I'm upgrading from a GH5 camera to full frame. I shoot both video and stills, so I'm looking for a true hybrid camera option. 8k (and preferably at 60fps) is important to me for future-proofing stock footage.
Through a series of incidents, I ended up in the possession of a Sony A1 (with EF 16-35F4 image-stabilized lens), Canon R5 C (with RF14-35F4 and RF15-35F2.8 image stabilized lenses) and Nikon Z9 (with Nikkor Z 14-30F4 lens), not image stabilized. I No underwater housings yet, but I figure I can put them through a series of top-side tests to figure out which is the most capable solution for an underwater shooter looking for a true hybrid camera. And since I'm doing the tests, why not share my results in a series of posts and invite you guys to suggest other tests as well. So let's begin!
Image Stabilization
I was worried that I'd be giving up something with the R5 C because it lacks IBIS. But for handheld shots and panning with the two lenses I have (both which come with lens stabilization), I didn't really see much difference as between the three cameras. Canon's lens stabilization seemed to make up for the lack of IBIS in the R5 C. The Z9's IBIS did just fine despite the 14-30 not having lens image stabilization. Overall, for non-moving handheld shots on land either trying to hold a particular framing or panning around, there was no meaningful difference in the results. All three were good.
Video Codecs - File Size
With 8k resolution comes massive file sizes. So which camera offers the best compression options when it comes to RAW and h.265 codecs? For reference, the GH5 shoots 4k 4:2:0 60p at 150mbps.
1. Raw Codecs - 8K60p
The Nikon Z9
- N-RAW at 8.3k60P (High Quality) - 5780mbps or 12 minutes on 512gb card
- N-RAW at 8.3k60P (Normal Quality) - 3740mbps or 20 minutes on 512gb card
- N-RAW at 8.3k30P (High Quality) - 2890mbps or 24 minutes on 512gb card
- N-RAW at 8.3k30P (Normal Quality) - 1740mbps or 40 minutes on 512gb card
The Canon R5 C
- Canon RAW LT at 8k60P - 2570mbps or 27 minutes on 512gb card
- Canon RAW ST at 8k30P - 1980mbps or 34 minutes on 512gb card
- Canon RAW LT at 8k60P - 1290mbps or 53 minutes on 512gb card
Sony A1 doesn't offer any 8K raw options. So the winner is clearly the Canon R5 C, with RAW LT files that are 75% the size of the Nikon normal quality files. I'll update this with info on how easy the raw codecs are to edit tomorrow.
2. h.265 LongGOP Codecs - 8K30p
None of the cameras offer an 8k60p non-raw codec. The R5 C and Z9 should in theory be able to film at those frame rates, so the limitation appears to be the MP4 compression pipeline. The A1 can't film at 8k60, only 8k30.
The Nikon Z9
- H.265 422 10 bit at 8k30 - 400mbps or 171 minutes on 512gb card
The Canon R5 C
- HEVC 422 10 bit - 8k30 (DCI) - 540mbps or 126 minutes on 512gb card - works with a V60 SD card.
- HEVC 420 10 bit - 8k30 (DCI) - 400mbps or 171 minutes on 512gb car
The Sony A1
- XAVC HS 8K 422 10 bit - 8k30 - 520mbps (131 minutes on 512gb card) OR 260mbps. For some reason, the 520mbps requires a CFEXPRESS TYPE B or V90 SD card. Won't work on a V60 card.
- XAVC HS 8K 420 10 bit - 8k30 - 400mbps or (171 minutes on 512gb card) OR 200mbps The 400mbps works with V60 card.
The A1 has the most compression options, including a codec that's half the size of the R5C and Z9 codecs. But the A1's weakness is that the highest quality 540mbps codec requires a V90 SD card, whereas the other two can record this format on cheaper (per GB) CFEXPRESS Type B cards. Thus.. no clear winner, in my view. If your goal is to have the smallest 8k30 files though, the A1 wins with file sizes 50% the size of those coming off the Z9 and R5 C.
3. h.265 LongGOP Codecs - 4K60p
The Nikon Z9
- H.265 422 10 bit at 4k60 - 340mbps or 201 minutes on 512gb card
The Canon R5 C
- HEVC 422 10 bit -4k60 (DCI) - 225mbps or 303 minutes on 512gb card
- HEVC 420 10 bit - 4k60 (DCI) - 170mbps or 402 minutes on 512gb card
- XF-AVC YCC 422 10 bit 4k60 (DCI) - 260mbps or 232 minutes on 512gb card
The Sony A1
- XAVC HS 4K 422 10 bit - 4k60 - 200mbps OR 100mbps (341 or 683 minutes on 512gb card)
- XAVC HS 4K 420 10 bit - 4k60 - 150mbps OR 75mbps OR 45mbps
Here, the Sony A1 has the most compression options, but comes last in terms of image quality because the 4k60 uses line-skipping, whereas both the Z9 and the R5 C downsample the full 8k sensor to 4k when filming at 60 fps. The Canon R5 C is the winner for most usable 4K60 LongGOP format, allowing for file sizes 66% the size of those from the Z9.
In the next post, I plan to cover Subject Tracking in Video, Animal Eye Detect and whether it works with Fish, Manual White Balance and battery life. But please ask me anything -- happy to run other tests if I can.