Hi everyone, thank you for the excellent and informative responses.
Re: Isaac, I have definitely been experiencing back-focusing issues and I am sure it's what Edward has just informed us about as well. It's interesting that it affects the whole variety of setups with focus shift due to aperture. My macro lens, the new Nikon Z 105mm is supposed to have virtually no focus shift due to aperture changes, but then again maybe the EMWL magnifies even minor errors into significant ones.
I don't think what I'm seeing is problems due to diffraction really. Almost all of the problem is due to missed focus, after reviewing a hundred of my EMWL images. Very very occasionally I hit focus dead on, and I can see now that it was by accident, as when the lens back-focused and then I drifted into better position by accident.
Re: Thomas, nice clean images! I think you're getting good results but I do think that it's because you're helped out by the f22 DOF. But then again perhaps your particular setup is less prone to this focus shift issue? I would think it would be affected even more!
I've been hunting all day for possible solutions for my Nikon Z setup, or perhaps with a Canon setup RF setup (I like the EMWL enough in theory to consider particular camera/lens combos), but at the moment the only mirrorless camera that seems to provide the option of autofocusing at whatever aperture you set, especially small apertures (f8+) is the Fuji GFX. My Nikons actually all stop down to f5.6 and focus there, so in theory I could use the EMWL at f5.6 and it would focus correctly, but really f5.6 is quite limiting in terms of depth of field, especially considering what I use the EMWL for- macro distances. f16 would be more like it.
Re: Edward's 3 workarounds, only one is actually a workaround- that's using manual focus and focus peaking. And of course it's doable, just a huge bummer given that the promise of using the EMWL to a large degree was the ability to use autofocus. If the focus shift is as sensitive to small changes as it sounds, manual focus might be very difficult as well.
The first workaround, (use live view) doesn't really help the problem on mirrorless cameras, and the second (ask the camera to focus at the final aperture) is not actually possible on Nikon, Canon or Sony at the moment.
I can really only think of one additional possible workaround- with the lens set at the aperture you would use, and focusing at around the distance you would use, you can preset AF fine tune to correct for the focus shift problem of a particular lens/camera combo, through controlled testing topside (with the EMWL immersed in water through the neoprene sock trick). Even if that works, it would be very restrictive, as it means that your aperture will be locked in at whatever you set the AF fine tune for (although maybe focus shift isn't that much from f11 to f16?), and also your focus distance has to be the same as test conditions as well. That seems like a huge drawback.
Any more thoughts? I sure wish we could find a way to make this thing do what it was supposed to. As a professional I think unless I can find a way to make AF more reliable I can't actually use it for work.