8 hours ago, Yehia said:
Hello,
I am planning to purchase pair of Retra Pro X with supercharger to use with my Sony A1 camera in Nauticam housing. I wanted to ask the experts here what exactly do i need to purchase to use TTL and HSS on the camera? i have heard some limitations with Nauticam housing and wondering if there are workarounds? I am interested to know what would be the final setup look (TTL converter, tigger, cabels, etc..) would appreciate your advises!
There is not a limitation with a Nauticam housing. There IS a limitation with a Nauticam trigger.. The Nauticam trigger only does Manual. It does not support TTL or HSS (as far as I know).
You need an optical trigger and 2 fiber optic sync cables.
Your options for the trigger are UWT and TRT (Turtle).
You need to verify for UWT and TRT that they do specifically support HSS for your model of camera. They both most likely do, but you should still verify before purchasing.
UWT and TRT have pros and cons.
UWT (which I use with a Sony a7rIV):
Pro: Good service and support.
Con: Does not have user-updateable firmware. It only supports certain specific models of strobe for TTL and HSS. If you get new strobes in the future, you would have to wait for UWT to update their firmware to support it - something that has seemed historically very slow on UWT's part - and then send your trigger back to them to have updated firmware installed before the TTL and HSS functions of the trigger would work correctly.
TRT:
Pro: User-updateable firmware. I think they even have a smartphone app you can use to change settings on the trigger. E.g. you are using it with one type of strobe, so the trigger is set for that. Then you have a strobe failure and want to switch to your backup strobes which are a different type. I think you can do that with the TRT without even opening the housing. With UWT, you would have to open the housing and turn a very small dial on the trigger board - if the board even supports your other strobes.
Con: I bought a TRT trigger. They sent me the wrong one. Their factory support to even determine whether I had the correct part or not was horrible. I ended up returning the trigger without ever using it and am not inclined to buy another one simply because of how awful the factory rep was.