Unscrew the cap partially, grab the body and push down against a table. Then you can unscrew the cap and pull the lid.
Same for getting the lid of once it's on the strobe (be careful not to damage the o-rings).
Eventually it becomes easier.
Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic
Started by guyharrisonphoto ·
Read-only discussion
Unscrew the cap partially, grab the body and push down against a table. Then you can unscrew the cap and pull the lid.
Same for getting the lid of once it's on the strobe (be careful not to damage the o-rings).
Eventually it becomes easier.
Just pull hard and wiggle a bit, it's pretty sticky, especially when new.
Be careful when installing it on the strobe, the o-rings sometimes pop out of the groove and get pinched. No big deal, just pull out and reseat.
LOL, yeah, as the guys explain, its a question of unscrew and pull. A little unnerving the first time for sure.
Hi
I am hoping to get some more wise words from the forum.
I am trying to connect my recently acquired Retra Prime to the app on my phone. I turn the strobe to BATT TEST and hold down the PILOT button until it goes blue. No problems there.
I then run the Retra UWT app and clicked the ADDNEW DEVICE button. I get the animated spinner.. and that's it. It just stays there happily spinning away. Several reboots of both devices and I am no further. Interestingly if I look at nearby Bluetooth devices on the android Bluetooth screen it does "see" the Retra and it is the right serial number.
Do I need to reset the device or something like that? I did buy it second hand so presumably it was previously connected to another phone.
Any pointers gratefully received!
Paul
If you are using an Android phone then please go to system settings and App permissions. Allow “access to nearby devices” for the Retra UWT App. This is something specific on android phones with the new android software. If this is not checked the flashgun might not be visible in our App.
With the next update we will be able to alert the user if these settings are not correctly checked. This is something new that has come up with the android system, probably as an additional security feature.
Hi Paul
I hope this solves the problem for you.
Yep, the strobe was certainly connecting to my iPhone before it left for you. I updated the firmware twice, I think, without a hitch. Another update is now due.
Tim
10 hours ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:Allow “access to nearby devices” for the Retra UWT App
Thanks @Oskar@RetraUWT. That worked like a charm! After enabling this the strobe was instantly visible and I was able to connect.
@TimG - happy days! I was able to update the firmware and I set U1 to SmartSL as discussed in the other thread.
4 hours ago, Sandyzoo2 said:@TimG - happy days! I was able to update the firmware and I set U1 to SmartSL as discussed in the other thread.
![]()
Dear WetPixels
Am A happy owner of Retra strobes, the Pro X. Bought in December, now is the time to put the in the sea (...). Still in my office as new.
Fresh ENELOOP batteries (black), wired with Sea & Sea cable the same as with my YS110a, all as previous.
I open them, first for test, white color check and the green. All ok.
Then turn into Manual With -1 stop setting. Purple color stable. Fire on hole, strobes fire. Second fire in 1 sec, strobes does not fire. Wait a few (2-3 secs), strobes fire.
Is that acceptable? What am doing wrong?
Any advice is welcome since i will need to use them in expedition quite soon.
Thanks
Dimitris
Hi Dimitris
At -1 manual setting Retra Pros would normally fire back-to-back without an issue. Something isn't right.
Can you describe the whole system: camera, trigger mechanism, fibre or electrical connection?
What shutter speed are you using?
I have Aquatica Housing with Canon 80D, settings to MANUAL as in my previous setup with YS110a, electrical connection.
I try also to connect with bluetooth to the strobes but it takes way too long (even my bluetooth have kept the two serial numbers and i can pair them).
Any advice is more than welcome.
On 3/21/2022 at 9:08 PM, Oskar@RetraUWT said:If you are using an Android phone then please go to system settings and App permissions. Allow “access to nearby devices” for the Retra UWT App. This is something specific on android phones with the new android software. If this is not checked the flashgun might not be visible in our App.
Regarding the connectivity please see above.
4 hours ago, dpoursanidis said:I have Aquatica Housing with Canon 80D, settings to MANUAL as in my previous setup with YS110a, electrical connection.
I try also to connect with bluetooth to the strobes but it takes way too long (even my bluetooth have kept the two serial numbers and i can pair them).
Any advice is more than welcome.
You are using an electrical connection which would need the E-opto converter to fire? This works as manual flash only. what mode are you using on the flash? what about flash mode on your camera? These need to match so that the flash ignores any pre-flash from the camera.
11 hours ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:Regarding the connectivity please see above.
The issue was also with that and with the fact that the app is classified as system app and need to dig dipper.
Now firmware is updated and seems that works.
7 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:You are using an electrical connection which would need the E-opto converter to fire? This works as manual flash only. what mode are you using on the flash? what about flash mode on your camera? These need to match so that the flash ignores any pre-flash from the camera.
Yeap. Now after firmware update, seems that works fine.
The bizzare is that the fresh ENELOOP 2500m does not work as good as i expect. With few flashes and updates of firmware etc, drop below 30% in half an hour of work. Now i add new batteries and tomorrow first day in the water.
I would like to see 2 versions or one version similar to INON or S&S on how to use electrical connection or optical without any need of e-opto converters.
Hi everyone, looking for some of this group's wisdom. Is anyone using the retra pro x with the sony a1? Curious to hear it they can sync at 1/400 ss of the a1's.
I have this on the top of my list but my dive shop recommends the seacam 160D. Seacam just sounds overpriced IMO. What do you guys think?
3 hours ago, dpoursanidis said:Yeap. Now after firmware update, seems that works fine.
The bizzare is that the fresh ENELOOP 2500m does not work as good as i expect. With few flashes and updates of firmware etc, drop below 30% in half an hour of work. Now i add new batteries and tomorrow first day in the water.
I would like to see 2 versions or one version similar to INON or S&S on how to use electrical connection or optical without any need of e-opto converters.
You didn't answer the question regarding mode you are using, it's possible for example if you are in manual on the strobe and are using a mode on the camera that uses a pre-flash that the strobe is firing twice which would explain the long recycle times and battery life potentially.
6 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:You didn't answer the question regarding mode you are using, it's possible for example if you are in manual on the strobe and are using a mode on the camera that uses a pre-flash that the strobe is firing twice which would explain the long recycle times and battery life potentially.
Yes definitely check this. This is what happened to me before I followed the advice on here and set U1 to SmartSL. I have to take a calibration shot now each time I use the strobe.. but this is quick and hassle free. Previously the Retra had been firing twice which went undetected by my eyes!
6 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:You didn't answer the question regarding mode you are using, it's possible for example if you are in manual on the strobe and are using a mode on the camera that uses a pre-flash that the strobe is firing twice which would explain the long recycle times and battery life potentially.
I didn't check that - assuming that in M mode they will work as in with my YS110a. I will check that in the menu of Canon 80D, right? Thanks Chris for the advice !
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.