Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

The impact of DSLR APSC Phase Out on Underwater Photography

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 80Posts
  • 80Replies

Read-only discussion

The impact of DSLR APSC Phase Out on Underwater Photography

80 posts
  1. Just now, Barmaglot said:

    Canon still sells the EOS M line although its future is unclear. Nikon has the Z50 and Z fc in Z-mount. 

    EOS M will be discontinued

    But those are mirrorless. My original post was about APSC DSLR which is rather defunct

    The only people that are serious are fuji who have chosen not to compete and stay on APSC and Medium Format

  2. 1 minute ago, Interceptor121 said:

    EOS M will be discontinued

    Did Canon out and out say so? I mean, eventually it will, but who knows how long it's gonna linger in the market. Unlike Nikon 1 and Pentax Q, it's getting pretty good sales.

    23 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    But those are mirrorless. My original post was about APSC DSLR which is rather defunct

    Sorry, I'm not following... if you're talking about APS-C DSLRs, then how do Fuji X and Sony A6xxx factor into the conversation? 

  3. Sorry, I'm not following... if you're talking about APS-C DSLRs, then how do Fuji X and Sony A6xxx factor into the conversation? 

    Maybe I was not clear
    DSLR APSC is dead

    Mirrorless APSC is only a focus area for Fuji
    Sony uses their oldest line for the A6XXX canon has some almost dead products and Nikon has some unconvincing mirrorless APSC
    Overall not looking promising whichever angle you take


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. DSLR in general is dying, not just APS-C. The last holdout is Pentax, with all three of their remaining users.

    Sony doesn't place as much focus on APS-C as they do on full-frame, true, but still - ZV-E10 came out last year, and they released the 16-55mm f/2.8 G and 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G not that long ago.

    Canon M is far from dead, it's getting good sales, M6 II and M200 came out in late 2019, M50 II was released in 2020. Yes, the lens selection is limited, but from what I understand, most of EOS M sales are to users who never get anything besides the kit lens and maybe a small telezoom anyway, and if you want more glass - the entire EF and EF-S line is at your service via an adapter.

    Nikon Z50 is a pretty good camera; underwater it makes a high quality and very compact package with 15-45mm and WWL-C. It also has access to legacy F mount glass, although in Nikon's case there are more compatibility issues to consider with AF and aperture control.

    Yes, Fuji is putting most of their effort in APS-C X-mount, and still their AF lags behind the 'old' Sony...

  5. 3 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

    DSLR in general is dying, not just APS-C. The last holdout is Pentax, with all three of their remaining users.

    Sony doesn't place as much focus on APS-C as they do on full-frame, true, but still - ZV-E10 came out last year, and they released the 16-55mm f/2.8 G and 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G not that long ago.

    Canon M is far from dead, it's getting good sales, M6 II and M200 came out in late 2019, M50 II was released in 2020. Yes, the lens selection is limited, but from what I understand, most of EOS M sales are to users who never get anything besides the kit lens and maybe a small telezoom anyway, and if you want more glass - the entire EF and EF-S line is at your service via an adapter.

    Nikon Z50 is a pretty good camera; underwater it makes a high quality and very compact package with 15-45mm and WWL-C. It also has access to legacy F mount glass, although in Nikon's case there are more compatibility issues to consider with AF and aperture control.

    Yes, Fuji is putting most of their effort in APS-C X-mount, and still their AF lags behind the 'old' Sony...

    AF is probably the most overrated feature of a camera underwater

    But I think the biggest change for underwater photography is going to be mirrorless instead of DSLR it is just a matter of time and it is getting closer and closer especially as camera tend to have very fast EVF refresh all arguments about OVF are slowly dying

    Definitely time to move on 

    I started this thread long ago and now that the D500 is officially discontinued i wanted to relaunch the discussion

     

  6. 4 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    AF is probably the most overrated feature of a camera underwater

    Depends on what you're shooting - Jim Decker is certainly impressed with the Sony A1's capability to lock onto and track fish eyes even with 90mm lens + diopter, i.e. supermacro. Blackwater is also hugely dependant on AF. Wide-angle is less critical, true, but not everything is wide-angle. The D500's claim to fame was its unparalleled 3D tracking AF.

  7. Just now, Barmaglot said:

    Depends on what you're shooting - Jim Decker is certainly impressed with the Sony A1's capability to lock onto and track fish eyes even with 90mm lens + diopter, i.e. supermacro. Blackwater is also hugely dependant on AF. Wide-angle is less critical, true, but not everything is wide-angle. The D500's claim to fame was its unparalleled 3D tracking AF.

    I am not a big fan of supermacro that is true I find it pretty boring

    3D tracking always puzzles me you shoot something that is moving randomly in the frame ok for a naturalistic shot but with zero control of composition is like many birds in flight shots seen one seen all. 

    I generally do not even use CAF ...!

  8. I take it you don't shoot blackwater? Some amazing images to be found there; it's definitely not 'seen one seen all'.

  9. I take it you don't shoot blackwater? Some amazing images to be found there; it's definitely not 'seen one seen all'.

    Actually not and not planning to any time soon


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Massimo, chatting with you is a pleasure. :rofl::rofl:

  11. 19 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

    Massimo, chatting with you is a pleasure. :rofl::rofl:

    My wife says the same haha

    Sorry I can stand a fish portrait but some weird and wonderful blackwater image I leave to someone else

    Of course if I was there I would but would not exactly plan a trip

    Mind you the same goes on land I can take an image of a bee at times or a dragonfly but spiders are indeed ugly

  12. I have no information on this beyond what is being posted on the internet, and being pretty heavily invested in Nikon stuff, it does not have any direct impact on me, but supposedly being announced in March 2022:

    "One of the upcoming three new Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras will be the Canon EOS R7. This Canon EOS R7 will be an RF mount APS-C format mirrorless camera, which may incorporate the features of the M50 series and 7D series models. The official announcement will come as early as March 2022.

    The previous rumors said the Canon EOS R7 mirrorless camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”, to replace the Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR camera."

    Canon EOS R7 Rumored Specifications:

    • 32.5MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
    • DIGIC X Image Processor
    • UHD 4K60p & Full HD 120p Video Recording 10-Bit Internal Video
    • Sensor-Shift 5-Axis Image Stabilization
  13. 46 minutes ago, Draq said:

    I have no information on this beyond what is being posted on the internet, and being pretty heavily invested in Nikon stuff, it does not have any direct impact on me, but supposedly being announced in March 2022:

    "One of the upcoming three new Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras will be the Canon EOS R7. This Canon EOS R7 will be an RF mount APS-C format mirrorless camera, which may incorporate the features of the M50 series and 7D series models. The official announcement will come as early as March 2022.

    The previous rumors said the Canon EOS R7 mirrorless camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”, to replace the Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR camera."

    Canon EOS R7 Rumored Specifications:

    • 32.5MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
    • DIGIC X Image Processor
    • UHD 4K60p & Full HD 120p Video Recording 10-Bit Internal Video
    • Sensor-Shift 5-Axis Image Stabilization

    Canon has a clear strategy for what it seems as they are actively stopping the entire EF lens line after killing the camera

    We shall see if and when it comes to life

  14. Again, I have no knowledge, just posting something I saw.  maybe APS-C is not quite dead?

    image.png.9781c094239e9639ac87856e1d10471a.png

  15. Again, I have no knowledge, just posting something I saw.  maybe APS-C is not quite dead?
    image.png.9781c094239e9639ac87856e1d10471a.png

    APSC DSLR is dead


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. DSLR is mostly dead tech walking, regardless of sensor size, but APS-C format lives on.

  17. Just now, Barmaglot said:

    DSLR is mostly dead tech walking, regardless of sensor size, but APS-C format lives on.

    The reason for this post two years ago was that majority of good underwater photographer shoot a DSLR APSC camera

    With most of them out of production they will have to move on I guess

  18. 6 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:


    APSC DSLR is dead


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I think we all recognize that mirrorless is taking over, I was addressing the format size and that was the primary point of the original post, not mirrorless vs reflex.

    Mirrorless vs DSLR is not really important.  Mirrorless will continue to improve and DSLR will die off, but to me that progression is similar to the past progressions from manual to autof ocus and manual to auto exposure.  Format size, however, at least underwater, makes a big difference in cost, weight and bulk, and the death of DX would/will be unfortunate  A switch from reflex to mirrorless, in time, will be comparatively minor.

    Your premise was that "no other format [meaning APS-C] can match the choice of ports and lenses available to those shooters ."  I tend to mostly agree, but these factors are not governed by mirrorless vs reflex.  If Nikon continues making a DX format camera, they will likely continue making DX appropriate lenses and offer adapters for older lenses.  Same with Canon.  Sony kind of does its own thing.  If Nauticam (for example) keeps making N120 port housings, or even N100 housings and adapters, then the ports and extension rings will likely carry over. 

    In any event, I have not let my D500 see any of the reports that it is discontinued and its format is perhaps dying, so it is still happy.

    On the other, I bought the camera below as my first interchangeable lens dive camera when it was the small format hotness, and It is now confined to land, although somehow, despite being long discontinued by a company that no longer sells cameras, it still works.

     

    E330.jpg

  19. 7 minutes ago, Draq said:

    I think we all recognize that mirrorless is taking over, I was addressing the format size and that was the primary point of the original post, not mirrorless vs reflex.

    Mirrorless vs DSLR is not really important.  Mirrorless will continue to improve and DSLR will die off, but to me that progression is similar to the past progressions from manual to autof ocus and manual to auto exposure.  Format size, however, at least underwater, makes a big difference in cost, weight and bulk, and the death of DX would/will be unfortunate  A switch from reflex to mirrorless, in time, will be comparatively minor.

    Your premise was that "no other format [meaning APS-C] can match the choice of ports and lenses available to those shooters ."  I tend to mostly agree, but these factors are not governed by mirrorless vs reflex.  If Nikon continues making a DX format camera, they will likely continue making DX appropriate lenses and offer adapters for older lenses.  Same with Canon.  Sony kind of does its own thing.  If Nauticam (for example) keeps making N120 port housings, or even N100 housings and adapters, then the ports and extension rings will likely carry over. 

    In any event, I have not let my D500 see any of the reports that it is discontinued and its format is perhaps dying, so it is still happy.

    On the other, I bought the camera below as my first interchangeable lens dive camera when it was the small format hotness, and It is now confined to land, although somehow, despite being long discontinued by a company that no longer sells cameras, it still works.

     

    E330.jpg

    Does the nikon or canon adapter works fine with 3rd party lenses like Tokina?

  20. I assume you are asking about the D500 and not the Oly E330.  I have no idea about adapters; the D500 does not require them.  Hopefully someone else can help you with that.  Sorry.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.