1 hour ago, Phil Rudin said:Fear not Wolfgang I am sure you will be pleased with the results behind the 170/180mm dome. The fact is that you can easily focus down to about 2 to 3cm in the 180mmm port. This zoom lens will get you a bit closer on the 70mm end with about a 1cm difference on the wide end. While I own several lenses that will focus all the way to the glass I can't ever remember wanting to ram my expensive port glass into the subject I am photographing. If you were to choose the 230mm option then it will be focusing inside the glass. I use the light in my pool to test close focus, it is 15cm (6 inches) across so you can get an idea of how close you can get at both ends of the lens.
I have used the Marelux Sony A7R V housing for these photos with the MX-180mm dome and 50mm of extension. The conversion for the Nauticam housing with the N100 to N120 35.5 port adapter would be an extension around 30mm with 180mm port.
Since the $1100.00US Sony FE 20-70mm F/4 covers the zoom range of both the $2300.00US Sony FE 24-70mm F/2.8 II and the $700.00US Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 I will not be investing in either of these lenses nor do I believe the F/2.8 aperture adds any value for U/W work.
Images both at F/13 AV light, #1 at 20mm and #2 at 70mm.
Focussing inside the glass occurs only if the extension is too long for the specific dome it is not related to the dome radius of its own
You can have a relatively narrow lens with an extension longer than necessary and focus on the dome however the loss of field view means the dome will have pincushion distortion and the edges will pull
Many lenses due to the lack of close working distance loose substantially field of view so they effective focal length is no longer 20mm or what you think
This is why a lens that focusses close combined with a correctly positioned dome bears better result and even so you can bet that your fisheye lens is nowhere near 180 degrees and your wide angle lens of 20mm is actually 22-24mm field of view due to to close focus point