided on a new micro 4/3 setup now need help deciding on which camera?

Started by kstokell ·

  • 104Posts
  • 104Replies

Read-only discussion

Decided on a new micro 4/3 setup now need help deciding on which camera?

104 posts
  1. If you use the camera and lenses above water also, I would go for the 7-14. I use mine all the time when taking pictures around top side and have just purchased the Nauticam 6" dome for it for underwater and the 4.3" dome and 20mm extension for my Olympus 8mm Pro.

  2. If you are looking at the 7-14mm and a dome, please consider (again) the 14-42mm plus the WWL. You get better image quality, massive more flexiblity and all about the same size / weight. Plus add the CMC you in theory could get rid of the 60mm.

     

    All the lenses you mention, Ive had underwater and I've gone full circle to the 14-42 with the WWL and CMC.

    Still have the others, but in the process of selling off.

     

    Surely, the Olympus 8 mm f1.8 fisheye will be better in low light than the 14-42 and WWL?

  3. Get the vacuum port for the Nauticam housing; the comfort level provided by a little green light is amazing.

     

    I'm also looking at using my 12-50 with a WWL on a flip mount. Unless I'm doing a pure muck/macro dive, I'm not happy with the constraint of a dedicated macro setup, as good as the 60mm is. Equally, I'm not happy with the constraint of a no-macro dive, so see the WWL as my only solution rather than a dedicated WA lens/port.

  4.  

    Surely, the Olympus 8 mm f1.8 fisheye will be better in low light than the 14-42 and WWL?

    Yes the 8mm f1.8 will blow the 14-42mm away in terms of low light. But the OP wants a 'general purpose / wide angle' lens. Hence why I haven't recommend either of the 8mm's.

     

    I think all the suggestions here and the lenses come down to where does he want to compromise on. Size, weight, optical quality, range etc.

     

    It's a shame the 9-18mm is so soft behind a dome, as if I'm honest that's probably the closest lens to what he wants out of all this. (Cost, weight, range).

     

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Yes the 8mm f1.8 will blow the 14-42mm away in terms of low light. But the OP wants a 'general purpose / wide angle' lens. Hence why I haven't recommend either of the 8mm's.

     

    I think all the suggestions here and the lenses come down to where does he want to compromise on. Size, weight, optical quality, range etc.

     

    It's a shame the 9-18mm is so soft behind a dome, as if I'm honest that's probably the closest lens to what he wants out of all this. (Cost, weight, range).

     

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    You hit the nail right on the head "thetrickster", the 9-18mm does seem to be the lens that would fit me best, and as wide angle shooting only comprises about 15% of my total underwater shooting (85% is macro), I'm thinking although it is "soft behind a dome" it may be sufficient for my needs. Does anyone have any comparison shots between the 7-14 and 9-18, or examples of the 9-18 so I can judge this softness?

     

    I've just received quotes from a shop in the US, and the complete rig with the 9-18mm is $900 cheaper than with the 7-14mm option. This, and the fact that the 9-18 is slightly wider, are pulling me in the 9-18 direction.

     

    I did consider the WWL option combined with the CMC on the 12-50 Olympus lens (with the 42mm macro mode), but the quality was definitely not there in macro mode, which as previously stated makes up the large proportion of my underwater photography. Also I heard that the WWL, even when fitted with the Nauticam bayonet connection, was not easy to remove during a dive, which if true rather negates the purpose of the lens, if anyone has experience of switching this lens underwater, it would be interesting to get feedback on this?

     

    So to sum up, I think that unless anyone else has any other suggestions, like a zoom fisheye for micro 4/3, similar to the Tokina 10-17mm which is for Canon APS-C, or I see some pictures that really show what I would consider really "soft" shots, I think it is going to be the 9-18mm for me.

     

    After all I do live in Curacao and do most of my diving there or in Bonaire, so apart from the occasional turtles, sharks, rays and the odd wreck dive now and then, wide angle is of secondary importance for me.

     

    Thanks for everyone's input, it has really helped me in moving on from my RX100 setup and choosing my next underwater rig!

     

    Below is a full list of what I will probably be ordering, if anyone has any advice on things that I may need in addition to this list, or things that can be changed for a better overall solution please let me know?

     

    Thanks again, Kevin

     

    Nauticam NA-EM5II Housing for Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Camera
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Camera Body, Black
    Nauticam 45 Degree Viewfinder for MIL Housings
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom Lens
    Nauticam 4” Wide Angle Port For Mirrorless Camera Housings
    Olympus MSC ED M.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8, Black
    Nauticam Macro Port 65 for 60mm F2.8 Macro Lens
    Nauticam Compact Macro Converter 1 (CMC-1)
    Saga Dive Flip Lens Holder 67mm
    2 x Sea and Sea YS-D2 Strobe
    2 x Nauticam Sea & Sea -> Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable
    Nauticam M16 Vacuum Valve
    Nauticam Flexitray II With Left Handle
    2 x Nauticam Carbon Fiber Float Arm 200mm x 60mm / 8 In. x 2.4 In.
    2 x Nauticam Multi-Purpose Clamp With Shackle
    2 x Nauticam 125mm / 5 Inch Double Ball Arm Segment
    Nauticam Adjustable Right Handle II for Easitray II & Flexitray II
    Nauticam 1 Inch Strobe Mounting Ball for Cold Shoe
    Nauticam 18cm / 7 Inch Lanyard With 2 Snap Hooks
    5 x Nauticam Clamp for all 1 Inch ball arm systems
    2 x Nauticam 1 inch Base Ball for Easitray and Flexitray
    2 x Maha Powerex 2400mAh Imedion Rechargeable AA Batteries w/case
    Maha Powerex MH-C801D Eight Cell - 1hr. Charger for AA / AAA 79.95
    Edited by kstokell
  6. I presume you have read this review: http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/node/668- They seem pretty happy with the 9-18mm

     

    I sold my 9-18mm many years ago, so can't do a side by side for you.

     

    If you go with the 9-18mm - don't forget to add the 'Nauticam 36144 Zoom Gear' for the 9-18mm lens.

  7. To confuse you further, if you considered the E-M1? The Nauticam housing for the E-M1 comes already with handles/ tray etc - so might work out around the same price.

  8. To confuse you further, if you considered the E-M1? The Nauticam housing for the E-M1 comes already with handles/ tray etc - so might work out around the same price.

     

    I did look at the E-M1, and ideally if the release timeline for its replacement had aligned with my purchase date I would have probably gone with that. Both the EM5 mk2 and EM1 seem to be pretty much the same apart from a few pro's and con's for both systems, none of which really effect how I intend to use the system (apart maybe for strobe sync time being slower on the EM5?), so I though I would go with the newer slightly smaller model (for surface use), rather than the old soon to be replaced model. I also looked at the EM10 mk2, and the GX8 as well, and nearly went for one of them, but in the end I settled on the EM5 mk2, as it seems the most popular (apart from maybe the EM1), which is always handy when you are trying to get tips on setup etc.

     

    Thanks for the heads up regarding the zoom gear for the 9-18, I've asked for it to be added to the list along with a focus gear for the 90mm, and the Nauticam Shutter Release Trigger.

     

    I have also asked if is it possible to mount the 9-18mm behind the 4.33 inch dome (NA36132) with an extension ring, as this would allow me to also buy the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens, either now or at some time in the future, if I think I need it.

     

    Now all I've got to do is get the best price I can, as the total is close to $10,000 :cry: !

     

    Thanks for all your help!

    Kevin

     

    PS. I saw the article and it was one of the reasons I choose to go with the 9-18!

    Edited by kstokell
  9.  

     

    You hit the nail right on the head "thetrickster", the 9-18mm does seem to be the lens that would fit me best, and as wide angle shooting only comprises about 15% of my total underwater shooting (85% is macro), I'm thinking although it is "soft behind a dome" it may be sufficient for my needs.

     

    Remember that the 9-18 also can be used in the 180 mm glas dome, with the optimum solution being the the 180 mm dome with the 47 mm adaptor and 20 mm extension.

     

    This is the "most optimized dome port" as stated in the port chart.

  10.  

    Remember that the 9-18 also can be used in the 180 mm glas dome, with the optimum solution being the the 180 mm dome with the 47 mm adaptor and 20 mm extension.

     

    This is the "most optimized dome port" as stated in the port chart

     

    The 180mm glass dome is a bit to big for me and also costs much more! But you are correct it seems the 9-18mm behind the 4.33 inch dome will suffer from too much distortion due to excessive curvature, and the larger dome is the only solution for both the 9-18 and 8mm behind the same glass.

     

    So I think I'll am going to stick with the 9-18 and 4" wide angle port, and if needed I'll buy the 8mm and 4.33 inch dome port at a later date :) !

  11. I have an EM1 and EM10 both in Nauticam (vacuum valves essential!) and I bought the EM1 with the 12-50 and 60mm macro lens as 80% of local dive sites are macro. The 12-50 fits snugly in the 65 macro port and you don't need a zoom gear as it can be assigned to the left and right buttons on the camera. You could use this with an Inon UWL 100 wet lens and the CMC which gives better magnification than the 43 macro mode. Don't waste money on the dedicated Nauticam port 77. The 60mm macro lens is my go to lens and can do small fish portraits too. I have the Oly 8mm and Pana 7-14 but have only just got ports for them to photograph the Grey Nurse sharks at Nelson Bay Australia. (Awesome dive with 20 to 40 sharks in one dive site!) The 8mm was too wide but good for video and the 7-14 was pretty good (my wife had that lens).

    I would start with the 12-50 as general and top side lens and the 60 macro lens if that's 85% of your dives. You could also mount the RX100 on top of the housing with its wet wide lens and you'll have best of both worlds.

    I also bought a Panasonic G7 for top side use for its 4K abilities and for 25fps in camera Timelapse videos (Oly only 5fps in 4K and only 10-15 fps in HD). If I was buying a set up now I would go for Oanasonic GX8 with Pana 45 or 30mm macro (both have IS for 4K macro video) Nauticam housing and use the 14-42 with an Inon wet lens for 100deg wide angle. Would come I a lot cheaper than the options you have now and you get the benefits of 4K that Olympus steadfastly refuse to fit to their new cameras i.e. The Pen F which is more expensive than the Panas and also EM5 and EM1!!

  12. I do not think the CMC will work with the Saga flip. Something about the mounting pins for the diopter being different. You might want to check on that before you buy the Saga? I think I'd just stick with the Nauticam flip made for the 67mm port 65.

  13. Dear Kevin,

     

     

    Just to confuse you even further, I choose the following options for the EM-10 in a Nauticam housing:

     

    Nauticam 4" wide angle port for the following lenses:

    - Oly 9-18mm with nauticam zoom ring and a +2 diopter for better corner sharpness

    - Oly 60mm (no need for zoom gear as AF is fast and reliable). No corner distortion with this lens and wide-angle port. I also made a DIY flip diopter holder for the CMC for about $10. But Nauticam also sells a flip diopter holder for this port for about $400.

     

    eventually, I added the following:

     

    Nauticam 4.33" dome for for a Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye lens. I use the zoom gear for the 9-18mm lens to manual focus the lens. But, aperture is set pre-dive. Thus, I can only adjust with SS and ISO during the dive.

     

    Had a very limited budget but I find this set-up adequate for most shooting conditions (fisheye, wide angle and macro).

     

    Hope this helps.

     

    Happy shopping!

     

     

    Mike

  14. Nauticam's flip diopter holder for the Port 65 costs $260. The Nauticam CMC is designed for use with this diopter holder and the Port 65. Making sure you have correct information.

  15. I looked at the idea of putting both the 9-18mm and 60mm behind the same 4" wide angle port, but the price of the flip holder is the same price as the 60mm port, plus the 4" wide angle port is larger and I do like the manual focus option.

     

    To save a little money I am thinking of not bothering with the flip holder for the 60mm, and just keeping the CMC-1 in my pocket or on a lens holder, I can't see that it would be too much trouble to screw on underwater, and it won't get in the way when not in use, does anyone else do it that way?

     

    Another couple of quick question for you guys, I have requested two "Nauticam Carbon Fiber Float Arms (60mm x 200mm)" to hopefully make the rig more or less neutral in the water, being carbon fiber are these float arms fragile, and if so is there a better solution, also is this enough flotation or will I need more?

     

    I'm getting there slowly not long now!

    Edited by kstokell
  16. I have an EM1 and EM10 both in Nauticam (vacuum valves essential!) and I bought the EM1 with the 12-50 and 60mm macro lens as 80% of local dive sites are macro. The 12-50 fits snugly in the 65 macro port and you don't need a zoom gear as it can be assigned to the left and right buttons on the camera. You could use this with an Inon UWL 100 wet lens and the CMC which gives better magnification than the 43 macro mode. Don't waste money on the dedicated Nauticam port 77. The 60mm macro lens is my go to lens and can do small fish portraits too. I have the Oly 8mm and Pana 7-14 but have only just got ports for them to photograph the Grey Nurse sharks at Nelson Bay Australia. (Awesome dive with 20 to 40 sharks in one dive site!) The 8mm was too wide but good for video and the 7-14 was pretty good (my wife had that lens).

    I would start with the 12-50 as general and top side lens and the 60 macro lens if that's 85% of your dives. You could also mount the RX100 on top of the housing with its wet wide lens and you'll have best of both worlds.

    I also bought a Panasonic G7 for top side use for its 4K abilities and for 25fps in camera Timelapse videos (Oly only 5fps in 4K and only 10-15 fps in HD). If I was buying a set up now I would go for Oanasonic GX8 with Pana 45 or 30mm macro (both have IS for 4K macro video) Nauticam housing and use the 14-42 with an Inon wet lens for 100deg wide angle. Would come I a lot cheaper than the options you have now and you get the benefits of 4K that Olympus steadfastly refuse to fit to their new cameras i.e. The Pen F which is more expensive than the Panas and also EM5 and EM1!!

     

    Thanks for the feedback Griff I did consider the 12-50 but I judged that it would not be wide enough for me, that's I went for the 9-18 instead although it seems from feedback I've had it's a little soft in the corners. Like you, the majority of my dive sites, about 85%, are macro, so the wide angle option is of secondary importance to me.

     

    I'm a little confused about adding a +2 diopter to the 9-18mm to "sharpen the corners", I'm sure it will do this but at the cost of increasing the focal length and thus reducing max angle of view, which is not what I want, ideally I would like a slightly wider lens, not narrower. As it is the 9-18mm offers me a diagonal angle of view of 100° - 62° , I would have preferred the 114° - 75° offered by the 7-14mm Panasonic but that is more expensive and also requires a larger dome port, hence my choice of the 9-18mm.

    Edited by kstokell
  17. You'll enjoy the set up you plan to get. Too many people place too much emphasis on soft corners but if you plan to enhance the main subject by blurring the back ground then it does not matter anyway. The 60mm is a great lens and is close enough so I don't use my CMC a great deal. I mainly use it for shallow depth of field effect photos and occasional super macro.

  18. Another couple of quick question for you guys, I have requested two "Nauticam Carbon Fiber Float Arms (60mm x 200mm)" to hopefully make the rig more or less neutral in the water, being carbon fiber are these float arms fragile, and if so is there a better solution, also is this enough flotation or will I need more?

     

    I've got 2x 60x200mm and 2x 60x300mm for my GH4 rig and its perfect. However I wait my to be neutral. For stills you might want a little bit of neg to help with macro shots.

     

    The Nauticam carbon arms, I've been super happy with, had them a couple of years now and they hold up very well to the bashing they get. There were issues at the very beginning with them taking on water, but that has been resolved.

     

    I would recommend getting the shackle clamps to go on your arms, so you can clip them together with 120mm bolt snaps - makes carrying and keeping it all together on the boat so much easier - can post a photo to example.

     

    Glad you are getting your list slowly finalised ;)

  19.  

    I've got 2x 60x200mm and 2x 60x300mm for my GH4 rig and its perfect. However I wait my to be neutral. For stills you might want a little bit of neg to help with macro shots.

     

    The Nauticam carbon arms, I've been super happy with, had them a couple of years now and they hold up very well to the bashing they get. There were issues at the very beginning with them taking on water, but that has been resolved.

     

    I would recommend getting the shackle clamps to go on your arms, so you can clip them together with 120mm bolt snaps - makes carrying and keeping it all together on the boat so much easier - can post a photo to example.

     

    Glad you are getting your list slowly finalised ;)

     

    Can you post a photo of the shackle clamps and 120mm bolt, and perhaps a link to where I can get them?

     

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    Edited by kstokell
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.