Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Travel Warning: Don't Pack a Pelican

Started by cmm1970 ·

  • 116Posts
  • 116Replies

Read-only discussion

Travel Warning: Don't Pack a Pelican

116 posts
  1. Sorry to hear about your losses. AS of date I have always carried on my stuff, but my rig was not that big. I was thinking about getting a pelican but now I'm going to stear away from that and continue to take everyhting on board.

  2. Saturday last I flew San Francisco - Chicago - Manchester. Pelicase was opened by the TSA contractor (they left a card!) at SF. When it arrived in Manchester one TSA lock was missing and 1 had been forced. Missing was a new Otter box containing CF card cases (all empty as I carry full CF cards with me - they are more valuable than the gear as far as I am concerned).

     

    My guess at this stage is that the TSA checked everything and it was later opened by a thief who ignored the housing and flashes but who took a relatively easily pocketable item. This could have been in SF (most likely as most time), Chicago (possible but less time) or Manchester (unlikely as least time).

     

    I intend to make a substantial stink with the airline, police, homeland security, TSA contractor and anyone else - as a matter of principle. As has been stated before, it would be only too easy to add something (a bomb/drugs/whatever) and as we had all been warned about an increased threat status being in place, this seems ludicrous to me. The value of the stolen item was not great (but could have been and the expensive bits are of course fully insured) but the fact that the theft happened in what should be an extremely secure system is totally unacceptable.

     

    If I get anywhere I'll post the results.

  3. Saturday last I flew San Francisco - Chicago - Manchester. Pelicase was opened by the TSA contractor (they left a card!) at SF. When it arrived in Manchester one TSA lock was missing and 1 had been forced. Missing was a new Otter box containing CF card cases (all empty as I carry full CF cards with me - they are more valuable than the gear as far as I am concerned).

     

    My guess at this stage is that the TSA checked everything and it was later opened by a thief who ignored the housing and flashes but who took a relatively easily pocketable item. This could have been in SF (most likely as most time), Chicago (possible but less time) or Manchester (unlikely as least time).

     

    I intend to make a substantial stink with the airline, police, homeland security, TSA contractor and anyone else - as a matter of principle. As has been stated before, it would be only too easy to add something (a bomb/drugs/whatever) and as we had all been warned about an increased threat status being in place, this seems ludicrous to me. The value of the stolen item was not great (but could have been and the expensive bits are of course fully insured) but the fact that the theft happened in what should be an extremely secure system is totally unacceptable.

     

    If I get anywhere I'll post the results.

    I have had my TSA locks taken off and not put back on more than one occassion. I have had my suitcase pried open and broken. Where exactly is the S in TSA? Isn't the point that our baggage should be secure?

  4. I am too sorry to hear of all the loss and luggage violations. But, am I missing something here? Something obvious? Why are none of you sending your stuff prior to flying via Fed Ex or similar?

     

    Even prior to 9/11 David Doubilet was doing so already. Before he left NY, he already knew his gear was already safe and ready for assignment in Santa Barbara, Ca. Sure it costs more, but you can have it insured for the replacement value or more, you can track it exact location at any point and you can go light on your carry-on. If something gets broken in transit, you at least know about it ahead of time if your friend on the receiving end inspects and reports before you fly. Does it really take a NGM budget to do this?

     

    Just seems logical to me to bypass the whole security injustice and airline irresponsibility.

     

    Bo

     

     

    I have had my TSA locks taken off and not put back on more than one occassion. I have had my suitcase pried open and broken. Where exactly is the S in TSA? Isn't the point that our baggage should be secure?
  5. Great idea or...

     

    The larger the object the harder to take/steal so why not get a hard to cut cable and thread it through all the bits and even anchor it to the pelican case itself. That way they can still see inspect the contents but it makes it very hard to take certain bits.

     

    Plastic coated stainless steal cable is a bitch to cut even with bolt cutters.

    Something like this motorcycle lock cable.

  6. LOL....I just get this image of seeing this open and broken pelican case comming down the luggage shute with all housing parts in tow on a cable chain followed by a loose dome.

     

    Great idea or...

     

    The larger the object the harder to take/steal so why not get a hard to cut cable and thread it through all the bits and even anchor it to the pelican case itself. That way they can still see inspect the contents but it makes it very hard to take certain bits.

     

    Plastic coated stainless steal cable is a bitch to cut even with bolt cutters.

    Something like this motorcycle lock cable.

  7. Wow that story is a real bummer. What I do is still use the Pelican but I camoflauge it in a nasty old canvas navy bag I got from Army Surplus. Stains and all so I place the locked Pelican inside that cover with all kinds of old moldy laundry for my trip home. On my way out evrything is clean so I just pack beach towel and beach clothes around it!

  8. Wow that story is a real bummer. What I do is still use the Pelican but I camoflauge it in a nasty old canvas navy bag I got from Army Surplus. Stains and all so I place the locked Pelican inside that cover with all kinds of old moldy laundry for my trip home. On my way out evrything is clean so I just pack beach towel and beach clothes around it!

     

    Surely they'd still see what's in there as it goes thru an xray though? While they may not recognise a housing/ports/lenses, they'd be able to pick out that there's a camera body in there, or that it's a lot of technical looking stuff in a locked hard case?

  9. Yea, I use an old, dirty duffle bag for my Pelicans.

    It has a good betel juice stain (PNG inspection stamp!) right by the opening.

  10. I like having a 1500 Pelican along as a dry box on a boat so pack a well-used one in a duffel that gets checked in. However, the values go as carry-ons.

     

    Back in the good old days of just a decade ago I did bring and check in a gigantic Pelican case on wheels (a model 16 hundred something?), which was difficult to keep under 70 pounds. Not possible to use this today unless sent empty. I remember rolling this case fully loaded, well over 100 pounds, from hotels, down streets, and onto docks on day-tripper dives in Mexico, BC, and HI. Those were the days. :)

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  11. > Both Pelican cases made it home, but the Aquatica rig was no longer in the case nor were the ports, gears, or strobes.

    Be warned if you are traveling with your rigs in one of these cases. They must scream "TAKE ME, I can be sold on eBay".<

     

    I am paranoid after reading this post.

    I am going to PNG in 18 days. How can I pack a Nikon D-200, lenses, strobes, L & M Titan housing and all that junk as a carry on? I have the Pelican 1610 case chock full.

     

    Karen

  12. I carry everything on, except for some spare strobes, flashlights, etc.

     

    20060427-181043-dsc-07387.jpg

     

    js.

     

    > Both Pelican cases made it home, but the Aquatica rig was no longer in the case nor were the ports, gears, or strobes.

    Be warned if you are traveling with your rigs in one of these cases. They must scream "TAKE ME, I can be sold on eBay".<

     

    I am paranoid after reading this post.

    I am going to PNG in 18 days. How can I pack a Nikon D-200, lenses, strobes, L & M Titan housing and all that junk as a carry on? I have the Pelican 1610 case chock full.

     

    Karen

  13. Good pics of the luggage set up.

    What size are your/type packs are those?

  14. I carry everything on, except for some spare strobes, flashlights, etc.

     

    I cannot have 2 carry ons as of 2008 on Singapore Airlines. I guess I'm going to have to just say a prayer.

  15. Good pics of the luggage set up.

    What size are your/type packs are those?

     

    This thread might be useful over in the Gear Lust area:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22986

     

    We've been discussing the Think Tank Photo bags, and I've mentioned a couple of others that also looked like they might be usable to carry on much of the gear for plane flights: the Lowepro Vertex 300 AW and the Tamrac Adventure 9.

     

    I just paid $200 for a Lowepro Vertex 300 via an ebay storefront. Since I now have my Ike housing, 8" dome port, etc. by scavenging sales by other wetpixel members, it'll be interesting to see how much I can really get into it. I'm suspecting the dome port will have to go in checked luggage with the scuba gear, wrapped up in my wetsuit (as well as it's own neoprene face cover). Arms would also be checked. But I'm pretty certain I'll be able to get the housing, camera body and backup, 3 lenses, macro port, and 2 DS50s with misc batteries, charger, and my laptop into the bag. Time shall tell....

  16. JS: how much does each of those bags weigh? Has an airline employee ever tried to weigh your carry-on?

     

    Cheers

    James

  17. Says right there in the article. :-)

     

    "Each carry-on weighed 35-38lbs fully loaded."

     

    js.

     

    JS: how much does each of those bags weigh? Has an airline employee ever tried to weigh your carry-on?

     

    Cheers

    James

  18. I have a similar setup with a Lowepro Computrekker 17.

     

    I have yet to have my carry on luggage weighed (knocks on wood)

  19. More grief and a mystery...

     

    There's nothing tougher than a Pelican, so I risk one. I had trouble for the first time ever last month: TSA in Guam removed a pony cylinder, but left my photo gear behind. I usually put one complete rig (housing, one strobe, one port, one lens etc) in a LowePro, but even that has been too heavy for British Airways of late (15lb/7kg).

     

    As I was traveling back home I put my housing in the Pelican. All seemed OK when I got home, but when I opened the housing up I found that the rubber buffers were missing from the buttons on the back of the housing!

     

    Is there a rubber-moth on Guam, or does someone in the TSA have a Nexus housing that has now been refurbished?

     

    Tim

     

    B)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.