I have started to do "bite sized" films in going through my Raja footage. Otherwise I would be overwhelmed. I will make medium sized and large as well, but those take time and it takes much less time to edit a film on a specific subject.
I am giving people here the link of a film about a damselfish with a remarkable behavior. It is Dascyllus reticulatus. It lives in branching coral, including spectacular specimens of table top coral. Here, I think the species is Acropora pulchra, but I may be wrong about that one. I filmed some Dascyllus in the Misool area in a couple of different locations.
How many of you have seen this wonderful species?
My first contact with macro video. Sony FE 90mm GM OSS...
My first contact with macro video. Sony FE 90mm GM OSS...
Very nice Alfredo. I like your focus and the subjects are extraordinary!
Thanks but I need to inprove. I did it in two nights dives and was very triky tu use tripod and follow the subject...
I wish I had the money for an a7s model but unfortunately shooting with just a a7 mk ii underwater at the moment, still having a lot of the same issues with WB etc though but have found that if I shoot in the auto underwater mode and then push right to get into the kelvin setting of it and adjust it based on depth adding more magenta it seem's too come out the best, still not great though.
I then usually try to colour correct it in premiere which does an alright job depending on the scene... yet to figure out davinci properly though which will take some learning.
Thanks for posting Alfredo! As I mentioned on my comment on the Vimeo posting, I very much like the way the video lights illuminated the golden fish in the foreground. Nice work!
Some footage cut together from this morning's dive on Kal's Dream in Alor, Indonesia. Shot on a Sony A7RII in fixed white balance (5200k) with a pair of lights. Manual exposure, no picture profile, autumn leaves creative style.
Arguably a bit too saturated.. but that can easily be dialed down in post.
Beautiful video. Love the exposure and the perfect blue background. I guess we are able to get rid of the purple background that initiated this post Well done.
I have started to do "bite sized" films in going through my Raja footage. Otherwise I would be overwhelmed. I will make medium sized and large as well, but those take time and it takes much less time to edit a film on a specific subject.
I am giving people here the link of a film about a damselfish with a remarkable behavior. It is Dascyllus reticulatus. It lives in branching coral, including spectacular specimens of table top coral. Here, I think the species is Acropora pulchra, but I may be wrong about that one. I filmed some Dascyllus in the Misool area in a couple of different locations.
How many of you have seen this wonderful species?
Beautiful video and observation. I love watching the Dascyllus especially when they hide in the branching corals. They look funny.
Hey guys, just thought i'd get out of lurker mode and contribute here as well since i've been enjoying reading up on the discussions. I don't have a sony a7s but an a6500 here's a video I made from our latest trip from Sipadan, Malaysia last week.
It can also be accessed in briananddonna.com in case the link above doesn't work. I didn't get to use slog and having problems with manual white balance. I want to try using an atomos flame monitor and explore how to have a faster workflow for color grading since I just do this for fun. This is the second video I made with my new cam and editing with final cut.
Hey guys, just thought i'd get out of lurker mode and contribute here as well since i've been enjoying reading up on the discussions. I don't have a sony a7s but an a6500 here's a video I made from our latest trip from Sipadan, Malaysia last week.
It can also be accessed in briananddonna.com in case the link above doesn't work. I didn't get to use slog and having problems with manual white balance. I want to try using an atomos flame monitor and explore how to have a faster workflow for color grading since I just do this for fun. This is the second video I made with my new cam and editing with final cut.
Lovely colors, really. This was shot with a Sony? Looks like canon colors to me, very jelous!
Dustin:
Wow this is incredibly helpful and I very much appreciate it. I bought my a7s II because a filmmaker friend had switched over from Nikon to it and he was very enthusiastic. He was touting the inboard 4K and low light capability. I loved the mirrorless concept, and some of the lenses are fantastic. So I made the investment to purchase it, and the housing, and that was a considerable investment for me. I I really did not know enough at the time to appreciate that using a superb camera UNDER THE OCEAN is a very specialized form of cinematography. I never checked out the white balance issues and did not even think of it because I am a rookie, but who is still trying to learn as fast as possible.
Accordingly, I am going to do some tests on the next dive trip, which is in the Sea of Cortez in 3 weeks. I am also going to document the tests. Iwill do my best to do everything to manually white balance correctly, and will document it. I will also experiment with different picture profiles. It is possible that some of the issues can be corrected in grading or color correction. Thus, I will be testing the sLog2 and sLog3 picture profiles as these allow better color correction later.
Then i will make a little film of the tests, including the location and experience. Put it on the Internet. See what more I can learn.
I also bought the camera for filming above water. I want to make films, that tell stories, and to feature certain ideas, as well as film underwater. Most of the work of this camera, hopefully, will be of interviews of people.
So thanks so much for this helpful information. I will do the tests and then let you know how they come out.
George Paul
Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk
Lovely colors, really. This was shot with a Sony? Looks like canon colors to me, very jelous!
Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Shot with A7R II + FE 16-36mm and FE 90mm.
The most important is to shoot in golden hours. One or two hours after sunrise and before sunset. Otherwise you wont get rich colours. If you don't shoot at this hours you will need to go deeper to get nice colours with your lights.
Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk
Well done! Enjoyed it.
Thanks Lionfi2s. Anyone know how I can get the video to show just like the others? Or does it do that automatically when copying a link from Vimeo and Youtube?