Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Decided on a new micro 4/3 setup now need help deciding on which camera?

Started by kstokell ·

  • 104Posts
  • 104Replies

Read-only discussion

Decided on a new micro 4/3 setup now need help deciding on which camera?

104 posts
  1. I have two of the 200mmx90mm Nauticam carbon fiber arms to balance out my rig, which is a NA-EM10, 12-50mm lens and macro port, CMC-1 on a flip mount, two YS-D1s, a couple of focus/video lights, and tray/arms/clamps. I switched to the extra-long clamps between the float arms and the outer arms (also 200mm) so that they could collapse better for carrying. I use the shackle-clamps between the float arms and the tray balls, with a homemade braided paracord strap (with a clear plastic bit of PVC tubing over it) between the shackles for carrying. The damn thing is heavy out of the water!

  2. I have two of the 200mmx90mm Nauticam carbon fiber arms to balance out my rig, which is a NA-EM10, 12-50mm lens and macro port, CMC-1 on a flip mount, two YS-D1s, a couple of focus/video lights, and tray/arms/clamps. I switched to the extra-long clamps between the float arms and the outer arms (also 200mm) so that they could collapse better for carrying. I use the shackle-clamps between the float arms and the tray balls, with a homemade braided paracord strap (with a clear plastic bit of PVC tubing over it) between the shackles for carrying. The damn thing is heavy out of the water!

     

    Do you have a picture of the rig?

  3.  

    Can you post a photo of the shackle clamps and 120mm bolt, and perhaps a link to where I can get them?

    Here you go.

     

    post-43742-14560056227253.jpg

     

    post-43742-14560056768677.jpg

     

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. post-43742-14560058358125.jpg

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. So I've finally placed my order :B): ! Just wanted to thank everyone for all their input!

     

    I'm really excited about getting the new gear and I'm sure I will be back on this site requesting all sorts of help in how to get the best results out of it all.

     

    Here is the final list of what I ordered, just in case anyone else is thinking of doing a similar upgrade and needs an idea of what is required!

     

    By the way the total cost ended up at $7,641.24 :o !

     

    Thanks again to everyone and "I'll be back" :blum: !

     

    Kevin

     

    1 x Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Black, Body
    1 x Olympus Lens 60mm Macro M.Zuiko
    1 x Olympus Lens 9-18mm M.Zuiko
    1 x nau-17809 Nauticam Housing for Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Housing
    1 x nau-36163 Nauticam Macro Port 65 for Oly 60mm Macro
    1 x nau-36149 Nauticam Focus Gear for Olympus 60mm M.Zuiko
    1 x nau-36137 Nauticam 4" wide angle port for Oly 9-18 and Sony 18-55
    1 x nau-36143 Nauticam Zoom Gear for Olympus 14-42mm and 9-18mm Lens
    1 x nau-32205 Nauticam Mirrorless Viewfinder, 45°
    1 x nau-25612 Nauticam M16 Vacuum Valve
    2 x SS-03117 Sea&Sea YS-D2 Strobe
    2 x Fiber Optic Cable - Sea & Sea to Nauticam Housing
    1 x nau-71208 Nauticam Flexitray - Adjustable Right Handle II
    1 x nau-71207 Nauticam Flexitray II with Left Handle
    2 x nau-71311 Nauticam Mounting ball for Easitray/Flexitray
    1 x nau-25200 Nauticam Compact/MIL Housing Shutter Release Extension
    2 x nau-72203 Nauticam arm 5-inch
    2 x nau-72211 Nauticam Carbon Fiber Float Arm (60mm x 200mm)
    1 x nau-25311 Nauticam Ball Mount for Cold Shoe
    4 x nau-72501 Nauticam clamp
    1 x nau-72503 Nauticam Standard Clamp - Long
    2 x nau-72502 Nauticam Multi Purpose Clamp with Shackel
    1 x nau-25411 Nauticam Lanyard - 18cm w/ snap hooks
    1 x Cetacea Cloth coil/bungee lanyard Red
    2 x BAT-K-KJ17MCA 4BA Panasonic Eneloop AA Batteries - 4pack with Charger
    1 x BAT-BK-3MCCA8B A Panasonic Eneloop AA Batteries - 8-pack
  6. Should consider Eneloop PRO batteries. ;)

  7. Would consider Olympus UFL-3 strobes to take advantage of Olympus "RC" flash software. TTL perfection every shot! Won't work with Sea & Sea..

  8. Just as a side about the FlexiTray - get the 'FlexiTray II W' - its the same but comes with a tripod hole on the bottom.

     

    As to batteries most of the newer rechargeable are the same tech as Eneloop, like the Energizer's etc

  9. Would consider Olympus UFL-3 strobes to take advantage of Olympus "RC" flash software. TTL perfection every shot! Won't work with Sea & Sea..

     

    Are you saying that TTL won't work on my setup?

  10. I've just found out according to the "YS-D2 Slave function compatibility chart" that the EM5 mk2 does not support "DS-TTLⅡ" but does support "SlaveTTL", is this a big problem?

     

    It seems the EM1 supports both, is this a good reason to switch from the EM5 mk2 to the EM1?

  11. I'm looking at an EM10 mk2 for a trip to Socorro in May and find it difficult to decide between the WWL-1, OLY 9-18 or the PAN 7-14 for wide angle.

    The 7-14 OLY pro would be my first choice, but the cost is just too high for me and the required SLR size glass dome somewhat negates the benifit of an OMD for travel. Really hoping someone can point a novice in the right direction.

     

    Thanks for the help

  12. I'm looking at an EM10 mk2 for a trip to Socorro in May and find it difficult to decide between the WWL-1, OLY 9-18 or the PAN 7-14 for wide angle.

    The 7-14 OLY pro would be my first choice, but the cost is just too high for me and the required SLR size glass dome somewhat negates the benifit of an OMD for travel. Really hoping someone can point a novice in the right direction.

     

    Thanks for the help

     

    I had exactly the same decision and because of the following reasons choose the Oly 9-18:

     

    - the Pan 7-14 was my first choice, but the price and size on the dome took it off my list, as you say I want a small rig which is why I went with a micro 4/3 system

    - I also looked at the WWL-1, but this is a large quite expensive (when added to the cost of the internal lens and port) wet lens, and although versatile, I'm not sure I would want have to remove it underwater, and hang it on my BCD!

    - Wide angle for me is not the highest priority so I decided to compromise a little and get the 9-18mm, this lens has a has a reasonable 100% angle of view at the wide end, which is perfect for sharks, turtles, etc

     

    I suppose it depends what you want to shoot in the end, as I live in Curacao we get a lot more small stuff than big stuff, I may get a 8mm fisheye lens to add to my collection at sometime in the future if I think I need it!

    Edited by kstokell
  13. Thank you the reply.

    I fully admit that selecting a new camera is more than bewildering for someone looking to be more serous in underwater photography.

    My orginal thought was to purchase an RX2 but moved to the EM10 because the controls are to me, what a camera should have.

    I have an E-PM1 in an OLY housing, and all the button pushing is more than annoying. The Nauticam housings...are well worth the money to me now that I know better....the 60mm and 8mm FE is of more interest to me, options unavailable with a compact.

  14.  

    Are you saying that TTL won't work on my setup?

    I don't know? I can only speak to the fact that the "RC" flash feature is a proprietary software that works with Olympus Flashes. It sends the camera's readings to the flash to give TTL metering. Its very simple to just set your Olympus camera to "RC" flash and then connect to a Olympus strobe. I use a Olympus UFL-2 which also has a telescoping beam that senses from 12mm-40mm lens to focus more narrowly or widely the flash shutter. I never took a badly exposed macro shot my first time using it in Galapagos. Its just a very nice feature that you can only take advantage of by using a Olympus strobe. The newest is the UFL-3.

  15. I don't know anything about S&S strobe tech, but SlaveTTL sounds like the way most strobes work with a fiber optic connection, that is, by firing off the attached flash on the camera. FWIW, this is exactly how I use my Inon strobes with an EM-5 and it works absolutely beautifully. I don't see a downside in my pictures.

     

    As for the Olympus RC mode, I am glad it works for some but I gave up on it (with a UFL-2 and E-PL1) as buggy and unreliable.

  16. Since the 9-18 is getting a bad rap here, any of you have one you want to part with?

     

    I know this is probably blasphemy, but I love being able to use my 60mm macro and 9-18 in the same port on my Pen housing. I can also use the kit lens, but I never do.

    The flexibility is a huge plus to me.

     

    But, my 9-18 has developed an issue where after being zoomed to around 13mm or so I get the message:

    "Check status of lens"

    on the camera. I then have to cycle power on the camera and bring lens back into the wider ranges

  17. So after a lot of deliberating I have decided to switch from the EM5 MK2 to the EM1!

     

    I found it really annoying that the EM5 MK2 did not support DTTL-II, as I have got used to using this with my humble RX100 and I find being able to make small EV-compensation adjustments on the strobes really useful when shooting macro.

     

    It was a close decision choosing the EM5 MK2 in the first place and this has tipped me towards the EM1, plus the additional cost of switching was only $218!

    Edited by kstokell
  18. So my new and hopefully final list:

     

    1 x Olympus OM-D E-M1 Black, Body
    1 x Olympus Lens 60mm Macro M.Zuiko
    1 x Olympus Lens 9-18mm M.Zuiko
    1 x nau-17806 Nauticam Housing for Olympus OM-D E-M1 Housing
    1 x nau-36163 Nauticam Macro Port 65 for Oly 60mm Macro
    1 x nau-36149 Nauticam Focus Gear for Olympus 60mm M.Zuiko
    1 x nau-36137 Nauticam 4" wide angle port for Oly 9-18 and Sony 18-55
    1 x nau-36143 Nauticam Zoom Gear for Olympus 14-42mm and 9-18mm Lens
    1 x nau-32205 Nauticam Mirrorless Viewfinder, 45°
    1 x nau-25611 Nauticam M14 Vacuum Valve
    2 x SS-03117 Sea&Sea YS-D2 Strobe
    2 x Fiber Optic Cable - Sea & Sea to Nauticam Housing
    2 x nau-72203 Nauticam arm 5-inch
    2 x nau-72211 Nauticam Carbon Fiber Float Arm (60mm x 200mm)
    1 x nau-25311 Nauticam Ball Mount for Cold Shoe
    4 x nau-72501 Nauticam clamp
    1 x nau-72503 Nauticam Standard Clamp - Long
    2 x nau-72502 Nauticam Multi Purpose Clamp with Shackel
    1 x nau-25411 Nauticam Lanyard - 18cm w/ snap hooks
    1 x Cetacea Cloth coil/bungee lanyard Red
    2 x BAT-K-KJ17MCA 4BA Panasonic Eneloop AA Batteries - 4pack with Charger
    1 x BAT-BK-3MCCA8B A Panasonic Eneloop AA Batteries - 8-pack
    Edited by kstokell
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.