Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

RETRA Strobe Thread

Started by guyharrisonphoto ·

  • 698Posts
  • 698Replies

Read-only discussion

RETRA Strobe Thread

698 posts
  1. Question about HSS

    I am shooting with Sony A7R4 and using Retro Pro X. I can't make the HSS work. I just updated the flashes using the app, but it still doesn't work.

    I am using the Nauticam flash trigger. 

    Do I need a different flash  trigger, or am I missing something in settings.

    Anyone knows?

  2. 8 minutes ago, Steen Nissen said:

    I am using the Nauticam flash trigger. 

    Do I need a different flash  trigger, or am I missing something in settings. 

    The Nauticam trigger does not support HSS. You need a UW-Technics trigger or TRT Electronics s-TURTLE.

  3. I use the UW-Technics trigger with Retra Pros for HSS. It works a treat.

  4. I use the TRT Electronics s-TURTLE trigger with my A7RIV and Retra Pro flashes and have no problems with HSS.

  5. Thanks guys. It looks like I need a new trigger.

  6. Retra Original strobes owner here.

    The TTL worked quite appropriately with my 70D popup flash, problem (anyway, a good problem) is that I am now switching to Canon R7 (NA housing) hence I need a trigger/converter. 

    I need your advice ; do you know of any converter that supports Canon R(3,5,7..) and Retra ORIGINAL strobes in TTL mode? I asked Pavel from UW Technics he replied to me he didn't test the Original Retras. 

    Have you users been confronted to TTL conversion issues with the Retra original strobes and a tier party converter?

     

  7. I’m really pleased with my decision to upgrade to Retra Pro-X flashes.  After 40 dives shooting wide angle with my 15mm Fisheye and 16-35mm WA lens, I feel like I can consistently get great quality of light in my images.

    I’m trying to master these flashes for macro photography and could use some guidance.  I currently have the LSD (Snoot) with two mask inserts with 6 holes with diameters of 30mm to 5mm.  I do not own any of the macro reduction rings or reflectors.

    My two primary macro lenses are 60mm and 105mm.  I also own an SMC-1 Nauticam Super Macro 67mm Converter.

    • Which reduction rings (Macro or Super Macro) would be appropriate for macro images using a 60mm or 105mm lens? With the SMC-1 and the 105 lens? 
    • Can the reflector be used for both a 60mm and 105 lens?  
    • When using the LSD, what is the role, if any, of the second strobe?
    • What is the range of optimum distances between the front port of the LSD and subject?
    • How practical is it to have a dive buddy/model use the Snoot as an off-camera strobe while maintaining neutral buoyancy with no tripod or muck stick?
    • How do you attach the various accessories to your BCD whilst diving?

    I apologize if these questions have been addressed previously.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  8. 4 hours ago, Redwing said:

    Can the reflector be used for both a 60mm and 105 lens?  

    The reflector narrows the beam angle and boosts intensity, but the beam it produces is not that narrow, it's not a snoot - in general, I have found reflector-adjusted beams to be wide enough when shooting my 16-50mm in a dome (APS-C), but not wide enough when shooting 10-18mm. In general, my primary use-case for the reflectors is taking distant shots of skittish subjects.

    4 hours ago, Redwing said:

    When using the LSD, what is the role, if any, of the second strobe?

    Usually I just turn it off. I have tried a couple times to compose a shot where one strobe would light the general area at low power, and the other strobe would create a highlight on a subject using the LSD, but have not been successful yet.

    4 hours ago, Redwing said:

    What is the range of optimum distances between the front port of the LSD and subject?

    The focus point of the LSD is 175mm from its front glass (in water! the behavior in air is different), this is where the spotlight is smallest, brightest, and has the sharpest edges. Further or closer than that, it gets bigger, with more diffused edges.

    4 hours ago, Redwing said:

    How practical is it to have a dive buddy/model use the Snoot as an off-camera strobe while maintaining neutral buoyancy with no tripod or muck stick?

    I've seen some people do it, but haven't had the opportunity to try it myself.

    4 hours ago, Redwing said:

    How do you attach the various accessories to your BCD whilst diving?

    Double-ender bolt snaps on shoulder D-rings. The diffusers, LSD, masks and the reduction rings used to mount reflectors all come with handy paracord loops that can hook up to those. Diffusers or reflectors on their rings can also go into BCD or thigh pockets, but the LSD is too big for that.

    Edited by Barmaglot
  9. 9 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

    The reflector narrows the beam angle and boosts intensity, but the beam it produces is not that narrow, it's not a snoot - in general, I have found reflector-adjusted beams to be wide enough when shooting my 16-50mm in a dome (APS-C), but not wide enough when shooting 10-18mm. In general, my primary use-case for the reflectors is taking distant shots of skittish subjects.

    Thanks.  Under what circumstances would you use the macro versus super macro rings?  And do you normally have these for each flash gun when not shooting with the LSD?

    Does the reflector attach to the reduction ring or the flash gun itself?

  10. 12 hours ago, Redwing said:
    • Which reduction rings (Macro or Super Macro) would be appropriate for macro images using a 60mm or 105mm lens? With the SMC-1 and the 105 lens? 
    • Can the reflector be used for both a 60mm and 105 lens?  
    • When using the LSD, what is the role, if any, of the second strobe?
    • What is the range of optimum distances between the front port of the LSD and subject?
    • How practical is it to have a dive buddy/model use the Snoot as an off-camera strobe while maintaining neutral buoyancy with no tripod or muck stick?
    • How do you attach the various accessories to your BCD whilst diving?

    As for me :

    1- I always use the super macro reduction rings on both strobes, except when I fit the LSD Snoot on.

    2- no experience with the reflectors although I don't see in which case it could be useful combined with macro lenses, honestly.

    3- None most of the time, however I do use continuous light sometimes to light up a specific or colorful part of the background.

    4- Never thought about the answer, depends on whether you like a definite circle of light around your subject or a more subtle light effect.

    5- VERY practical. I take a private guide 99% of my dives to help me shoot seriously. I have a longer optical fiber set on the strobe that is usuaIly dedicated to the snooting, as well as a clip arm so I can detach a part of the setup easily and give the strobe to my guide. I also use a muckstick.

    6- I m using a carabiner clipping the snoot to a D ring of my wing, I also have large OMS pockets on my belt where I can put a WeeFine divelight and various accessories.

    Edited by Luko
  11. 2 hours ago, Redwing said:

    Thanks.  Under what circumstances would you use the macro versus super macro rings?  And do you normally have these for each flash gun when not shooting with the LSD?

    I don't own the macro rings, and I only use the reduction rings to mount the reflectors.

    2 hours ago, Redwing said:

    Does the reflector attach to the reduction ring or the flash gun itself?

    The reflectors attach to reduction rings via o-ring friction. They do not have the three-lug bayonet required to attach to the strobe itself.

  12. While assembling my Retra Flash Pro X, I was alerted to install a new firmware update 3.11.  Was previously 3.4.  I'm curious what the upgrade was for and if there is anything I should be on the lookout for.

  13. 7 minutes ago, Redwing said:

    While assembling my Retra Flash Pro X, I was alerted to install a new firmware update 3.11.  Was previously 3.4.  I'm curious what the upgrade was for and if there is anything I should be on the lookout for.

    If you open the Retra app, then select Retra Flash there should be a box at the top that says User Manuals. If you select your flash type, the top menu item is "FW Update Details."

    Select that and it will provide a lot of information on what was changed/fixed in 3.11.

    - brett

  14. Thanks!

  15. I'd like to start using the High Speed Sync mode of the Retra Flash guns and I wanted to know if the strobe flash trigger in my Nauticam NA-D850 housing, pictured below, is compatible with HSS.  This version was standard when I purchased the housing in mid 2018.

    In any event, I plan to place the flash guns in HSS mode and increase shutter speed and see what happens.

    Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

     

    IMG_4612.jpg

  16. Others with more detailed knowledge will, I'm sure chip-in - but 2018 was pretty early days for HSS on the Retras. I'm not sure the strobes at that stage had HSS so the likelihood is that the trigger didn't either.

    That said, you can't go far wrong just by trying it.

    I've got a UWT board in my Subal housing that let's me use HSS on Retra ProX. It's a really great feature especially for those heavily backlight or sunball shots.

  17. 45 minutes ago, TimG said:

    I've got a UWT board in my Subal housing that let's me use HSS on Retra ProX. It's a really great feature especially for those heavily backlight or sunball shots.

    That's the issue I'm trying to address.  I've taken this system to the limit and need to push ahead.  That said, I was hoping this would be the year where I don't need to spend more on gear.

  18. 10 hours ago, Redwing said:

    That said, I was hoping this would be the year where I don't need to spend more on gear.

    Hope springs eternal eh? 

    :shout:

  19. 13 hours ago, TimG said:

    Hope springs eternal eh? 

    :shout:

    For sure.  And in this case hope is going to cost me $500 USD plus shipping.

  20. On 09/06/2022 at 23:15, TimG said:

    Hum, bizarre.

    J'ai des Pro X avec un D500 et le convertisseur UW Technics pour le Subal. Normalement je fais d'expositions sans TTL, mais je peux vérifier avec TTL ce week-end.

    Have you tried TTl? Are they reliable and accurate

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.