A very sad story. And also quite freightening. Think about this: if airport bag handlers or TSA people can take stuff OUT of your bags, what can they put IN? Keep in mind that ABC did a survey of TSA agents at the NYC airports and found that more than half of them had criminal records. This is the security system that we taxpayers have bought and paid for. And it's no better, by the government's own accounting (reported this weekend) than the one it replaced. Just 50,000 more people on the federal payroll now in the TSA. How easy would it be for a terrorist to gain employment by an airline's bag-handling contractor? Open a Pelican case, remove a housing, replace it with another device and send it on its way. Sleep well on your next flight, friends.
And by the way, I recommend people not waste their money on the so-called TSA approved locks. Since their is usually just one key kept somewhere in the airport, the agents don't actually each have a key. If they are conscientious and not in a hurry, they MAY go find the key to open the TSA locks. But most of the time, they just cut them off. Also, the TSA locks I have seen are cheap and a couple I bought simply twisted open during routne baggage handling.
I just use zip ties, which allow me to tell immediately if my bags have been opened. They keep the latches from accidentally opening, and they are as secure as the most expensive locks.
I would certainly lodge a strong complaint with the TSA and write my congressman concerning your experience with our post 9-11 security. A lot of flights from San Juan go to New York. What will be on the next one?