Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

The impact of DSLR APSC Phase Out on Underwater Photography

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 80Posts
  • 80Replies

Read-only discussion

The impact of DSLR APSC Phase Out on Underwater Photography

80 posts
  1. Woah...let's hope you are a fair bit off the mark here. I'm still hoping that Nikon at least, will continue on with DSLR's for a while. I mean a D500 refresh would be a juicy camera and I'm fairly sure we'll see a reboot of the D850. Of course, if people 'will them' to die off by words and action, then it would likely happen. Personally, I still prefer a DSLR over any MILC I've tried to date and Nikon's idea of adding more video functionality to DSLR's is a good thing.

  2. No Nikon has already announced last year there won’t be any follow up to the D500

    Currently they have 4 APSC DSLR in range and no future product announcements

    Nikon is adding video to the Z full frame mirror less nothing to DSLR

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Nikon is an odd company, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do or do not update the D500, no matter what has been said. It would however be a shame if they were to drop it altogether.

  4. Nikon is an odd company, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do or do not update the D500, no matter what has been said. It would however be a shame if they were to drop it altogether.

    The last APSC DSLR was released in 2017. Last announcements Z6 Z7 Z50
    Only full frame will continue for now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. What are great APSC alternatives to Nikon?

  6. What are great APSC alternatives to Nikon?

    DSLR only canon who released the 90D last year and that was it for DSLR


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. @Interceptor121 I want to give you the benefit of the doubt on the following statement:

    "The other issue is that Canon and Nikon are also behind in terms of autofocus compared to MFT, while they already are matching or beating Sony."

    Pls explain what you intended by this... because if you are suggesting that there is a MFT out there that has better AF then a D500+60mm I would suggest you need a broader perspective.

    What were you intending to communicate?

    Also - what Nikon suggested was that the Dxx line wouldn't see additional innovation (no more models), with the intention being that Nikon's next Z release will get photographers most or all of the way to a D500 mirrorless equivalent. They are expecting Nikon customers to make that jump and stay loyal to the brand. If they get any indication that is not the case, they will release "one last" Dxx body (D560?) to bridge the gap.

  8. Yeah, the AF remark also startled me. I'm a huge fan of micro four thirds, but AF is usually not considered their biggest strength. I know from your last article that you are basing this on the low light performance in S-AF, but there is a lot more to good AF systems than contrast detect S-AF. That said, I have neither experience with modern MFT bodies (newest is GX80/GX8) nor with the current competitors, so maybe my perceptions are wrong?

  9. @oneyellowtang

    Canon and Nikon mirrorless Autofocus is behind MFT and for sports also Sony

    Not talking about current DSLR APSC as that is a phase out range


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Edited by Interceptor121
  10. The problem is, that an endless number of reviews/tests exists, but it is difficult to rely on the scores/verdicts when one wants to draw conclusion for real life. This is not only because the testers have usually a strong "conflicts of interest", but also the test conditions are different, not to speak about different lenses, when AF tests are performed (in addition, for us UW-photographers, our "real-life" is just a small facette of the spectrum). As a results.e.g. Sony mirrorless cameras are regarded by some to have worst AF of all , while others think they have the best AF of all cameras...:lol:

    To me it seems impossible to draw conclusions without doing side-by-side testing on my own. Therefore the opinion of people that have several cameras and can directly compare them from their own experience seems to me the really valuable information...

    I find the test results of the latest Canon DSLR camera D90 remarkable: The reviewers find that AF in the mirrorless mode works already better than in the regular "mirror-mode": https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-review/8

    I had the opportunity to talk to several DSLR UW-photographers during a UW workshop last autumn: under delicate conditions (e.g. low light in caves), many used the "live-view" mode of their D850 and D500s, i.e. they use them in the mirrorless mode. Of course, AF will be worse compared to a dedicated mirrorless body...

    The improvement in AF of mirrorless cameras, together with the need for liveview mode makes me believe Massimo is right when he says the DSLR lines will be soon discontinued...

     

    Wolfgang

    tin realwith all these

  11. Yeah, the AF remark also startled me. I'm a huge fan of micro four thirds, but AF is usually not considered their biggest strength. I know from your last article that you are basing this on the low light performance in S-AF, but there is a lot more to good AF systems than contrast detect S-AF. That said, I have neither experience with modern MFT bodies (newest is GX80/GX8) nor with the current competitors, so maybe my perceptions are wrong?

    Single AF is a measure of shutter lag that is the most important parameter to get a shot underwater
    Majority or AF feature tracking etc are relevant for burst shooting wildlife and sports not for underwater that is single shots
    For those type of shots you need low shutter lag and good predictive focus for macro it is a different set of requirements


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. The problem is, that an endless number of reviews/tests exists, but it is difficult to rely on the scores/verdicts when one wants to draw conclusion for real life. This is not only because the testers have usually a strong "conflicts of interest", but also the test conditions are different, not to speak about different lenses, when AF tests are performed (in addition, for us UW-photographers, our "real-life" is just a small facette of the spectrum). As a results.e.g. Sony mirrorless cameras are regarded by some to have worst AF of all , while others think they have the best AF of all cameras...default_laugh.png

    To me it seems impossible to draw conclusions without doing side-by-side testing on my own. Therefore the opinion of people that have several cameras and can directly compare them from their own experience seems to me the really valuable information...

    I find the test results of the latest Canon DSLR camera D90 remarkable: The reviewers find that AF in the mirrorless mode works already better than in the regular "mirror-mode": https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-review/8

    I had the opportunity to talk to several DSLR UW-photographers during a UW workshop last autumn: under delicate conditions (e.g. low light in caves), many used the "live-view" mode of their D850 and D500s, i.e. they use them in the mirrorless mode. Of course, AF will be worse compared to a dedicated mirrorless body...

    The improvement in AF of mirrorless cameras, together with the need for liveview mode makes me believe Massimo is right when he says the DSLR lines will be soon discontinued...

     

    Wolfgang

    tin realwith all these

    Wolfgang am not the one saying APSC DSLR are being discontinued the manufactures are saying that

    Canon has stopped making new DSLR sensor models and sony stopped APSC DSLR too so any new APSC model would need to rely on stock of existing sensors

    Canon has also stopped full frame DSLR development but Sony is still making them for Nikon

     

    I believe reviews are not useful for our use case however some performance measurements are

    Shutter lag, low light AF low contrast are comparable

    Shutter burst rate, hit rate on birds are not

    Likewise a test showing a sony camera perfectly focussing on a basketball player in burst or video mode means nothing to us

    So you need to read between the lines for what matters

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Yeah, the AF remark also startled me. I'm a huge fan of micro four thirds, but AF is usually not considered their biggest strength. I know from your last article that you are basing this on the low light performance in S-AF, but there is a lot more to good AF systems than contrast detect S-AF. That said, I have neither experience with modern MFT bodies (newest is GX80/GX8) nor with the current competitors, so maybe my perceptions are wrong?

    You need a newer camera and Olympus has on sensor phase detect this is very useful for wildlife shooting


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. I certainly need a new camera. Unfortunately my wallet disagrees, so the trusty Em5 (Original version) will have to do. Luckily it is mostly a difference in features (AF, focus peaking) and video quality. Image quality is in my opinion just barely improving. 
     

  15. Sony announced a new 32MP APS-C sensor in December last, so they are obviously continuing to develop new sensors in this size. Whether any manufacturer will utilize this particular one remains to be seen, and of course, the APS-C sensor may be used in a mirrorless camera.

    For the past few models, Nikon has used Sony designed manufactured sensors...Nikon to "tweak" them, but this process takes place in house. 

    I was assured early last year by Nikon that future camera development would be exclusively devoted to mirrorless, but then the D780 happened! I think they need to continue to release some DSLRs as there is a vast pool of F mount lenses out there. I they no longer produce any F mount bodies, all those customers will have to change mounts...which would offer them the opportunity to chose brands other than Nikon. It would be a pretty bad idea for them to do so currently!

    I use continuous predictive AF (3D in Nikon speak) as my default focus mode on the D500 and D850. It is so good, it is almost cheating! 

     

     

     

     

  16. 28 minutes ago, adamhanlon said:

    Sony announced a new 32MP APS-C sensor in December last, so they are obviously continuing to develop new sensors in this size. Whether any manufacturer will utilize this particular one remains to be seen, and of course, the APS-C sensor may be used in a mirrorless camera.

    For the past few models, Nikon has used Sony designed manufactured sensors...Nikon to "tweak" them, but this process takes place in house. 

    I was assured early last year by Nikon that future camera development would be exclusively devoted to mirrorless, but then the D780 happened! I think they need to continue to release some DSLRs as there is a vast pool of F mount lenses out there. I they no longer produce any F mount bodies, all those customers will have to change mounts...which would offer them the opportunity to chose brands other than Nikon. It would be a pretty bad idea for them to do so currently!

    I use continuous predictive AF (3D in Nikon speak) as my default focus mode on the D500 and D850. It is so good, it is almost cheating! 

     

     

     

     

    @adamhanlon D780 is full frame not APSC they do make money in that segment and as I wrote it should go on a few years more. APSC however is dead and the new mirrorless from Nikon are totally focussed on full frame for professional use and Z50 just a basic model for non pro.

    Nikon have to choose if there is more value to go into the future or release camera for their customer base. The second option will probably mean the business will be extinct in less than 3 years. So for sure APSC DSLR is not the focus of anyone

    APSC sensor will of course continue as they go into Sony A6x range and they like megapixels!

    If Nikon will be able to offer same performance of AF on mirrorless I do not know at present it looks they are lagging and phase detect on sensor is much more software than hardware

    Edited by Interceptor121
  17. 1 hour ago, adamhanlon said:

    I was assured early last year by Nikon that future camera development would be exclusively devoted to mirrorless, but then the D780 happened!

     

    D6 announcement too

  18. 34 minutes ago, TimG said:

    D6 announcement too

    Guys am talking about DSLR APSC read the article first maybe

     

    I think you all should start getting used to an EVF by the way as Canon is putting those even on DSLR

  19. @Interceptor121

    I am fully aware that the D780 (and before you say it the D6 too) is full frame, I was using it as an illustration that despite Nikon telling me specifically that they were moving to developing mirrorless rather than SLR, they then released an SLR!

    I'm not sure anyone (except Nikon etc.) had the figures about the commercial value of APS-C vs Full Framer. The figures commonly used are from CIPA, but this does not differentiate. As underwater image makers, we tend to get a skewed impression, as the Nikon entry level SLRs offer limited lens compatibility. 

    The issue with APS-C is that it is hard to provide increases in performance...I would not state that Nikon will not release a new APS-C SLR, but rather that they will not do so until there are sufficient new performance advantages to make it a sensible decision. The delay between the releases of D300 and D500, also illustrates this. 

    Nikon has a well established user base, that are largely happy with the SLR format. It would be crazy for them to ignore this. 

     

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.