Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sony a7s II underwater use -- All parameters

Started by GeoPaul7 ·

  • 319Posts
  • 319Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony a7s II underwater use -- All parameters

319 posts
  1. Thanks. Shot with A7R II + FE 16-36mm and FE 90mm.

     

    The most important is to shoot in golden hours. One or two hours after sunrise and before sunset. Otherwise you wont get rich colours. If you don't shoot at this hours you will need to go deeper to get nice colours with your lights.

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

    But that shot of the moray for example was shot without lights and just straight custom wb wasn't it. Doesn't look like theres any lights (unless u have serious power lights haha)

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  2. But that shot of the moray for example was shot without lights and just straight custom wb wasn't it. Doesn't look like theres any lights (unless u have serious power lights haha)

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

    Both moray were shot with lights. They are powerfull but not enough....

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

  3. Just lights and awb or custom wb with the lights? Which lights do u have?

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  4. WB 5500K. - 1.3 ev. Lights 2x 7000 lumens.

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

  5. Here you have a little video of a new serie for instagram shot at Komodo National Park...

     

    https://vimeo.com/218341048

     

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

  6. I currently have 2x 5000 lumen lights but yours seem much brighter. Which brand and model are u working with?

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  7. Youtube version...

     

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

    U-SEAS WSR-6000. 7000 lumens CRI 85.

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

    Edited by TaxiDiver14
  8. Hey guys, just thought i'd get out of lurker mode and contribute here as well since i've been enjoying reading up on the discussions. I don't have a sony a7s but an a6500 here's a video I made from our latest trip from Sipadan, Malaysia last week.

     

    Sipadan Movie (https://videopress.com/embed/Q4L172qQ?hd=0&autoPlay=0&permalink=0&loop=0)

     

    It can also be accessed in briananddonna.com in case the link above doesn't work. I didn't get to use slog and having problems with manual white balance. I want to try using an atomos flame monitor and explore how to have a faster workflow for color grading since I just do this for fun. This is the second video I made with my new cam and editing with final cut.

     

    Yes this is great. I see you have quite a few drone shots in here. Don't have a drone but am fascinated by what they can do. What kind do you have? Any complaints about the noise it makes when you are filming?

     

    Thanks for posting here.

     

    GLP

  9.  

    Thanks Lionfi2s. Anyone know how I can get the video to show just like the others? Or does it do that automatically when copying a link from Vimeo and Youtube?

    Not sure I understand you question. If you click on a link, it usually takes you to Vimeo or Youtube. If you click here, it plays small. Or, I think you can maximize it by clicking on the logo.

  10. Here you have a little video of a new serie for instagram shot at Komodo National Park...

     

    https://vimeo.com/218341048

     

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

     

     

    REally enjoyed this and I like the shorter films. What is going on with the square format? Is that something to do with Instagram?

  11. Yes is instagram that cut your video. This anoy me...

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

    Edited by TaxiDiver14
  12. Yes this is great. I see you have quite a few drone shots in here. Don't have a drone but am fascinated by what they can do. What kind do you have? Any complaints about the noise it makes when you are filming?

     

    Thanks for posting here.

     

    GLP

    Thanks for the thread too, I went through the same journey as you trying to find the ideal white balance settings to minimize color grading work in post. Next i'm looking to do is try a magic filter, red lens filter and lastly an external monitor.

     

    Yes the drone and the rest of the gear is quite new got it for the last trip in March to Coco's. I got the mavic pro and couldn't be happier with the decision. I believe it doesn't record audio from the drone itself but can do so from your phone as the mic. (As far as my newbie knowledge on it) but it's great for mixing up other perspectives than all u/w shots just for my preference.

  13. Not sure I understand you question. If you click on a link, it usually takes you to Vimeo or Youtube. If you click here, it plays small. Or, I think you can maximize it by clicking on the logo.

     

    Sorry for not being too clear. When others post a video a thumbnail and preview of the video shows but when I posted my video only the link shows. I tried both inserting hyperlink and just posting the link directly but both don't show. I'm wondering if it's bec. my video is hosted on wordpress and not on vimeo or youtube. I want it to be able to shoe the preview.

  14. Batfish school 4K

     

     

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

  15. Batu Bolong. Just this dive worth the trip to Komodo.

     

    Edited by TaxiDiver14
  16.  

     

    so beautiful your work! how many dives does it take you to collect a series of shots like this? I feel like it'd take me a whole 60min dive to capture one subject like this the time to setup the camera in position etc

  17. Hi guys, I did some underwater test shots for Manual white balance. I want to know. Are you able to see your camera settings when viewing your clips on photos, fcpx, videux or any software to manage your files? I want to be able to see what aperture, iso, white balance settings I had for each clip to help me determine the best settings.

    In photos (Mac app) you are able to see this information with pictures but not with video.

     

    Here is a sample image from the Photo's app. Of which I want to be able to see with Video Clips.

    18952794_10211576737408190_2628744710085

    Edited by Pyroracer
  18. Hi guys, I did some underwater test shots for Manual white balance. I want to know. Are you able to see your camera settings when viewing your clips on photos, fcpx, videux or any software to manage your files? I want to be able to see what aperture, iso, white balance settings I had for each clip to help me determine the best settings.

     

    In photos (Mac app) you are able to see this information with pictures but not with video.

     

    Here is a sample image from the Photo's app. Of which I want to be able to see with Video Clips.

     

    18952794_10211576737408190_2628744710085

     

     

    Use Catalyst Browse from Sony. Its free and provides all the information you can get from the XML file. Can also do color correction and basic editing but i dont use it for that.

  19. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. Would you know if FCPX can also show the data? I see import XML but for some reason the files are greyed out.

     

    Use Catalyst Browse from Sony. Its free and provides all the information you can get from the XML file. Can also do color correction and basic editing but i dont use it for that.

  20. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. Would you know if FCPX can also show the data? I see import XML but for some reason the files are greyed out.

     

    You are welcome! I am not using FCPX so cant comment. Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere shows some of the data but not as much as the Catalyst.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.